Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Orioles@Twins 5/4 1:10PM

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Game Thread: Orioles@Twins 5/4 1:10PM

Game-time forecast: Mostly cloudy. Winds blowing from left to right field at 1-5 m.p.h. Temperature around 50.

Orioles:
    SP, Gonzalez

Markakis RF
    Machado 3B
    Cruz LF
    Jones CF
    Wieters C
    Hardy SS
    Young DH
    Pearce 1B
    Schoop 2B

Twins:
    SP, Hughes

Dozier 2B
    Mauer 1B
    Plouffe DH
    Colabello RF
    Kubel LF
    Suzuki C
    Fuld CF
    Escobar 3B
    Florimon SS

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to think about:

1. Home stand -- The Twins wrap up the cold home stand this afternoon. It was supposed to be a 9 game home stand. Losing a game against Detroit and It will be 8 and the Twins are currently 2-5. I certainly don't have to tell anyone here that 2-6 for a home stand isn't very good. 3-5 is OK... The season is on the line this afternoon.

2. Phil Hughes -- Still wondering what he have here but I'm starting to get encouraged. He's had the occasional bad inning but his hang a zero in an inning percentage is really good. Phil wasn't my first choice this off season... Maybe he should have been.

3. Manny Machado -- When we played the Blue Jays... I went on and on about Brett Lawrie from a defensive standpoint. If I did that and I did. It's only fair that I do the same for Manny Machado. Manny is part of the elite three. Lawrie... Arenado and Machado. His arm strength is ridiculous... The throws he can make across his body so effortlessly defy logic. Machado was a SS converted to 3B to fill a hole. Many assume he will be a SS again some day. Watching him play 3rd... I assume the Orioles are not in a hurry.

4. Brian Dozier -- And if we are going to talk about elite defense... I'm ready to place Dozier at the top of the 2B rankings. I think he belongs in a group with Brandon Phillips... Omar Infante and Jose Altuve. And I'm thinking right now... If I had to pick number one... It's Dozier. Dozier was a converted SS and some assume he will be a SS again... Watching him play 2nd... I assume the Twins are not in a hurry.

5. Illinois -- Recent Gallup Poll survey results were released. The question was simple. If you had the choice to move to another state... Would you leave your current home state. Illinois came in at #1 with a whopping 50% of residents saying they would leave if they could. Connecticut was #2 at 49%... And Maryland was #3 in the get me outta here category with 47%... Followed by:
    Nevada 43%
    Rhode Island 42%

On the other side... Hawaii, Montana and Maine have the least amount of residents who would leave if they could... All tied with 23%

Minnesota faired pretty well... 25% would leave... 75% ain't going anywhere!!! South Dakota was right behind Minnesota at 26%.

Why did I type this? What's my point?

No point really... I just feel sorry for ChiTown and Ashbury.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 05-04-2014 at 11:03 AM.

2. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (05-04-2014), Willihammer (05-04-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Happy Star Wars Day.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

4. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (05-04-2014), LaBombo (05-04-2014)

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I wo-wo-wo-wo-wonder, who will play, the game made up by Abner Doubleday?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

7. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (05-04-2014), Circus Boy (05-04-2014), LaBombo (05-04-2014), Riverbrian (05-04-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Uh oh...Gardy put his only other 3B as DH. What if Escobar gets hurt and Plouffe has to move there and we lose our DH?!?

/CatcherLogic.

9. These 5 users like Beezer07's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

amjgt (05-04-2014), GCTF (05-04-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-04-2014), mike wants wins (05-04-2014), Mr. Brooks (05-04-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,935 Times in 1,135 Posts
    LOL ... I'd leave if I could, too! And I will, eventually ... when I win the lottery or when I retire ... whichever comes first.

11. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-04-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Uh oh...Gardy put his only other 3B as DH. What if Escobar gets hurt and Plouffe has to move there and we lose our DH?!?

/CatcherLogic.
    Esco/P-Flo/Dozier/Mauer.....This is the team's best defensive lineup in the infield, by far. Santana, our future, now former, SS heir-apparent-turned-Super-Util will be playing 3rd in the event of injury. Gardy will never violate the unwritten "DH can't go to the field in-game" sanctity.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-04-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    btw ... a little off topic ... I just posted a blurb over in the minors ... Buxton has been added to the Miracles' roster. I think that means he's ready for play. Yay! Wonder how long before he's promoted then to AA ...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    btw ... a little off topic ... I just posted a blurb over in the minors ... Buxton has been added to the Miracles' roster. I think that means he's ready for play. Yay! Wonder how long before he's promoted then to AA ...
    I don't know if it's pure speculation, or if they have a source, but RotoWire says a week to 10 days to get warmed up for a AA promotion.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I don't know if it's pure speculation, or if they have a source, but RotoWire says a week to 10 days to get warmed up for a AA promotion.
    Sounds about right. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Since you went a little off topic, may I veer away as well with a tasty little SSS discovery I made this morning:

BB% 16.3%/K% 10.2%/AVG .400/OPS .510/SLG .775/OPS 1.285/ISO .375/wOBA .557
    This is Kennys Vargas's plate numbers over the last 2 weeks. The Beast awakens....no one's taking much note,,,,,and he's doing this with virtually no support in front of, or behind him, in the New Britain batting order.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 269 Times in 131 Posts
    Thanks for the gameday thoughts. Good stuff, as usual. I see you survived the wedding.

Re so many wanting to leave Illinois, guess I'm guilty. I was born in Moline. Left three months later. Guess I couldn't stand it.

18. These 2 users like Circus Boy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (05-04-2014), USAFChief (05-04-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    since minor leaguers are being discussed ... parm has a 3 run homer and a 2 run homer in his first two ab's this afternoon. It seems pretty clear he can rake at AAA, what can the Twins do with him?

20. This user likes Pitz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (05-04-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    And Maryland was #3 in the get me outta here category with 47%... Followed by: Nevada 43%...No point really... I just feel sorry for ChiTown and Ashbury.
    I'm two miles from the Californy border, or one mile if I want to hike straight up a hill 1000 feet in the air. I get out all the time.

22. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (05-04-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitz View Post
    since minor leaguers are being discussed ... parm has a 3 run homer and a 2 run homer in his first two ab's this afternoon. It seems pretty clear he can rake at AAA, what can the Twins do with him?
    He seems to be down to one more shot... should Arcia continue his struggles, it seems logical that Anthony keep his promise when he was demoted and give Parmelee a chance in RF.

And in further good news, Nunez is 2 for 2 in his return today thus far, finally coming back from his oblique strain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I wo-wo-wo-wo-wonder, who will play, the game made up by Abner Doubleday?
    You're going to have to help me out on this one, Chief.

Blog Entries
    Nice job by Florimon keeping the bad throw to second from sailing into CF rather than try to stay on the bag too long in vain hope of the DP.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1st inning:

Hughes: 0 FB, 1 LD, 3 GB, 6 fouls, 0 whiffs
    Gonzalez: 1 FB, 1 LD, 0 GB, 3 fouls, 1 whiff

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    You're going to have to help me out on this one, Chief.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkZV-XDqGo

28. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-04-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Ah dub-dub dub-dub Doubleday. Gotcha.

30. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-04-2014)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast