Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dump List

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    1) Dumping Hicks is a bad idea at this point, but he should be in Rochester. (Remember when the Twins talked about "no free rides?" or whatever Hicks is getting one). Problem is, there's not many other options in the majors right now for a CF especially since the organization is hurting for depth.

3) Colabello: I think a guy needs a chance to slump and come out of it. He's shown some power and the Twins need it desperately.
    --
    I'd replace those on the list with Kubel. Dating back to August of 2012, he's been pretty terrible and certainly not good enough for a weak defending corner OF. Though, this might not be possible until Arcia, and maybe Willingham return.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Correia has 3 quality starts out of 7 - that's bad.
    He's averaging a little under 6 innings per start, and has been yo-yoing between decent and dreadful each time out.

The Good news? He was terrible last time out, he should be on schedule for a good start next time!

Burton has had a decent string of appearances as well, at least compared to how he started the season.

If the Twins do go to 12 pitchers, however, I think it should be Burton or Guerrier that gets sent down (or DFA'd / released) before anyone else.

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Revised Dump List: 1) Aaron Hicks 2) Matt Guerrier 3) Chris Colabello 4) Kevin Correia 5) Jared Burton. Discuss if interested.
    1) agreed Hicks should be in AAA to make room for FA Derrick Robinson http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...84&position=OF
    I'm aware he's nothing special, but he's out there and would provide cheap temporary depth while the rest of the outfield gets their poop in a group. It would be very painless to DFA him when one of the other slightly more valuable outfielders is ready to come back. If he sucks, well he's no worse than Hicks and you aren't damaging his career.
    2) Agreed, he should be DFA'd to make room for Arcia
    3) Agreed, he looks lost and has options to make room for Willingham' as well as currently being outperformed by Parmelee.
    4) Not yet, he's pitched better lately and might be of trade value. However, Meyer is going to need a roster spot soon.
    5) Agreed, Burton is very replaceable, several younger arms available who could use some MLB time.

We should look at who will definitely be around come 2015 and why.

Catcher: Josmil Pinto. Suzuji will play out hius contrat. The Twins have an option of going after a vet in 2015. Herrmann and Fyer and expendable. Rohlfind can play the same future role as Herrmann.

Designated Hitter: Kenny Vargas will be the body on the horizon and should get a shot sometime this season. Colabello is a good story but it will boil down to him and Parmelee (both of whom could be deep-sixed come 2015) in the position because they can also backup first and play the outfield. Unless Kubel really shines, he is tradebait or cut loose. And if he shines, should definitely be trade bait since he is playing the outfield. Willingham has used up his lives.

Mauer is at first. Dozier is at second. We are still anotehr season away from Rosario and Sano. Santana could be the shortstop. Escobar is a backup. Beresford is also a backup candidate. Nunez, Florimon are out of the pitcher. Could Plouffe become another Michael Cuddyer...play right field and abckup at first. Only if he can get that average up consistently. His alck of consistency dooms him. The Twins need to address the infield.

Outfield. In shambles. Arcia will spend a good part of the year in the minors. Kepler ios a long way away. Hicks just can't cut it. Burton needs to play. If he had started the season healthy, he might've been plugged in for a week already! It's patchwork unless the Twins promote Burton and Arcia to go with Hicks next season. Backups are backups and a dime a dozen (bring back Erik Komatsu...no).

Unless if Pelfrey finds the golen ticket, he is the next Nick Blackburn and Joe Mays. Correia needs a couple of good starts and then move him. The Twins have Darnell, Meyer, May, Dean...even Yohan Pino, in the wings. I'm not worried about the rotation, although if the Twins are going to ever spend lots of money on three middle-of-the-road players, I would rather see them go all out for a Grienke next time.

Perkins i shte closer. The bullpen is strong. If Swarzak and Burton get halfway decent numbers, trade them. Same with Duensing. We forget about the minor league riches. Oliveros is down there. Thompson is on par with Guerrier. You have Achter, Guerra. Bullpen arms aren't a problem.

The concern is the offense. You can patch in temporary guys who are playing for their next salary (Fuld, Kubel) and vets looking towards free agency (Willingham). But how do you truly explain Plouffe. DO you put stock in Parmelee. Are the 30-year-old rookies Colabello and Deduno really worth the effort. Is Diamond better than Pelfrey. Should the Twins bring back Scott Baker and find out where Matt Capps is hiding (in Cleveland's system). Will A.J. come back to Minnesota. I'll check back in 2018 when the Twins bring, as spring training invitees, Mike Cuddyer, Justin Morneau, Danny Valencia and R.A. Dickey as non-roster invitees..........
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    New candidates to be dumped (or dispatched to Rochester). Chris Colabello--His average and OPS have fallen off a cliff. He's been asked to play RF and he's not an outfielder. Parmelee is a capable backup for Mauer at first and is a better OF, for sure. Plus he's hit a couple homers.

Mike Tonkin--We see the good stuff, but the results haven't been there his last few times out. He may benefit from a trip to Rochester and when he returns, perhaps a role for him will be available (via trade, injury, or ineffectiveness). Caleb Thielbar--Much like Tonkin, the results haven't been there. He doesn't have Tonkin's stuff, but he is left handed. Danny Santana--For now Escobar is the shortstop and Hicks is the CF. He's not playing, so he should probably be sent down. Finally, perennial Dump List nominee Kevin Correia is about one start away from demotion to the bullpen or developing a groin injury. Unfortunately, Dump List favorite Mike Pelfrey is still under contract and had a successful start in his first rehab outing.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    New candidates to be dumped (or dispatched to Rochester). Chris Colabello--His average and OPS have fallen off a cliff. He's been asked to play RF and he's not an outfielder. Parmelee is a capable backup for Mauer at first and is a better OF, for sure. Plus he's hit a couple homers.

Mike Tonkin--We see the good stuff, but the results haven't been there his last few times out. He may benefit from a trip to Rochester and when he returns, perhaps a role for him will be available (via trade, injury, or ineffectiveness). Caleb Thielbar--Much like Tonkin, the results haven't been there. He doesn't have Tonkin's stuff, but he is left handed. Danny Santana--For now Escobar is the shortstop and Hicks is the CF. He's not playing, so he should probably be sent down. Finally, perennial Dump List nominee Kevin Correia is about one start away from demotion to the bullpen or developing a groin injury. Unfortunately, Dump List favorite Mike Pelfrey is still under contract and had a successful start in his first rehab outing.

I agree reed with these. When Arcia comes up, Cola goes down. And Tonkin is not ready. He has one decent pitch-- a 93mph straight fastball. He has to locate it, which has been his biggest challenge. His numbers are actually deceiving. He's allowed a startling number of inherited runners to score. When Pelfrey comes up, he goes down.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 806 Times in 508 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Colabello needs to be optioned (if he has them). Arcia should be able to replace him soon. Willingham can replace Tonkin. I like Tonkin, but based on the results, a trip to AAA with a few things to work on is in his best interest. I'd like to trade KC for Darnell right now to see what he can do in an extended look as well. I think the Twins are going to find themselves in a bit of a pitching glut for the first time in a while unless someone gets hurt.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Hicks has an OBP over .300, and like .375 over his last 10 games.

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    1. Colabello
    2. Kubes
    3. Tonkin
    4. Colabello (just to make sure)
    5. Perkins

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Hicks has an OBP over .300, and like .375 over his last 10 games.
    To go along with his sub-200 average and sub-300 slugging.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

11. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-19-2014)

I think you have to eventually get rid of Kubel, Colabello, and Hicks. . . you just cannot have guys striking out 35% of their at bats and think you can win with offense.

Eventually I think Plouffe could be a corner outfielder with Parmelee and or Arcia. Vargas has hit at every level ala Revere and will hit in the majors . . . he should be up soon and be the everyday DH

Mauer, Dozier, Santana, Sano, Plouffe, Buxton, Parmelee, Pinto and Vargas is the nucleus for the next three years with Rosario, Hicks, Nunez, Arcia figured in their somewhere.

Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, Mays, and one other will be the starting pitching nucleus. I look at Nolasco as a trade deadline candidate either this year or next year to make room for these pitchers. Correiea will be a trade deadline transfer this year.

Young kids get stuck in the minors partly because of the free agency timing period. The Twins under Ryan, as compared to McPhail, keep kids down way longer because of this. Viola, for instance, came up on a team much like this years and learned after only 156 innings in the minor leagues. . . Gibson had 425, May has 677, and Meyer already about 250. Time to get 'em up.

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    Am I the only person who's willing to be patient (i.e., give him until May 2015) with Hicks?

14. This user likes Beezer07's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

WLFINN (05-20-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    To go along with his sub-200 average and sub-300 slugging.
    Average is very overrated. The slugging is not so worrisome because he's a speed guy. No question he needs to be better, but i judge his ability to contribute at this level mostly by his OBP.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Average is very overrated. The slugging is not so worrisome because he's a speed guy. No question he needs to be better, but i judge his ability to contribute at this level mostly by his OBP.
    Average is overrated in terms of giving a totalizing view of a player's worth. Discretely, Average is still a good (the best?) measure of a player's actual ability to hit major league pitching, which Hicks hasn't shown. If he continues to demonstrate that he can't hit the ball, pitchers will start pitching him more and more in the zone, and he'll stop walking. (A pitcher will only risk walking a batter, if the pitcher believes the guy can hit.) Hicks will either starting getting more hits, which would lead to a wider zone of pitches, and thereby more walks, or Hicks will show he can't and his OBP driven worth will evaporate.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 05-18-2014 at 12:01 PM.

17. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (05-18-2014)

Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    There's some truth in this. In his last seven days, Colabello has a BABIP of .111. Over his last 14 days, it's just .240.

I don't think we'll ever see early April's Chris Colabello again but there's still a good shot he turns into a serviceable DH and backup corner guy.
    Eric Pleiss' article explains exactly why his BABIP dropped like a rock very well. Pitchers have figured him out. Maybe he figures it out, but Eric's article posit's it's bat speed. I agree and bat speed is tough to improve

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    The guy that seems most replaceable to me is Matt Guerrier.

I also think Logan Darnell would be an upgrade on a guy I've defended for too long, Kevin Correia.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Average is overrated yes, but there's no explaining away a sub-200 average. There is a minimum level of putting the bat on the ball required, and he's far short of exceeding it. And the slugging is very worrisome, because major league players cannot continue to post levels that meager.

A .600 OPS isn't even acceptable for the majority of bench players, let alone a starter.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

21. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (05-19-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Hicks is on a 5 game hitting streak and has reached base in 7 straight games. I wouldn't say he's turned a corner, but at the very least it's a welcome sight to see and it may boost his confidence a bit. The thing that I've heard people say the most is that he struggles when he is tentative with his swing. A few bloopers falling in for him like they have this week will hopefully give him a little swagger going forward.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    Am I the only person who's willing to be patient (i.e., give him until May 2015) with Hicks?
    You're not the only person wanting the Twins to start him almost every day, level aside. Whether that constitutes patience or prudence for a rebuilding franchise, well, wrong thread.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doing something as simple as cutting out a paper snow flake has caused the mass manufacture of left-handed scissors.

Hicks has been attempting to execute arguably the most coordination-intensive athletic activity on earth using his less-coordinated configuration. Yes, many naturally right-handed hitters had successful careers switch hitting, but that number drops when you eliminate non-1b infielders, who have a vested interest in throwing righty and played positions that forgive a lack of hitting.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 05-20-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast