Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: What To Do With Chris Parmelee?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interestingly enough, both got the Gardy treatment as rookies as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    You are missing the point. They debuted at essentially the same age -- my math error change is from 120 days younger to 245 days older. They both sucked for the first 600 plate appearances. One clicked at the end. One hasn't been given a chance. Given the alternatives, don't you think he should be given a chance now.

What Kubel could have been before the injury is irrelevant. Parmelee likely won't be as good as Kubel was in his prime but there is a chance that he could. He definitely could be better than Kubel now. And next year. Etc.
    Not that it's a huge deal, but your math is still wrong. According to B-Ref, Kubel was 22.098 at his debut, Parmelee 23.194. That's one year plus 96 days, or ~460 days. Kubel ascended through the minors much more quickly and thoroughly. (Heck, as good as Parm's debut was, it happened about a year earlier than it would have if the Twins season hadn't been lost in 2011.)

And I bring up the injury precisely because it explains WHY Kubel sucked for most of his first 600 PA. He completely wrecked his knee, missing a full season and being limited in the next, and having to become a very different, power-centric player in the process. Parmelee doesn't really have such an excuse ("only playing 5 days a week instead of 6" is fairly weak by comparison).

I still agree with your ultimate points, though -- I want to see Parmelee get another chance while we still can, and if Kubel is scuffling, it may as well come at his expense.

Liked 394 Times in 260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmellee is up. I am very happy about this, as I think he has earned it. I hope he earns a permanent roster spot barring injury.

What do you do when health comes back to Fuld, Arcia and Willingham?
    What do you think the Twins do?

I like the Parmellee/Kubel Hicks Arcia outfield with Fuld as the 4th and Kubel/Pinto DH the best of the options currently available. This would mean finding a trade partner, or 60 day DL/Release of Willingham and reducing a pitcher (preferably release Guerrier, I don't care how well he pitches) and sending Santana back to AAA.

I think Rob Antony with DFA Parms when push comes to shove. I don't think the Twins value Parmellee as much as I do.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Parmellee is up. I am very happy about this, as I think he has earned it. I hope he earns a permanent roster spot barring injury.

What do you do when health comes back to Fuld, Arcia and Willingham?
    What do you think the Twins do?

I like the Parmellee/Kubel Hicks Arcia outfield with Fuld as the 4th and Kubel/Pinto DH the best of the options currently available. This would mean finding a trade partner, or 60 day DL/Release of Willingham and reducing a pitcher (preferably release Guerrier, I don't care how well he pitches) and sending Santana back to AAA.

I think Rob Antony with DFA Parms when push comes to shove. I don't think the Twins value Parmellee as much as I do.
    If you value him so much, could you spell his last name correctly? Sorry, couldn't resist. I wrote about this in the "Roster Sausage" thread. If everybody gets healthy, I think a pitcher (Guerrier?) and Nuñez get demoted, but if Santana shows he's not ready, then he is optioned back and Nuñez stays. Also, at least temporarily, Arcia can stay in Triple A. He missed a game earlier with "soreness" and he isn't tearing the cover off the ball. Today and for the next week, I'd rather have Parmelee on the roster than Oswaldo. Arcia is younger, has more power and upside than Parmelee and youth and potential should be served.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Why use quotation marks around soreness?
    Because that's the term that was used for holding him out of the game.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moderator note, let's pretend the last few posts didn't exist and return this thread back on track. I see absolutely no value in implying that injuries are being faked, since those making those implications have no real evidence to prove it.

7. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (05-10-2014)

Liked 394 Times in 260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If you value him so much, could you spell his last name correctly? Sorry, couldn't resist. I wrote about this in the "Roster Sausage" thread. If everybody gets healthy, I think a pitcher (Guerrier?) and Nuñez get demoted, but if Santana shows he's not ready, then he is optioned back and Nuñez stays. Also, at least temporarily, Arcia can stay in Triple A. He missed a game earlier with "soreness" and he isn't tearing the cover off the ball. Today and for the next week, I'd rather have Parmelee on the roster than Oswaldo. Arcia is younger, has more power and upside than Parmelee and youth and potential should be served.
    Oops, one L, at least I didn't get the extra A in there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456