Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Giving credit to LEN3 for calling Twins to account on CF situation

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fuld clearly is a nice, solid 4th OF. Though hopefully, in a year or so, the kind of guy we don't need to pick up as there is still a potential log-jam of OF's.

I hate to repeat myself, but will to your question DFGG. In a down FA year for position players, and a roster that was begining to show an influx of young talent, with more on the horizon, the one thing that just demanded to be addressed was another CF/OF.

Didnt and still don't know for sure what we have with Hicks, or when the light might begin to come on. Also, now, what if his concussion isn't minor? Haven't we seen this enough and had been unlucky enough thus far before to be concerned? Pressley was OK, a decent fill-in option. Hoped he and Hicks would make a nice duo for now. Fuld basically takes his spot. And Mastro has just not been the same player since his injury.

So you entered 2014 with a very talented youngster who hasn't figured it out yet, a journeyman fill-in, and another role player that you had no clue if recovery/injury was going to ever allow him to resemble the player he had glimpsed himself to be before.

What's changed other than swapping Fuld for Pressley? Nothing. Other than botching a transaction and losing Mastro. In of itself that may not matter. I'm not in favor of trading top talent for any "rental player". But I strongly advocate some sort of move.

Anyone have a roster crunch with a decent OF being squeezed out? Any rentals you have in mind Greed? Not sure I can pull one off the top of my head. Said player may have a role as 4th OF next year, or AAA insurance. With luck, Buxton, Hicks and Fuld leave us flush next year. But for now.......

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Fuld clearly is a nice, solid 4th OF. Though hopefully, in a year or so, the kind of guy we don't need to pick up as there is still a potential log-jam of OF's.

I hate to repeat myself, but will to your question DFGG. In a down FA year for position players, and a roster that was begining to show an influx of young talent, with more on the horizon, the one thing that just demanded to be addressed was another CF/OF.

Didnt and still don't know for sure what we have with Hicks, or when the light might begin to come on. Also, now, what if his concussion isn't minor? Haven't we seen this enough and had been unlucky enough thus far before to be concerned? Pressley was OK, a decent fill-in option. Hoped he and Hicks would make a nice duo for now. Fuld basically takes his spot. And Mastro has just not been the same player since his injury.

So you entered 2014 with a very talented youngster who hasn't figured it out yet, a journeyman fill-in, and another role player that you had no clue if recovery/injury was going to ever allow him to resemble the player he had glimpsed himself to be before.

What's changed other than swapping Fuld for Pressley? Nothing. Other than botching a transaction and losing Mastro. In of itself that may not matter. I'm not in favor of trading top talent for any "rental player". But I strongly advocate some sort of move.

Anyone have a roster crunch with a decent OF being squeezed out? Any rentals you have in mind Greed? Not sure I can pull one off the top of my head
    . Said player may have a role as 4th OF next year, or AAA insurance. With luck, Buxton, Hicks and Fuld leave us flush next year. But for now.......
    Daniel Carbonell from Cuba was just granted free agency. The Twins should be all over him at this point. If not, wait for Baltimore to cut an OF if they sign Morales, Boston looks like they are going to make an OF move. Or they could sign Juan Pierre or claim Moises Sierra.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Moises Sierra was claimed by the White Sox.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    The Rockies have an excess of MLB ready CF'ers.
    Drew Stubbs? Not sure if he does anything more for me than Fuld does, but he probably wouldn't cost a whole lot.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Moises Sierra was claimed by the White Sox.
    Scratch that one, then....losing both Eaton and Garcia, the Sox are in worse shape than the Twins in the OF at this point.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Santana right now should not even be considered for outfield play, he's a kid trained as an infielder, don't mess with him in this way, please.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    How about Bourjos? They have Jay playing CF, Holliday and Craig in the corners and Tavares up soon. They have him banished to the bench right now so he might come reasonably and would fit multiple needs on this team.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    How about Bourjos? They have Jay playing CF, Holliday and Craig in the corners and Tavares up soon. They have him banished to the bench right now so he might come reasonably and would fit multiple needs on this team.
    Excellent option....very serviceable and a legit Cfer. And with the Cards bats in the toilet, I'm shocked Taveras isn't already called up. Does Bourjos have an option left that might preclude a trade on the part of the Cards, though (just a guess on my part)?

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Excellent option....very serviceable and a legit Cfer. And with the Cards bats in the toilet, I'm shocked Taveras isn't already called up. Does Bourjos have an option left that might preclude a trade on the part of the Cards, though (just a guess on my part)?
    He's still arb. eligible, no long term deal. Taveras is likely not up due to protecting Super 2 status.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

The Twins management can win. By winning. I'm not sure why it's unreasonable for Twins fans to want their team to win and win the World Series at that. Are we simply supposed to be satisfied that they put a team on the field?
    If the standard is winning the World Series every year there are going to be LOTS of disapointed basefall fans out there since only one team is going to win every year.

I'd just like to see a competitive team, a team that has a chance at winning every series, a team that plays .500 ball. That will get you into the playoffs most years, ride a hot streak and a couple of good pitchers and who knows what might happen??

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Just to change the mood for a second, I think the 3rd base situation was worse than centerfield. Plouffe, or Luckiest Man in the World as I call him still IMO is not a major league 3rd baseman. As this season continues on, some will come to my side, you watch. And we've got no one that's has a chance at being a major league 3rd baseman that can step in.
    Plouffe is currently second in baseball in OPS among third basemen. I doubt that's all luck. His new oppo approach lends itself to better results, including his league leading 15 doubles. But let's not delve into scouting. Let's stick with your claim about luck. Luck is a funny thing. It could be that he was extremely unlucky the last two years. Unless you logged his at bats to see how many hard-hit balls found gloves, you wouldn't know. Thing is, Fangraphs does that for us.

We measure luck for hitters by comparing LD%, FB%, GB% and BABIP. Last year, Plouffe had a high LD% of 24.7%; his GB% was 38.6; his FB% was 36.7. Yet his BABIP was average at .301. This suggests that he was unlucky, if anything. In 2012, his LD% was lower at 18.5%, his GB% was normal at 37.9%; his FB% was higher at 43.6% (reflecting his power surge), but his BABIP was a lowly .244. In 2012, his best year, he was extremely unlucky.

This year, his luck seems to have normalized (27/37/34/.373), which was only a matter of time, if you believe in regression analysis. He is due for a regression from that lofty peak to about a BABIP of .333 or so, given his high LD%. But small samples make bad projections. Even after he regresses as predicted, off the top of my head, he's still a 4 WAR player projecting that regressed production out for the year.
    Last edited by cmathewson; 05-05-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Folly might be strong, but Hicks made that play difficult. Was it a tough catch? Sure. Was it "I'm going to try and be spiderman and throw myself at the wall" tough?

God no. And it only looked that tough because, once again, Hicks is unable to read the flight path of fly balls without staring at it the whole way. Good outfielders don't do that, you often see them take their eye off and run to a spot (I seem to recall Hunter talking about doing exactly that back in the day) and then pick it up when they get closer to where it's going to land.

I'm sorry the kid got hurt, but he got hurt because he's not all that good out there and he keeps showing that over and over again.
    So yeah, again another example today of this. He turns his back (and there was a stiff breeze, no doubt) and he's completely turned around on a ball again.

The kid needs to be in AAA. He's doing some things well and should be encouraged by that, but his game isn't getting refined in the big leagues right now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    So yeah, again another example today of this. He turns his back (and there was a stiff breeze, no doubt) and he's completely turned around on a ball again.

The kid needs to be in AAA. He's doing some things well and should be encouraged by that, but his game isn't getting refined in the big leagues right now.
    Yup. The broadcast crew tried their best to excuse the busted play on the wind, but it was much more than an issue of the stiff breeze, it was pretty clear that Hicks just doesn't have the instincts right now that a CF needs, particularly on balls hit deep.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 166 Times in 87 Posts
    The radio call said he did a good job to get back on the ball, but Dan Gladden specifically said that "you have to know how the wind plays at Target Field" which both acknowledged the difficulty of the play but didn't excuse Hicks from misjudging it.

He notes that Hicks got back to the point where the ball would have gone without the breeze, but by the time Hicks looked up again, the ball was three plus feet over from that spot.

Outfield play has come up a lot this year (rightfully so) and it's something that these players all have to learn on the fly. Hicks has now had about one full season worth of innings at Target Field, so plays like this one are ones he should be more able to judge than a visiting player (or any Twins infielder that might be serving time in the outfield that day).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Re: Hicks has "to know how the wind plays at Target Field." This is another reason that, in my opinion, Hicks needs to stay up and play through the struggles. Give him until May 1 of next year to get his act together, both on offense and defense. That'll give him just over 1 year's worth of PAs and appearances in CF. If he can't show progress in that time, well...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011