The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Riffing on the Rotation

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    Does Pino project as the next Swarzak? That's kind of the vibe I get from his career path and most likely role to contribute.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Antony talked to Provus before the game today. He insisted Pelfrey's velocity problem was mechanical, not physical.

I assume a drop like that has to be physical but, maybe Parker has spotted something?

I am so much more optimistic this year than last. If Nolasco can start striking people out, we might be average.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    No expert but I imagine change in velocity can come from length of stride, cock of wrist, angle of arm, turn of shoulder and probably a dozen other things. I have mentioned it before but mechanics can cause my golf shots to vary greatly in length and when I am in the groove it is effortless, longer and more in control. Pelfrey appears to be on the flip side of that. I am guessing mechanical. I also think he should work it out in the minors. I like Pelfrey but it is gut check time.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Does Pino project as the next Swarzak?
    By this you mean someone the Twins will keep trying/grooming as a MLB starter over the course of several seasons before giving up and at least getting some value out of him?

7. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-05-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-05-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm fairly pleased with Hughes myself. I always thought he could be a good value for the twins, especially playing at Target Field, and so far that seems to be true. I do think he's going to do something to finish off hitters a little more efficiently if he's going to take another step forward; he doesn't have missed bats right now and while the foul balls are fine, it does show a problem in finishing off a hitter. Maybe Bobby Cueller can teach him a change up? Regardless, the 3 year deal is looking like a good one right now.

I'm happy to see Deduno finally getting into the rotation. I wasn't a fan of the Pelfrey signing, especially since it was a multi-year deal. (In the economics of baseball, a 1 year deal will cause little damage) So far he's been beyond terrible. The DL seems to be a facing-saving maneuver for Pelfrey, who does seem like a good guy. But they just can't keep running him out there.

I'm really hoping that the rotation keeps on this run of quality starts so the team can get back to a reasonable bench as Arcia and Willingham get healthy. Now, if the team could only do something to fix Florimon, who has (amazingly) gotten worse at the plate...

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    By this you mean someone the Twins will keep trying/grooming as a MLB starter over the course of several seasons before giving up and at least getting some value out of him?
    No the other way Swarzak has developed usefulness,

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    When is Deduno scheduled to start?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post
    When is Deduno scheduled to start?
    According to the Twins site, tomorrow.

I like Duduno if nothing else for the entertainment factor. He misses bats...but he may hit the mascot.

I guess you weren't at the game on 4/9 where Hughes threw over 40 pitches in the most excruciating inning (the 1st) I've ever witnessed in person. Whatever, maybe I'm jaded but I've been burned so many times after getting my confidence in a pitcher up (see Pelfrey by the end of last season) that I would say the jury on Hughes is still most decidedly out.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan214 View Post
    I guess you weren't at the game on 4/9 where Hughes threw over 40 pitches in the most excruciating inning (the 1st) I've ever witnessed in person. Whatever, maybe I'm jaded but I've been burned so many times after getting my confidence in a pitcher up (see Pelfrey by the end of last season) that I would say the jury on Hughes is still most decidedly out.
    One bad inning offsets all the good innings he has pitched in the past five weeks?

The only ugly thing about Hughes' line right now is his ERA. He has been considerably better than his runs allowed thus far and his ERA has been plummeting as his luck normalizes.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,283 Times in 687 Posts
    I'm going to play this song through Deduno's entire start tomorrow......and love it.

16. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (05-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Antony talked to Provus before the game today. He insisted Pelfrey's velocity problem was mechanical, not physical.

I assume a drop like that has to be physical but, maybe Parker has spotted something?
    We can look at the spray charts and movement (or lack thereof) and see that he's not finishing his pitches. He's kind of pushing the ball toward the plate. The question is, can he finish his pitches, or is a hidden injury preventing him from doing so.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    I am so much more optimistic this year than last. If Nolasco can start striking people out, we might be average.
    I don't expect him to strike as many people out as he did in the NL. He's a junk ball pitcher. Pitchers can't hit junk.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    It can be a little frustrating to watch batters repeatedly fouling off 3-2 pitches as Hughes continuously pumps letter-high fastballs at them. Like they say, though, beggars can't be choosers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    is a hidden injury preventing him from doing so.
    This wouldn't be the first pitcher who came back too soon from TJ surgery and had a dead arm or injured his shoulder overcompensating.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    I'm hoping the Twins will be able to avoid those lengthy losing streaks with their current rotation.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He (Deduno) was the team's best starter last season
    How? W-L ratio and ERA?

fWAR: Pelfrey 2.1, Correia 1.7, Deduno 1.1
    FIP: Pelfrey 3.99, Deduno 4.04
    normalized WHIP (ie. WHIP * (.290/BABIP)): Correia 1.31, Pelfrey 1.33, Deduno 1.35
    IP: Correia 185.3, Pelfrey 152.7, Deduno 108.
    K/9: Pelfrey 5.95, Deduno 5.58
    BB/9: Correia: 2.19, Pelfrey 3.12, Deduno 3.42

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast