Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Looking Ahead to Find a Shortstop

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Chief's opinion: In the minds of Twins management (both front office and dugout) Dozier is not a SS, and won't be moved back under except possibly to finish out a game in extreme circumstances.
    This would be a reason to change management.

If Dozier can play SS, the Twins can't afford to close their minds to the possibility. Shortstops are much more costly to acquire than second basemen.

I would play Escobar through the all star break. If he isn't close to OK with the bat, give Dozier a shot following the break.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What we should do
    Sign Drew now
    What we should do with what we have
    Send down Florimon and bring up Bernier let Escobar start
    What we will likely do
    5 players will start at least 5 or more games at SS this year and 4 will start 10 from Florimon, Escobar, Bernier, Santana, and Nunez
    What team ownership wants us to do
    Keep spending money despite the lack effort or assets to improve SS.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not move Dozier... He's playing 2B as well as anyone right now. Lock him in... Rosario moves to another spot when he is ready.

SS... I wish I had the answer... I don't.

I'm against paying an extroaidanary amount of cash to acquire a good hitter by SS standards but an average hitter in comparison to all of baseball. I know we should draft best player available but I'm hoping its a College SS when our draft position comes around.

Until then... I'm hopeful that Florimon could start hitting .220 at least... and then I'll stop worrying about it.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really dislike the idea of bringing up a 30+ career minor leaguer because he's had a hot 50 at-bats in AAA. I, too, would like to see what Escobar could do if he started five games a week for a month. It is interesting that after the long layoff, "regulars" Hicks and Florimon are riding the pine.

Long term, I'm not fond of any of the Free Agent SS candidates. I would much rather find a young guy who's about ready to a major league regular. I don't know most of the names, but I definitely think the team should add a young shortstop.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Chief's opinion: In the minds of Twins management (both front office and dugout) Dozier is not a SS, and won't be moved back under except possibly to finish out a game in extreme circumstances.
    Because he is not...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    Because he is not...
    Wasnt it something about Dozier being terrible going to 1 side but not the other, I can't remember which but it was noted in a Strib article by Len3 & that was one of the big reasons for his issues at SS & excelling at 2B.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think a move back to short becomes a real option if he continues to hit. We can deal with subpar fielding if the guy is OPSing at .800 or even .750.

Not that Dozier is necessarily a subpar shortstop but it'll probably take some time to get him back up to speed at the position.

With that said, I don't want to see Dozier moved this year. He deserves the chance to get his feet under him and cement himself as a productive hitter before the team messes with his head at all.
    I think you do it when you have an alternative at second. Since I doubt that happens before sometime next year at the soonest, I don't have an issue with that.

But if Dozier can play shortstop....then you make that move when you have an alternative. I don't care if that's a step back for him defensively, it is plugging a gigantic hole on this team.

Didi's line in AAA (only sent down because of Owings)

.278/.355/.443 - Almost half of his hits are XBH. 2 HR's 1 SB. K/BB isn't great.

MLB Career .252/.329/.365 - Not perfect defense but even Florimon has some E's.

At 24 years old I think he would be a great addition.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins know the players far better than myself. Perhaps there is something about Dozier, despite playing SS his entire life, being drafted and developed as a SS by the Twins, that has them convinced that even now, past the inexperienced, rookie jitter phase, he simply can't play SS at the major league level. And if that is reality, I'm perfectly fine with that as he is/has turned in to an excellent 2B, and will probably continue to improve. But as Leviathan said, even if there is a slight regression with a move back to SS, I'm OK with that. Not saying move him today, that would be foolish. But next season or so, I'd have to consider it.

As to what we have now, I'm a little shocked that Santana, a young athlete with some offensive potential who has caught the coaches' eye, is being so quickly and easily dismissed by some so quickly. Can't we at least let him settle in and get some AAA time, at least, before we just dismiss him?

Polanco, if he be even a solid, consistent SS defensively, with his offense, would be tremendous. Early errors this season so far stink, but the season is still young. There are a lot of factors in development for any young player. Once settled and comfortable, we might see a big drop in errors, and far better fielding the balance of the season.

In the short term, I'm very glad to see Escobar finally getting a chance. At this point, I think you just have to pull the plug on Florimon as the every day option. Wish it hadn't played out this way, but it's reality. The team is on an upswing in talent and competitiveness. I don't feel a knee-jerk reaction today, or off season, to an aging player is the way to necessarily go. For now, I ride Escobar. Perhaps, by the second half, we have a youngster like Santana to take a shot.

10. These 2 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (04-30-2014), Tibs (05-01-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That many errors is a red flag. More troublesome to me is Polanco's arm. I don't know if he has enough arm to be an everyday shortstop. Polanco looks like he could be a plus offensive player, but I really think his position will be second base.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't see why you close one hole by opening another. How many second basemen have the Twins had since Knoblauch?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

13. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (04-30-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    I guess I think you start Rosario at 2B when he comes back, keep Santana and Polanco at SS in the minors this year and keep Dozier at 2B in the majors. Then depending on the scenario you have a few options. You consider moving Dozier back to SS over the offseason if you see Rosario as a legitimate major league ready 2B. You give Dozier the offseason to know about this move, prepare, and go into spring training with this plan. The other possibility is that Santana shows he deserves a shot at SS in the major and you go into this year with the plan of him taking over. The third plan is Polanco developing but understanding he is a year or two away and you will need some sort of backup plan. In this scenario you maybe go after one of the guys mentioned on a two year deal. If all of these things work out positively (Rosario, Santana, and Polanco looking capable) then well you have a nice embarassment of riches in middle infield prospects and you figure out what makes the most sense be it a trade, moving Dozier to SS or moving Rosario to a corner outfield spot to make room. Let's hope this is the problem and not a problem of still having no one for SS next year.

15. This user likes halfchest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (05-01-2014)

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Maybe they can trade for this guy recently signed into the Cardinal organization...(scroll to the right side to see the sweet slash line).....signed through 2018 at $2M/yr.........

Year Age AgeDif Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
    2007 16 Villa Clara CNS Fgn
    2008 17 Villa Clara CNS Fgn
    2009 18 Villa Clara CNS Fgn
    2010 19 Villa Clara CNS Fgn
    2011 20 Villa Clara CNS Fgn
    2014 23 -1.1 Springfield TL AA STL 20 80 75 8 23 5 1 3 16 4 2 1 19 .307
    .321 .520 .841 39 1 1 2 1 0
    Missed the boat on Aledmys Diaz huh?

Blog Entries
    1) keep Florimon on the bench and Escobar starting at SS for the foreseeable future, maybe rest of the season.
    2) Dozier is the second baseman, don't fix one hole by creating another.
    3) Let Rosario develop at 2B, trade him for the best player available, hopefully a SS prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After 4-4 tonight, it is time for Every Day Eddie

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    The Twins definitely have to give Escobar more playing time. Here we are panicking over the SS position and we might just have a guy on the team right now who can get the job done at the plate, while still being pretty good defensively.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    1) keep Florimon on the bench and Escobar starting at SS for the foreseeable future, maybe rest of the season.
    2) Dozier is the second baseman, don't fix one hole by creating another.
    3) Let Rosario develop at 2B, trade him for the best player available, hopefully a SS prospect.
    Not all holes are created equal. SS is a far more difficult position to fill and one the Twins have absolutely nothing in line to even be an option. With Rosario at least there is a chance.

21. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (04-30-2014), mike wants wins (05-01-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I still think Dozier deserves another crack at it. His defensive numbers weren't that bad at SS in 2012, and he looks a lot more comfortable in the bigs now. Probably not worth it until we get an interesting option to play 2B in his place -- maybe Rosario? Would have liked adding one of those Cubans.
    Agreed. I think the offensive potential of a Dozier/Rosario middle infield is great enough that you have to at least give it a try.
    BYTO R.I.P.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Not all holes are created equal. SS is a far more difficult position to fill and one the Twins have absolutely nothing in line to even be an option. With Rosario at least there is a chance.
    True, but history suggests Dozier hits and fields very we'll as a 2b and doesn't at SS. I know, I know, SSS, but I think that the combination of Dozier-Rosario will be worse, than the combination of Escobar-Dozier in terms of the sum of runs allowed and runs scored. I do think that a package can be made with Rosario that could net the Twins a true long term solution at SS and be able to keep a very strong Dozier at 2b.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Have the Twins previous to Dozier been able to fill the relatively easy to replace 2b? Gotta love that Brendan Harris - Nick Punto combination up the middle.
    Last edited by Sconnie; 05-01-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: There's a T in to

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast