Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mariano Rivera Torn ACL - Twins Trade Opportunity?

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mariano Rivera Torn ACL - Twins Trade Opportunity?

With the torn ACL injury suffered by the Yankees Mariano Rivera last night while shagging fly balls during warmups in KC, the Yankees might be looking for some bullpen bolstering. I'm assuming the capable David Robertson goes to the end spot but that New York might be interested in a 7th or 8th inning option. Do you think Matt Capps would be appealing to them in trade for a mid-level prospect in return?

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt it. Only person I could see them wanted out of our bullpen is Perkins.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    The Yankees also have Rafael Soriano . . . I would agree that Perkins would be the only attractive option to New York (or possibly a guy like Slama). But maybe the Miami Marlins would take Matt Capps? A little insurance for the awful start from their closer Heath Bell? It's a bit too early for teams to be looking to trade anyone, though. Things might heat up after the June draft.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Sounds great for the Twins, but the Yankees know that Capps would get destroyed with that short porch at Yankee Stadium.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'd deal Capps for salary relief, and save that money for giant signing bonuses for pitchers next year, but I doubt that happens...
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    btw, this is sad news. He is one of the great players of all time, and this sucks.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you crazy? Twins are just lucky they got Capps.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Sounds great for the Twins, but the Yankees know that Capps would get destroyed with that short porch at Yankee Stadium.
    Correct!
    I would think the Yanks would put more value on a pitchers ability to get outs, as oppossed to 'getting after it' and 'battling his tail off'.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    btw, this is sad news. He is one of the great players of all time, and this sucks.
    Yeah I hate the Yankees, but Rivera is a legend. Hate for his career to end this way.
    I bent my wookie...

I don't know, when a team is losing they have to consider trading just about anyone. Capps is no different.

Oh, you mean about Rivera. Yeah, that was pretty rough.

I would be shocked if the Twins start trading off anyone at this point. They may be sellers, but to start trading pieces away 24 games into the season is a loud message to the fans for the next 4 1/2 months that this team isn't going to be competitive. They may not be competitive anyway, but it's still about having the illusion that they could be. Maybe a month from now, if they haven't picked up any steam, I could see Capps or someone being dealt, but right now no chance.... in my opinion.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Yankees are not so desperate to trade for a true middle reliever and make him Mariano Rivera's successor.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    The Yankees are not so desperate to trade for a true middle reliever and make him Mariano Rivera's successor.
    If there was such a transaction, I would think they'd be moving some of their current relievers around and Capps would slot in somewhere other than closer. And of course that's a big if at the start of that first sentence.

Blog Entries
    Unlike the Twins, the Yankees might (quite ironically) realize that they can get Cappsesque relief help for a fraction of Capps' cost. There is zero chance that they are going to foolishly pursue Matt Capps.

The Yankees have David Robertson, Rafael Soriano, Phil Hughes (guessing will get moved to 'pen soon), Boone Logan. Why exactly would they be interested in Capps?

Blog Entries
    By the way, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Yankees brought Rivera back next year on some sort of goodbye final relief outing. I sure hope something like that happens.