Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moves that are warranted

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries

Moves that are warranted

Everybody remembers the 1987 season and the Buck Ninety Kid, Tim Laudner. He was on a great team and his catching skills were more important than average. In any event, the Twins have a couple of players batting less than a Buck forty, including Florimon in a major role along with Hermann. I believe Florimon has options left and he should be shipped to Rochester and replaced by Bernier. Hermann should be replaced by Parmalee. The problem with both moves is that Bernier and Parmalee are not on the 40 man roster. I think you DFA Hermann for Parmalee. We still have Fryer on the 40 man if god forbid Hermann gets claimed. As for Bernier, with Escobar taking over as everyday SS, he is way more valuable than Florimon because he can play multiple positions and Florimon cannot. While not as good with the glove, Bernier can certainly hit better. At this point I think you DFA Wilson off the roster. Buxton will be in New Britain soon anyways, so not a big deal if Wilson gets claimed. That still leaves Gardy with two catchers, but he can get over it. I'd leave Arcia in Rochester after his rehab is over. Hicks will send Santana back when he's ready.

In the new era of player responsibility, we cannot afford to have a Starting SS who cannot hit and another backup OF who cannot hit and even drops fly balls.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Florimon is out of options, but would clear waivers in all likelihood. Opening his roster spot could make room for an additional position player. Possibly Parmelee, who deserves it the most.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Florimon is out of options
    According to TD's resident roster and payroll expert, Florimon has used just 2 option years, 2010 and 11.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

4. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (05-05-2014), stringer bell (05-04-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Why do we care if they lose florimann?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I think it's more likely that Arcia and Nunez are up at some point during the road trip. The 40-man move that might have to happen by Thursday is who to remove in order to add Guerrier.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Is Guerrier a better option than Tonkin?

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    CF situation can be SS situation if they are not careful

9. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (05-05-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    With an eye to 2015, no

Twitter
    @crarko
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    I like Tonkin. I'd vote for replacing Burton. If I had a vote, that is.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Blog Entries
    I think Guerrier is an upgrade over Tonkin for the short term. The later has some things to iron out in his delivery to be more consistent. You can't afford to have the kind of melt down he had the other night if you care about winning, which they should care about. Tonkin has options. Guerrier has an opt out. I think they'll make that move.

I also think Burton's job is in trouble. Maybe Tonkin will go down and get himself straightened out in time to take that in a month or so. From what I have seen, that is optimistic.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 161 Times in 102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If it is true that he is a great defender at SS, those skills are rare. Defense saves runs and wins games. He turned a bad throw from Hughes into an out. It could have been runners on second and third no outs top first.

It is a myth that there are lots of great defensive shortstops (or catchers) in the minors. Some teams would care about losing him.

14. These 3 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (05-05-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-05-2014), Tibs (05-05-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Well at least the Red Wings are in Columbus starting tomorrow, should make it easy to shuffle the roster. I don't like Santana sitting, so I guess I'd like to see what Nunez can do also since he was back playing today, maybe he's getting close to ready

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bernier has one skill, a versatile glove. If Escobar is the regular SS, the Twins need to have someone who can hit a little or run a bit as a utility guy. I see the Nuñez played for the Red Wings today. Overall, he would be the better fit as a utility infielder. If Mauer is out for any period of time, DL or not, adding Parmelee and optioning Herrmann makes sense. The Twins still need someone who can play center, unless Hicks is ready in the minimum amount of time. Of course, it may be that the Twins need a center fielder because Hicks isn't a big league hitter.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Florimon down. It's just not working and he offers no current value other than as a defensive replacement over another good fielder. What?

Bernier for now. He brings a decent glove, can flex to a couple positions, and even if he hits terribly he's probably still a better threat and contributor than Florimon at this point. Sorry, but it's true.

Nunez up to replace Bernier when ready. Younger, a better bat, and some potential still.

Also agree with sending Herrman down, though I still like him as a versatile player who can make contact, hit a bit, show good doubles power with a few HR's tossed in. But he needs to play every day at AAA instead of playing a yo-yo game. I'd rather not DFA him is what I'm saying. I think there are other options to work with.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Florimon down. It's just not working and he offers no current value other than as a defensive replacement over another good fielder. What?

Bernier for now. He brings a decent glove, can flex to a couple positions, and even if he hits terribly he's probably still a better threat and contributor than Florimon at this point. Sorry, but it's true.

Nunez up to replace Bernier when ready. Younger, a better bat, and some potential still.

Also agree with sending Herrman down, though I still like him as a versatile player who can make contact, hit a bit, show good doubles power with a few HR's tossed in. But he needs to play every day at AAA instead of playing a yo-yo game. I'd rather not DFA him is what I'm saying. I think there are other options to work with.
    It doesn't make sense to bring up Bernier for a week--a 40-man move would have to be made and if he were quickly demoted, he'd either have to stay on the 40-man or be exposed as a DFA.

Here are the moves I think are warranted right now--Nuñez for Santana (no point in keeping Santana in the majors to sit on the bench), Parmelee for Herrmann (one Chris can't hit and one might have a chance). Arcia for Florimon as soon as Arcia shows he is ready (I'm thinking less than a week). Going to two catchers shouldn't be that big a problem since Pinto has cooled and there would be multiple candidates to DH and play corner OF. Definitely Colabello should only be a DH and 1B and he and Kubel shouldn't be playing every day.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I like Tonkin. I'd vote for replacing Burton. If I had a vote, that is.
    I vote crarko gets a vote.

20. This user likes AM.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-05-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    According to TD's resident roster and payroll expert, Florimon has used just 2 option years, 2010 and 11.
    Well, great. Maybe he can "re"discover his swing in AAA while Nunez becomes the utility guy.

22. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (05-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
    Danny Santana hasn't been on the field yet, has he? Was the promotion just to reward the kid with some Major League catering? I assumed that he would have played in at least one of the Baltimore games.
    I missed the part where his call up was explained - did the Twins want a longer bench but Nuñez wasn't ready yet? Is Santana expected to play in the Cleveland series?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I missed the part where his call up was explained - did the Twins want a longer bench but Nuñez wasn't ready yet? Is Santana expected to play in the Cleveland series?
    Yes, and, how the heck would we know, respectively.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
    right on - I thought maybe it was mentioned on the radio or tv telecast what the plan for using Santana was (I was at the game on Saturday, and missed seeing/hearing Sunday's game live).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast