Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Morris in the booth

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Jack Morris in the booth

I have to say, when I first tuned in yesterday, I thought, "who is this doofus in there with Dick." It was just the tone of his voice.

But after watching considerable chunks of 2 games with Morris in there, I like him quite a lot.

I realize he isn't a hall of famer, and Bert is, but still ;-D

(I do enjoy Bert as well is should be said)

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Morris more than I like Bert. Bert's fun, and we know his voice/style, but I think there's better broadcasters. Not so much an indictment against Bert as a show of support for Morris. I usually go for the radio broadcast anyways, I enjoy Provus/Gladden considerably more than Dick/Bert.

3. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-07-2014)

Gladden is a great baseball announcer - agreed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    I like Morris, but the brief time I listened-in tonight, Morris was boring to irrelevant. Morris needs to "liven-things-up"--or forget TV.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    I have a feeling the TD member "Fire Dan Gladden" will not be hitting the like button on this post. I however, agree. I enjoy listening to our radio guys, I would take them over Dick and Bert. To each his own though...

7. This user likes righty8383's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I like Morris, but the brief time I listened-in tonight, Morris was boring to irrelevant. Morris needs to "liven-things-up"--or forget TV.
    I agree, he offers good insight but his delivery needs improving. At least he's not as bad as TK.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Morris is considerably better than Bert. Bert is kind of fun in that he is irreverent but he offers no insight. Morris will actually say something informative even if it doesn't reflect kindly on the home team. Provus / Gladden are far superior to the TV guys. Dick is Minnesota nice but he is such a homer that it really does get silly sometimes.

10. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    I felt terrible when the Twins let Morris go a year ago without even giving him a reason, so I'm really glad that he didn't hold any bitter feelings in coming back from Toronto this year to take Coomer's spot. He's not really "colorful" for a color guy, but neither is TK and the change up from Bert is always welcome from time to time just to hear different perspectives and maybe more importantly, hear some different stories!

12. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-06-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Please tell me this is sarcasm.

Cory Provus is fantastic and Gladden literally makes it hard to enjoy how fantastic Provus is.

14. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

Cory Provus is fantastic and Gladden literally makes it hard to enjoy how fantastic Provus is.
    While I don't particularly enjoy Gladden during his solo innings, I quite enjoy Provus and the Provus/Gladden combo is my favorite. The magic man used to grate my ear drums, but I've either peaked and tuned my ears properly to enjoy his broadcast, or I've just become immune to his spunk. Either way, I'm fully enjoying the radio broadcast.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    While I don't particularly enjoy Gladden during his solo innings, I quite enjoy Provus and the Provus/Gladden combo is my favorite. The magic man used to grate my ear drums, but I've either peaked and tuned my ears properly to enjoy his broadcast, or I've just become immune to his spunk. Either way, I'm fully enjoying the radio broadcast.
    Gladden doing his play by play innings causes this to happen.

17. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (05-07-2014), snepp (05-06-2014)

Some divergence of opinion here.

Let me say that Carneal was THE best, and there's the rest. I do like former players as color guys, because of the perspective they offer. I even like Coomer and Smalley.

I'm easy to please.

There are announcers I do find annoying though - LaPanta, American soccer announcers, etc.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dont know about anybody else but when I hear Herb Carneal and John Gordon I get goosebumps. I have taped twins games...occasdionally i find one and pop it. In my eyes those two set the standard. I always enjoy Dick and Bert cuz they make me laugh...and Im Dutch

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    If asked to rate Twins announcers, radio and TV, I'd rank them like this.

1. Provus.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

21. These 7 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (05-07-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-07-2014), JB_Iowa (05-07-2014), Sconnie (05-07-2014), scottz (05-07-2014), snepp (05-07-2014), stringer bell (05-07-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) I love Provus' work.
    2) Gladden is an OK color guy, but his play by play stinks.
    3) Bert is fun, but over the course of a season, the repetitive nature of the schtick gets grating and I'm too old for the Bert Blyleven drinking game.
    4) I am waiting for Dick to say "Yeah, yeah, Bert we know, at the major league level" now all you folks watching us at the bar have to take a shot.
    5) I too miss Herb Carneal.
    6) Morris is a refreshing sub for Bert, but not exactly ice cold lemon aid refreshing, more like cool glass of water refreshing

Number 1 said at first " I love Provus" but I've never met the guy. I might, but probably not as much as my wife and daughter, but you never know.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 05-07-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some divergence of opinion here.

Let me say that Carneal was THE best, and there's the rest. I do like former players as color guys, because of the perspective they offer. I even like Coomer and Smalley.

I'm easy to please.

There are announcers I do find annoying though - LaPanta, American soccer announcers, etc.
    The Panther is a much better hockey guy than baseball.

24. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    There are announcers I do find annoying though
    That list starts with Hawk Harrelson. No matter how goofy Bert gets, I always know it could be much, much worse.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post

I find Gladden a mixture of horrifying and delightful, but not in a positive way.

Some of his statements are unintentional comedy gold.

27. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-07-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    That list starts with Hawk Harrelson. No matter how goofy Bert gets, I always know it could be much, much worse.
    Rex Hudler is worse. I'd rather listen to the semi-competent homer that is Hawk Harrelson over the guy who makes Dan Gladden look like Albert Schweitzer.

Not a fan of Jack Morris as an announcer. His delivery is just so dry and monotone. With Tom Kelly we at least get some insight and quirky commentary to go with his drone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast