Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Santana

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Danny Santana

Danny Santana is going to be called up for tomorrows game. The numbers were not to impressive for him so far but won't take much to beat Pedro Florimon. He is hitting just .268/.311/.381 with seven RBI in his first 24 games at Triple-A

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Danny Santana, your MN Twins backup CF.

Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
    I am very excited by this. Although there is a good argument to be made that SS needed to be addressed in the offseason, the fact that they are moving on after a month of really, really poor production from the incumbent SS is a good thing.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They aren't moving on from Escobar/Florimon with this promotion. They need another position player, and Santana is already on the 40-man roster. I don't imagine he'll be with the squad for more than a couple days, unil Arcia of Hammer are ready to return.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    They aren't moving on from Escobar/Florimon with this promotion. They need another position player, and Santana is already on the 40-man roster. I don't imagine he'll be with the squad for more than a couple days, unil Arcia of Hammer are ready to return.
    Sadly true. Over/under on Florimon starts in the next 10 days is 5.5

6. This user likes howeda7's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Paul Pleiss (05-02-2014)

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ugh! He's coming up to ride the bench and be an outfielder. What a waste.

According to Bernardino

"Rookie shortstop Danny Santana was set to be recalled from Triple-A Rochester, but it’s not to replace Pedro Florimon.

That distinction, for now, has gone to Eduardo Escobar, who started for the fourth time in five games on Friday night against Baltimore.

Santana has played some second base and outfield in the past. Twins player-development staff believes he could handle the outfield if needed there, Antony said, adding, Santana may take some fly balls once he reports to the Twins."

Escobar is back up cf not Santana. Escobar played it for twins and chicago.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    During tonight's game, Dick quoted Willingham as saying he is still unable to even swing a bat, his wrist so sore- it sounds like it's going to be more than just a couple days, probably more like weeks before he is able to return. And on Hicks, it didn't sound like the Twins were very enthusiastic about his return being imminent. Perhaps they should look to the waiver wire? Florimon should not be here, he should be working on fixing whatever he can fix in the minors. Perhaps Moises Sierra, or something else that will pop up on the wire more to their liking?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimeTwinkie View Post
    Escobar is back up cf not Santana. Escobar played it for twins and chicago.
    That's a tall order to ask of someone, starting at SS, chief back-up in CF and 3rd, 4th C.

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    When Arcia is ready to come off DL, I think it would make much more sense to send Florimon down. Santana plays multiple positions and Florimon ONLY shortstop. If he is not starting, he's a waste of a roster spot.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    When Arcia is ready to come off DL, I think it would make much more sense to send Florimon down. Santana plays multiple positions and Florimon ONLY shortstop. If he is not starting, he's a waste of a roster spot.
    A couple of ways to look at this last sentence. When he's not starting, he's actually helping the team, offensively. And when he is starting, he's also a waste of a roster spot. I'm still trying to get my head around the thinking in early ST by Gardy declaring him- "My starting SS" in the face of all the evidence that physically and health-wise, he never came close to rounding into playing readiness at the plate. And then stubbornly sticking with him when it became painfully obvious throughout April that they were putting him through the same psychological torture they put Hicks through to open 2013. Baffling indeed. Ready or not, Santana should have shared reps with Escobar to start out the season and given P-Flo a chance to right himself in the minors.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-03-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I don't get why Santana isn't going to start. Isn't the idea of rebuilding team to rebuild?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't get why Santana isn't going to start. Isn't the idea of rebuilding team to rebuild?
    And here I thought you wanted to win now. That's what they are trying to do. When we're 15 games out later in the summer is the time to see what some of these minor leaguers can do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 142 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    And here I thought you wanted to win now. That's what they are trying to do. When we're 15 games out later in the summer is the time to see what some of these minor leaguers can do.

If they were trying to win now Meyer would be up, as would Arcia.

16. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-03-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I wanted to win now in the off season. This roster is not constructed for that, imo. So I want the future up, and getting their feet wet, this year. That, to me, would make next year better. IF a rookie is up, I want him playing.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    If they were trying to win now Meyer would be up, as would Arcia.
    Arcia would be up if not for the injury. He'll be back. Meyer on the other hand just wasn't ready when camp broke. I saw him pitch a lot this spring and he wasn't ready, he needed to refine some of those pitches. He'll be up in the next month or two, and be much better off for it than breaking camp with us.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 163 Posts
    "And then stubbornly sticking with him......"

And this somehow surprises people after all these years?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Arcia would be up if not for the injury. He'll be back. Meyer on the other hand just wasn't ready when camp broke. I saw him pitch a lot this spring and he wasn't ready, he needed to refine some of those pitches. He'll be up in the next month or two, and be much better off for it than breaking camp with us.
    Is Arcia healthy or not?
    If he's not, he shouldn't be playing in minor league games. If he is, why is he not ready? The guy missed 3 weeks, not 3 months.
    Manny Machado missed 9 months and came back after 4 rehab games, I don't see why 4 or 5 games isnt enough when you have only missed 3 or 4 weeks.

As for Meyer, I didn't mean at the break of camp, I mean now.
    He would be one of our best 5 pitchers, and he can continue to refine his changeup on the MLB roster, we do have Bobby Cuelluar on staff, so we not?
    Shocking, that he will just so happen to be "ready", conveniently, when the Super 2 date passes.

21. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (05-03-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Is Arcia healthy or not?
    If he's not, he shouldn't be playing in minor league games. If he is, why is he not ready? The guy missed 3 weeks, not 3 months.
    Manny Machado missed 9 months and came back after 4 rehab games, I don't see why 4 or 5 games isnt enough when you have only missed 3 or 4 weeks.

As for Meyer, I didn't mean at the break of camp, I mean now.
    He would be one of our best 5 pitchers, and he can continue to refine his changeup on the MLB roster, we do have Bobby Cuelluar on staff, so we not?
    Shocking, that he will just so happen to be "ready", conveniently, when the Super 2 date passes.
    Arcia had a pretty bad spring training. And his alarming K rate from last year has actually gotten worse, even in AAA. The dead giveaway that something isn't right was the revelation that the current wrist injury is identical to the one that shut him down last August. Wrists are touchy things- getting back to 100% health should be the priority here, not getting back to the show ASAP.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Arcia had a pretty bad spring training. And his alarming K rate from last year has actually gotten worse, even in AAA. The dead giveaway that something isn't right was the revelation that the current wrist injury is identical to the one that shut him down last August. Wrists are touchy things- getting back to 100% health should be the priority here, not getting back to the show ASAP.
    Okay, I'm fine with getting him healthy, but if he's not healthy he shouldn't be playing in minor league games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast