Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: What if Mastroianni and Ramirez . . .

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries

What if Mastroianni and Ramirez . . .

are better than Thomas and Plouffe? The Twins added Mastroianni and Ramirez in the offseason, seemingly to be big league potential talent. Instead neither has been promoted to the Twins while Thomas and Plouffe have been terrible for the Twins (aside from turning one great double play for Plouffe).

Hughes and Burroughs were at the bottom of the OPS leaders and next . . . Thomas and Plouffe!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 510 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While this is dealing with the last positions on a bad baseball team, I think Mastrianni may be an improvement over Plouffe and Thomas. Ramirez has only worked his way up to AA IIRC. I advocate giving Plouffe three weeks to a month to see what he has and if he's found wanting, DFA him.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I woudn't be so sure that they are improvements over Plouffe. clearly, they may be improvements over the 4-33 Plouffe, but I still have belief in Plouffe (For some reason). Ramirez was brought in on a minor league deal, but he is very intriguing to me because just two years ago, he was a Tigers top prospect.

You don't DFA Plouffe, you play him. He needs to be given ABs this season. DFA a #1 pick at age 25 without ever giving him a real shot? Replace him with a guy who strictly plays OF? Plouffe is the utility infielder on this club. He's not getting replaced by a 5th OFer.

Mastroianni replacing Clete Thomas makes perfect sense and i'd like to see this happen today.

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpb8 View Post
    You don't DFA Plouffe, you play him. He needs to be given ABs this season. DFA a #1 pick at age 25 without ever giving him a real shot? Replace him with a guy who strictly plays OF? Plouffe is the utility infielder on this club. He's not getting replaced by a 5th OFer.

Mastroianni replacing Clete Thomas makes perfect sense and i'd like to see this happen today.
    I agree. They need to know exactly what they have with Plouffe - give him 30 starts in a row in RF and evaluate after. Thomas should ride the pine during this time or be replaced by Mastroianni or really, anyone else. There's no value in having him hold down a roster spot.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,193 Times in 636 Posts
    Plouffe should be given more time, to think we've seen everything we're going to get is impulsive. All the guys advocating that he be released, are the same guys who rail against the Twins because some other former prospects of ours are actually playing elsewhere. It's too soon.

I 'll go along with Mastroianni replacing Thomas, even if it's just to improve the teams overall SO ratio.

Plouffe is still young, the question is can he be a role player or do the Twins NEED to find an everyday spot for him (a la Cuddyer). Hey, Dinkelman, could he return?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even with 2011's Rochester numbers, in 1414 plate appearances in AAA, Plouffe's OPS is .767 and before 2011 he was consistently around .720-.730 in the minors. That makes last year's .697 OPS seem fairly spot-on. Is that level of production what is desired from a potential RF candidate?