Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What up MLB?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

What up MLB?

Apparently MLB is pushing iTunes to remove team-related podcasts from the iTunes database. Both Gleeman and the Geek and Talk to Contact have been removed.

What the H, MLB?

2. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    What? They want less people interested in their product? What right do they have to restrict people from talking about a team? How is that even possible?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah.

Not a fan. Hard to rationalize this one, MLB. You don't own the rights to people talking about your product, not to mention the question why you'd want to restrict people talking about your product.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess MLB will go after websites like this one soon too.

Down with the bushwahzee!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    MLB is pretty bad. Yesterday I was trying to find video of William Ligue rushing the field but it's all gone.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,283 Times in 687 Posts

8. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (05-07-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    It's amazing to me that a billion dollar industry can be so totally incapable of grasping a basic concept like "if you give people ways to talk about and appreciate your product for free....there's a good chance you'll get some of their money eventually"

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    It's amazing to me that a billion dollar industry can be so totally incapable of grasping a basic concept like "if you give people ways to talk about and appreciate your product for free....there's a good chance you'll get some of their money eventually"
    Even moreso that they have no legal right to stop people from talking about their product, provided no copyrights or trademarks are being infringed upon.

This entire situation is absurd and I hope MLB catches a lot of flak for it.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Even moreso that they have no legal right to stop people from talking about their product, provided no copyrights or trademarks are being infringed upon.

This entire situation is absurd and I hope MLB catches a lot of flak for it.
    Yup and it extends to blocking radio broadcasts on apps and browsers and blacking out broadcasts.

It seems ridiculous to me that you would help your product by deliberately making it difficult for people to access it.

Senior Member MVP
    I bet not one of you will buy one less ticket though.....will anyone that listens to G&G? Until the serious fans rebel, they'll keep doing it. I think the bigger issue is taking all the games off of free tv. About 1/3 of the people I know have no** cable anymore.....I "cut" mine last week*

*still have super basic, but only to keep the TCO on internet access lower. This may change as I shop for providers

**I know, backward...whatever......the new antenna works great, mounted in the middle of the floor, attached to the bass guitar, sigh. Should probably spend time figuring out where to put it before the tv show comes on I want to watch.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 140 Times in 87 Posts
    I guess your going have to you use codes from now on. Like this is a podcast about Major League Barseball, focusing on the Minnecroda Twons.

They'll never figure that out.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

14. These 2 users like James's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-07-2014), Trautmann13 (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Thats dumb considering gleeman and the geek is about brunch and what two guys did last week. It isnt about twins baseball at all so it makes no sense to take it off. I wonder if all the good baseball podcasts have been taken off...the baseballamerica pc, effectively wild, the fringe average pc, or keith laws pc which hasnt been updated since feb. I sure hope not because it was so nice to have them in one central location. No way i go to sites anddownload each individually...big mistake.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apparently they don't want people to be fans anymore...
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Not to defend MLB, but I do understand the blocking of internet radio broadcasts and to a lesser extent the regional blackouts of TV broadcasts (although those regions need some tweaking).

And I guess I can see how they can technically request the removal of podcasts with trademarked material in their names. But over half of the pulled podcasts contain no copyrighted (at least by MLB) material in their name ---- Did Bonnes copyright "the geek" ----

Maybe they also targeted podcasts who had main contributions from people who work for a competitor of MLB's partners (ie. Gleeman's NBCSports being a competitor with Fox Sports)

I don't know. It seems very bizarre.

Also... what leverage does MLB have against iTunes?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is MySpace available?

19. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-07-2014)

I'm not a copyright expert by any stretch of the imagination....

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Minnesota Twins decided they liked the fact that there were two free podcasts out there that promoted their product, could they license their name (for a menial fee) to Gleeman and the Geek and Talk to Contact so that those two podcasts could use "Minnesota Twins" in their podcast description?

Senior Member MVP
    Um, if I listen to the Twins radio broadcast over the internet, that's a bad thing? There is zero reason to block that out. It is free over the air, why not free over the internet? As for regional tv......that's a bit trickier, but the regions are quite badly designed.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Am I going to have to start inserting *Trademark* every time I say the word Twins in conversation?
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 05-07-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: ©Boom Boom ™

23. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-07-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Um, if I listen to the Twins radio broadcast over the internet, that's a bad thing? There is zero reason to block that out. It is free over the air, why not free over the internet? As for regional tv......that's a bit trickier, but the regions are quite badly designed.
    Because MLB sells access to internet radio broadcasts to consumers. They don't want their local broadcast affiliates giving it away for free

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I guess your going have to you use codes from now on. Like this is a podcast about Major League Barseball, focusing on the Minnecroda Twons.

They'll never figure that out.
    Good idea. Might want to go with Lajor Meague Laselabb, just to be on the safe side.

26. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kevin (05-07-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast