Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins@Indians 5/6 6:05PM

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Game Thread: Twins@Indians 5/6 6:05PM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 50.

Twins:
    SP, Deduno

Dozier 2B
    Fuld CF
    Plouffe DH
    Colabello 1B
    Kubel LF
    Suzuki C
    Escobar 3B
    Herrmann RF
    Santana SS

Indians:
    SP, Tomlin

Morgan CF
    Swisher 1B
    Brantley LF
    Santana 3B
    Murphy RF
    Cabrera SS
    Chisenhall DH
    Gomes C
    Ramirez 2B

--------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Sam Deduno -- It's surprising how things work out sometimes. After watching many many Twins games last year. I was of the solid opinion that Sam Deduno was our top starting pitcher last year. I actually believe there was little doubt about that. If it wasn't for his injury late in the year... Sam's ERA was on the low side of 3. With the injury... he closed up shop for the year at 3.83. In comparison to the rest of the staff... that was the best starting pitcher we had and it wasn't really close. So you can imagine my surprise when Sam Deduno was not part of the opening day 2014 rotation. I totally understand the need to acquire arms for depth and I totally understand the need to get Kyle Gibson into the rotation. I was just shocked that the top starter from 2013 was still on the squad and out of the rotation. With the injury to Mike Pelfrey... Sam Deduno is back and starting and that's where I think he belongs. Don't screw this up Sam... Take this job and hold on to it. I don't care if we win or lose... I just don't want egg on my face. It's way past breakfast.

2. Eduardo Escobar -- He's been hitting the ball well and Pedro Florimon has not been doing that. Members of Twins Daily are losing their minds that Florimon has remained the starter at SS after careful consideration of what is happening at the plate. Escobar is from Venezuela which is a country just south of Idaho. Average rainfall in Venezuela is yet to be determined because it hasn't stopped raining yet. Venezuela is Spanish speaking but only Chris Colabello can truly understand it.

3. The Rubber Band Theory -- It's my theory and it's now officially a theory after advancing from the hypothesis stage with a victory over Cleveland last night. The Rubber Band theory in it's most basic form simply states that the Twins will rise and fall from the median of a .500 winning percentage and immediately snap back to 50/50 as if connected to it by a rubber band. At some point the Rubber band will snap from the pressure of a 162 game schedule and the team will head in the direction the team is determined to go.

4. North Dakota -- I spent a lot of time driving the state last weekend... I had a lot of time to think about North Dakota and did some research when I got back. North Dakota was part of the Dakota Territories... "Dakota" comes from a misunderstanding. Early Norwegian Settlers were simply saying "it's Cold Out". With thick Norwegian accents... "It's Cold Out" was misheard as "Dakota" and the rest is history. North Dakota and South Dakota were divided up and granted statehood in 1889. Both states wanted to be called North Dakota and after much bloodshed... the conflict was settled by a coin flip... South Dakota lost and was forced to be called South Dakota forever and ever.

5. Regina -- I had a surprise visit today from a friend of mine from Regina Saskatchewan and we went out to lunch. I was surprised by his visit and I wondered why he didn't call me to let me know he was in town. He explained that they don't have cell service in Regina and his rotary phone didn't work in the United States. He was a football player and he moved up to Regina to play football with the Saskatchewan Roughriders but he was confused by the 55 Yard line and ended up taking a job with Creek Management for the city of Regina. The City of Regina was built along the Wascana Creek. The Mighty Wascana became important in the growth of the city as transportation of goods and services shipped on Toy Boats... one box of crackers at a time. In his job... He routinely walks the entire length of Wascana Creek from Vibank to Tyvan making sure that all the frogs are well fed. He says the hardest part of his job is catching all the flies himself and hand feeding the frogs... he is also annoyed by the occasional slipping into the creek and getting his socks wet. After an IQ test determined that he was one of the brightest people in the city... He has decided to change careers... enrolling in the RCMP National Training Centre. He was always a fan of Dudley Do-Right and plans to spend his career as a Mountie policing Victoria Park... protecting all from Snidely Whiplash and helping people find their way back after getting lost visiting the Cenotaph. He has a wife named "Nell" and a Horse named "Horse". That isn't all that surprising since 64 percent of Reginese people own horses and 82 percent of them are named "Horse" The other 18 percent are named "Donkey". The City Council actually has two Appaloosa's serving a two year term representing the Germantown and South Albert Street districts. He's doing well and enjoys visiting Grand Forks but it's a little hilly for him. On a clear day... he can see Saskatoon 160 miles away from his back porch and Russia from his front porch.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 05-06-2014 at 03:52 PM.

2. These 3 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-06-2014), Reider (05-06-2014), Willihammer (05-06-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana in his 1st start. Mauer in his 2nd day on the bench. Eddie at 3rd. That's just how I roll.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Spoilers: Escobar at 3rd, Santana at short. Still no Mauer.

Going to miss the first few innings for Agents of SHIELD, because that's how I roll...
    Last edited by crarko; 05-06-2014 at 03:31 PM.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

5. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-06-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Danny Santana to make first major league start

LEN3 tweeted tonight's lineup. With Mauer out again Plouffe to DH, Escobar playing third, and Santana making his first mlb start at SS.

Exciting evening ahead for Mr. Santana and Twins fans alike!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Most important - no Florimon!! Tonight's one-man bench - Pinto. (Mauer injured, Pedro worthless)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Congrats to Mr. Santana.
    Lighten up Francis....

9. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-06-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glad to see Gardy finally worked Danny into the lineup. He showed last night that his speed can be a game changer - I hope he gets a few chances to swipe some bases tonight.

That being said, this is an interesting night to start him. Deduno has historically been a ground ball pitcher - and Santana has a well documented history with errors (He has 5 in Rochester this year already). He might have a lot of opportunities tonight...

It's true that Deduno's ground ball rate is lower this year and his K% is higher, but one has to wonder if that's just the small sample size of working out of the 'pen throwing things off.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Games like last night are 11-dimensional chess matches.. I predict we win tonight on a Pinto squeeze bunt that scores Florimon..

12. These 4 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (05-06-2014), glunn (05-06-2014), Reider (05-06-2014), Riverbrian (05-06-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Games like last night are 11-dimensional chess matches.. I predict we win tonight on a Pinto squeeze bunt that scores Florimon..
    Hollywood couldn't script it better.

14. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm sure Chris Herrmann is a great guy, but shouldn't there be another (real) outfielder on the roster by now?

Pinto's not even DHing and Herrmann is still out there.

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Hollywood couldn't script it better.
    The killer rabbit might also make an appearance for you

17. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I'm sure Chris Herrmann is a great guy, but shouldn't there be another (real) outfielder on the roster by now?

Pinto's not even DHing and Herrmann is still out there.
    It's not like Herrmann can't catch a fly ball--- oh wait

19. These 3 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-06-2014), Riverbrian (05-06-2014), Sconnie (05-06-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Gardy keeps running Herrmann out there, because he was promised he would hear some of the Hermits music after a month or two. sigh. I am much better at complaining than writing jokes. I'll do better later, after I've been out, "working".
    Lighten up Francis....

21. These 4 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (05-07-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-06-2014), Riverbrian (05-06-2014), USAFChief (05-06-2014)

Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Gardy, Gardy, Gardy...you have a guy on your team OPSing 2.000 as a DH and you decide to play him at SS??!?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

23. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (05-06-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Gardy, Gardy, Gardy...you have a guy on your team OPSing 2.000 as a DH and you decide to play him at SS??!?
    This guy knows.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v32650533/gar...40506_23364974

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature around 50.

5. Regina -- I had a surprise visit today from a friend of mine from Regina Saskatchewan and we went out to lunch. I was surprised by his visit and I wondered why he didn't call me to let me know he was in town. He explained that they don't have cell service in Regina and his rotary phone didn't work in the United States. He was a football player and he moved up to Regina to play football with the Saskatchewan Roughriders but he was confused by the 55 Yard line and ended up taking a job with Creek Management for the city of Regina. The City of Regina was built along the Wascana Creek. The Mighty Wascana became important in the growth of the city as transportation of goods and services shipped on Toy Boats... one box of crackers at a time. In his job... He routinely walks the entire length of Wascana Creek from Vibank to Tyvan making sure that all the frogs are well fed. He says the hardest part of his job is catching all the flies himself and hand feeding the frogs... he is also annoyed by the occasional slipping into the creek and getting his socks wet. After an IQ test determined that he was one of the brightest people in the city... He has decided to change careers... enrolling in the RCMP National Training Centre. He was always a fan of Dudley Do-Right and plans to spend his career as a Mountie policing Victoria Park... protecting all from Snidely Whiplash and helping people find their way back after getting lost visiting the Cenotaph. He has a wife named "Nell" and a Horse named "Horse". That isn't all that surprising since 64 percent of Reginese people own horses and 82 percent of them are named "Horse" The other 18 percent are named "Donkey". The City Council actually has two Appaloosa's serving a two year term representing the Germantown and South Albert Street districts. He's doing well and enjoys visiting Grand Forks but it's a little hilly for him. On a clear day... he can see Saskatoon 160 miles away from his back porch and Russia from his front porch.
    Friends with Mark Zuckerberg and Jimmy Wales I assume? Very informative fellows.

26. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-06-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Excited to see Santana and Deduno!
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

28. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (05-06-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Liked 484 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post

4. North Dakota -- I spent a lot of time driving the state last weekend... I had a lot of time to think about North Dakota and did some research when I got back. North Dakota was part of the Dakota Territories... "Dakota" comes from a misunderstanding. Early Norwegian Settlers were simply saying "it's Cold Out". With thick Norwegian accents... "It's Cold Out" was misheard as "Dakota" and the rest is history. North Dakota and South Dakota were divided up and granted statehood in 1889. Both states wanted to be called North Dakota and after much bloodshed... the conflict was settled by a coin flip... South Dakota lost and was forced to be called South Dakota forever and ever.
    Funny! Did they ever keep the coin? I bet it's worth a lot due to its historical significance.

Though i remember listening on the radio when Dakota was reunified a while back. I was under the impression the state was arbitrarily split up because other states were afraid it would be too square. Anyway, people were very happy at the time. I think the news program i heard it on was... let's see... Prairie Home Companion. But it's been a while...

30. This user likes sampleSizeOfOne's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-06-2014)

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    That's quite the story about Regina considering that's where I live. When did they start putting meth in your mouthwash? Also, what former Rider are you friends with?

I agree with you on most of your opinions about the Twins (re: Deduno, Escobar etc..). I"m happy Santana is getting the start at SS today. I want to see what he has. I wasn't impressed with his defense in spring training. I hope he's ready to go.
    Last edited by Reider; 05-06-2014 at 05:40 PM.

32. These 2 users like Reider's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-06-2014), Riverbrian (05-06-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Mauer still not available to pinch hit? Pop some ibuprofen old man, the bench is looking mighty thin tonight (I'm not counting Flori as a PHer, I just can't do it).

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast