Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Tigers@Twins 4/27 1:10PM

Liked 2,294 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Blog Entries

Game Thread: Tigers@Twins 4/27 1:10PM

ChiTown with the Lineups shall be posted shortly... If you can't wait for them... You probably scream at the Microwave for taking too long.
    -----------------
    Well, Bri, I will be waiting for those lineups for a very long time as the game has been postponed. No make up date yet determined.

Reason for postponement?

Well ... game-time forecast reads like this:

Rain, and more rain, cold and blustery, not stopping anytime soon. No dome, no roof, just rain.

But in lieu of a game, you still have Brian's musings; feel free to comment on them, watch a different game and comment on that, or just shrug and wait until the next game on Tuesday.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Justin Verlander -- Baseball careers ebb and flow as the years go by. I don't know why... but his performance last season wasn't as dominant as past seasons. His numbers were still very good in comparison to what the Twins throw but there was a time when facing Verlander put me in the fetal position. That doesn't seem to be the case... in my head at least. We beat a younger version of Verlander when we beat Ventura from Kansas City. I say bring him on. Of course that's easy for me to say... I don't have a bat in my hand.

2. Bullpens -- The Tigers bullpen is a little stretched right now after the Sanchez blister... Verlander has been a horse... I don't think Verlander is going to come out of the game easily.

3. Kyle Gibson -- Yeah... I'm thinking about pitching today. I know the Twins have been scoring a lot of runs but Gibson will have to sharp today if the Twins want to win this series.

4. 1st Place -- A tie for first place is on the line. It doesn't mean much in April but I'd like to look at the standings tomorrow morning and see us on top regardless.

5. Rope -- My wife has never been much of an animal fan... I've always liked having a pet... I'm more of a dog guy but cats are awesome in their own way. I'd be OK with a pet Walleye. I knew my wife wasn't into them when I married her and she knew I had a cat when we got married. We got married anyway and it's worked out just fine... A little give and take is important. We lost that original cat maybe a couple years after we were married but any talk of getting a new cat was quickly curbed because my wife was pregnant with our first child and she didn't want a baby crawling around in cat hair. My 2 sons were awesome pets to play with and honestly life was fine without a pet. I knew and she knew that any pet in the house would end up being her responsibility because she worries about what's going on in a litter box much more than I or the kids do or would.

That's why I was shocked 11 years ago...

We were sitting at the supper table... My oldest son was 10 years old and he just said... "Mom... Can we get a Cat"? I started laughing to myself... thinking "here it comes" and I turned my attention to my wife... waiting to hear what method she would use for saying "no freaking way"

She said "Well... Diane at work just found a litter of kittens in her boat and she is looking for good homes for them". I dropped my fork in complete surprise... I just sat there quietly thinking to myself "what's happening here... how is she going to walk this one back... this ain't really happening." She didn't walk it back... She said... "I suppose we could". I leaned over to my 6 year old son and whispered to him "Go give Mom a Hug" He got up from the table and gave her a big hug and the deal was sealed. My wife called and asked if we could come over to get a kitten. The answer was anytime and All I said was "Let's go right now" I'm no dummy... if we would have waited... She would have come out of it and changed her mind. I knew whatever window just opened... it was a very small window.

We got up from the table... We didn't even finish the meal... We drove about 7 miles to the co-workers house out in the country and all the boys in the car were smiling. My wife wasn't... it was starting to dawn on her... I could tell. I knew her... she wanted to turn around but both my boys were so excited... sitting in the backseat having a serious discussion about what they wanted to name the cat. I told them... "You'll want to wait... once you see the cat... the perfect name will just come to you... It'll be obvious... You don't want to name anything until you see it and get a feel for it".

We got there and were brought to a room with (I think) 5 kittens. All of them were calico and real small. Both boys were immediately drawn to the most active of the kittens at the time. The decision was made and we drove home with the boys and a new kitten in the backseat. That's when my 10 year old said... "Dad you were right... I've got the perfect name" He paused and said "Rope"

I started laughing... And I asked my 6 year old if he agreed and he did. Ok... "Rope" it is.

We got home... The kids ran into the house immediately with the kitten... My wife grabbed my arm to stop me before I reached the door. She said "What have I done... I made a mistake... We should take it back". I said... "Ok... But what are you gonna tell the kids". We walked into the house... I was convinced that she was going to tell the kids we are taking the cat back. But... The boys were busy walking from room to room... telling the cat... "This is your Kitchen... This is your living room" My wife looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders. She sighed and said "well... I suppose I should go to Petco and get some stuff. It was game over... We had a cat named Rope.

It took a few months but the boys soon realized that this cat was not going to be the play thing they were hoping for. Yeah... This cat was born wild. It was a spur of the moment cat that wasn't completely vetted. It was in a constant state of mean.

11 years later... I woke up this morning and out of habit... I reached below the sink for a can of cat food.

I'm actually kind of sad and wondering how it's first night with the horses in the barn went.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 04-27-2014 at 11:54 AM.

2. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (04-29-2014)

Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
    Hold those thoughts ........

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Escobar at 3rd today?

Mr. Rainout at 3rd ... and every other base.

6. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-27-2014), snepp (04-27-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    It's been raining pretty steadily here since last night. And there are thunderstorms forecast for tonight and tomorrow, or I suppose they may have tried to play Monday.

Btw, the lineup was posted before the cancellation, and Plouffe was in it as normal.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Sorry about Rope, Riverbrian. I'm a cat guy myself, and my wife hates them (but she knew the deal when we got married). I've had a pretty mean cat too before, but I think she was just impatient with her incompetent human servants.

I hope Rope is doing well out in the barn. Sounds like it might be a temperamental fit.

9. These 3 users like 70charger's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-27-2014), Riverbrian (04-27-2014), Willihammer (04-29-2014)

Dogs in the house.

Cats in the barn.

That's the way it was meant to be.

11. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (04-27-2014)

Liked 2,294 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Dogs in the house.

Cats in the barn.

And me... in the Doghouse of course.

13. These 3 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (04-27-2014), JB_Iowa (04-27-2014), snepp (04-27-2014)

Liked 3,164 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Day-twah's tenuous hold on sole possession of the ALC lead saved by the weather. That's OK, you want to catch them in late September anyway, by surprise.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

15. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-27-2014), Riverbrian (04-27-2014), snepp (04-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 269 Times in 131 Posts
    Sorry to hear about Rope. Some wild cats never make the change to domesticated life. It may like farm life more than you know. My wife and I have taken in more than a dozen cats over the years that wandered in our shop's back door that faces a cornfield in South Dakota. But the last one camped outside our picture window at home. We brought it food. It ate, then skeedaddled. We trapped it, found out it was preggers, and kept it and the one kitten who lived. Mama still avoids us, the kitten loves humans and our other current four strays.

As for the game, some days you win, some days you lose, and some days it rains.

17. These 2 users like Circus Boy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-27-2014), Riverbrian (04-27-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Liked 484 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Dogs in the house.

Cats in the barn.

For some reason, i wanted to say cats in the cradle and the silver spoon.
    But unless Paul Bunyan has silverware, that sounds like a really small cat...

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    And me... in the Doghouse of course.
    If the dog's in the house, doesn't that mean you're in the house too?

Oh well. Change is strange.

Alas, we don't get to see what we can do against Verlander. Hope Mr. Rainout soaks in, rather than runs off...

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very first thing heard when pulling up the Rock Cats broadcast page to take the place of Twins radio for background soundtrack while working on project... "Bases full of Squirrels".
    Last edited by LaBombo; 04-27-2014 at 03:08 PM.

20. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

sampleSizeOfOne (04-27-2014)

Is it likely that this game will get rescheduled to August or September when the Tigers come back? I doubt they'll reschedule to tomorrow with the dreary forecast.

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Score when I started listening to Rock Cats, 5-1 lead in the 8th. Final score, 7-5 Squirrels.

It's official, my X-men villain mutant superpower is the ability to make hometown teams blow big leads by tuning in late...

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by afurry91 View Post
    Is it likely that this game will get rescheduled to August or September when the Tigers come back? I doubt they'll reschedule to tomorrow with the dreary forecast.
    No makeup date has yet been set. I would guess they would aim for a time when the Tigers are back in town.

No make-up date set but LEN3 mentioned 8/23 as a possible make-up date -- 6:10 p.m. game on a Saturday so they could schedule a game for early afternoon.

Probably want to save open dates as much as possible.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Yeah ... looking at the schedule that seems a likely date ... or Sunday the 24th. But both Twins and Tigers have Aug. 25th free as well as Sept. 18 (the Thursday after a 3-game series with the Twins at TF)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They don't like to use up the open dates. Remember the players are required to have off days after a certain number of days.

I'm pulling for a weekend double header, so I can use the tickets. Day game during the week would be unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    They don't like to use up the open dates. Remember the players are required to have off days after a certain number of days.

I think that would be especially true with games within the division -- where there should be a number of opportunities for double-headers.

But this whole week is looking a little iffy .... may need one of those open dates to make up a game with the Dodgers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast