Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Danny Santana

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Sounds like Nunez is DH for Redwings today. Hopefully he can stick around now.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    First, very glad to see Escobar finally get his chance. About time! Count me as one of those riding on the Florimon bandwagon. Love watching him play, teased by what he can/could do even if he hits just a little. I truly felt the Twins had a short term answer at SS for the next season or two, even if he only hit as well as last year, and presumably with experience, at least marginally better. But when you make NL pitchers look like dangerous hitters, you are virtually in panic mode.

Second, for whatever reason, I tend to miss games Escobar starts on the TV/net, usually only catching them on the radio. But his reputation coming up, and when traded for by the Twins, including comments from Gardy, was that he was a quality glove man with some speed, and SS was his best position. Even with some regression defensively, the team as a whole simply has to be improved with him there and a 9 hitter who is at least a mild threat.

Third, time to send Florimon down. (I am certain I've read where he has a option or two left) He has value at Rochester, insurance for the ball club, and who knows, maybe he gets his bat figured out to the point he could hit at least as well as last year. But he is a SS by trade, so what good is a backup SS who can't play other positions and only hits .100 going to do for our bench?

Fourth, I'm intrigued by Nunez. Very unfortnate he gets injured right after acquiring him. I'm by no means saying we got a steal here, but he was well regarded coming up through the minors, was targeted as Jeter's replacement, and seems to be a decent all around hitter with some pop and speed, at least for a middle inf/utility type. I have a hard time believing his glove is a iron-clad as some have stated, but no intimate knowledge here. Just find it difficult how he cold be regarded fairly higher, and as a Jeter heir, and yet be unable to play defense. Is this a case of undue pressure from expectation and future role, combined with intermittent playing time?

However, with Nunez out for the time being, it's time to bring up Bernier. Don't misunderstand me, Bernier is what he is despite a surprisingly strong start to his season offensively, and that is a replacement level player at utility. But you also don't hang around the game this long if you are inept. And he did show solid defense in his time with the Twins last season. The fact that he can apparently play other positions without flat-out stinking up the joint offers of some slight value. And once again, we're talking about replacing a one position playe who hits .100.

Lastly, I hope Santana doesn't just sit on the bench the entire time he's up. Even the opportunity to flail or fail can offer up lessons learned for him to take back to Rochester. I believe the reason he is up is because he has at least a bit of brief experience in the OF with Hicks on the 7 day, and being on the. 40 man means no immediate action has to take place.

To anyone annoyed that he isn't being brought up to start immediately in this tenure, I would remind you Esobar has pretty much just been handed the position. As such, I don't think you toss a rookie out there who isn't quite ready, and probably wouldn't have been called up until mid-season-ish just for the sake of putting him out there. You have a new SS that is playing decently, and I believe you stick with that decision for now.
    Has anyone credible ever said that Nunez was the heir apparent to Jeter?
    Because looking through his minor league numbers, I don't see anything to have ever been excited about.
    He was never once ranked on any top 100 lists, and though he flashed a couple of decent offensive seasons, he overall put up numbers in the mid .600 OPS range.

His defense has always been bad, even in the minors, so I don't see why it is hard to believe that it would still be bad in the majors.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
    "Is Arcia healthy or not?
    If he's not, he shouldn't be playing in minor league games. If he is, why is he not ready? The guy missed 3 weeks, not 3 months.
    Manny Machado missed 9 months and came back after 4 rehab games, I don't see why 4 or 5 games isnt enough when you have only missed 3 or 4 weeks."

Probably shouldn't post this til he is outta town but Methinks maybe he should have gotten some more at bats re-habbing....can only imagine what would be coming across these boards if Arcia comes up and struggles early to this extent.........

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post
    If he's not, he shouldn't be playing in minor league games. If he is, why is he not ready? The guy missed 3 weeks, not 3 months.
    Manny Machado missed 9 months and came back after 4 rehab games, I don't see why 4 or 5 games isnt enough when you have only missed 3 or 4 weeks."

Probably shouldn't post this til he is outta town but Methinks maybe he should have gotten some more at bats re-habbing....can only imagine what would be coming across these boards if Arcia comes up and struggles early to this extent.........
    Well so far, he's yet to strike out, was robbed of at least a double by Fuld at the wall, hit a laser line drive off the top of the LF wall, has made a number of masterful defensive plays, and is rocking an .077 babip.

I would hope that the board would be thrilled if Arcia came up and had such a great, albeit unlucky, start.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WLFINN View Post

Wrist injuries are tricky and can really sap a player's ability to drive the ball. I'm far from defending the Twin's group of Nick Rivieras but this strategy shouldn't be criticized IMO.

6. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (05-04-2014), WLFINN (05-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 164 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I have a hard time seeing how the week or 10 days he might spend being a utility bench player will either hurt his development or the Twins. He is here until either Hicks, Arcia or Willingham return.
    I was wrong. Hicks returned and Santana is still here entering his third week.

Should they and him down though he is playing well? His situation is somewhat similar to Pinto. They both would benefit from playing more. They both help this team more from the bench than the options at AAA.

I think he will slump as everyone does and return to AAA. Meanwhile a versatile player to come off the bench and pinch hit or pinch run for a pitcher as part of a double switch will be valuable as they play in NL parks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I disagree with this 'they would benefit with more AAA time' thought. They each have 3-4 full seasons of minor league ball and there are things to learn at the MLB level even if they don't play every day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123