Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Ricky Nolasco and the Declining Strikeout Rate

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Don't forget about the Suzuki Effect! There was a pre-season article here on TD about his propensity to call more fastballs than other catchers. He may be over-emphasizing the fastball for Nolasco, but it could be the reason Gibson and Hughes are having success. Just a thought.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Don't forget about the Suzuki Effect! There was a pre-season article here on TD about his propensity to call more fastballs than other catchers. He may be over-emphasizing the fastball for Nolasco, but it could be the reason Gibson and Hughes are having success. Just a thought.
    We were also told to expect better framing. I would think that would create more strikeouts. Our guys should be getting more called third strikes and be ahead in the count more often. Hughes is at his normal k rate and Gibson and Nolasco are down.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 05-07-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    It is hard to frame Nolasco's pitches if he can't hit the mitt.

This very small sample size and lets look at circumstances the Twins have played in this year. Nolasco strikeout pitch is the curveball what have twins played in this year but cold weather and with this cold weather its hard for pitcher to get a feel for the ball when youre freezing. Also I think it takes something off of their fast ball to so spreads between pitchers pitches become less. Also he's in new league trying to learn batters plus facing DH which changes the numbers. Another thing too the Twins defense in outfield has not been stellar and doesn't look to improve much near future. I willing to bet his statisics by year end will be prettly close to carreer norms except for figuring in the DH VS pitcher hitting.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    If Nolasco and Gibson continue to hit bats instead of occasionally missing them, whatever feel-good sentiment I once had for Rick Anderson will be completely gone.

Or maybe it's already gone. I can't find anything good to say about him anymore.
    If this continues, they'll eventually run out of patience with him and his boss. It's about three years overdue for me.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Nolasco just read this post before his start tonight

9 and counting
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar