Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal: Rosario has nothing to do but wait

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Frankly, this makes me 100% no longer worried about his future. Move him to LF, and get him up here this year. I will be bummed if he is playing 2B this year....Dozier is set, and Polanco can come up in 2 years.....
    I get that, but still think he's more valuable if he can stick at 2B. I think transitioning back to a corner outfield position would be pretty simple. At this point there doesn't appear to be an opening in our outfield as they are trying to get Kubel, Colabello, and Pinto(DH) in the lineup as much as possible and it sounds like Arcia and Willingham are on the way back.

I still could envision the Twins giving Dozier another shot at SS next year and they're obviously trying to give Polanco the chance to stick there next year as well. Not sure if Rosario's stick will play as well in the corners either. He's a potential all star at 2B but maybe league average or below in a corner. Now if he could play CF it's a whole different conversation.

2. This user likes halfchest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (05-01-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I assume you mean besides 'because it's illegal in 48 states in this country?'
    To me, that's irrelevant. Sports leagues are not law enforcement agencies. It should only matter whether the athlete is gaining a performance advantage from the use of a drug, at which point they are competing unfairly within the bounds of their own profession.

Anything that doesn't fall under that jurisdiction, have at it. Do whatever you want, it's not my career to ruin.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    His stick is useless at 2B if Dozier and Polanco are playing there. And, he's better than Willingham or Collabello, and Kubel is gone in a year or two. Who is your LF, if not Rosario? I guess if you are willing to trade Dozier for a legit player or three, you keep Rosario at 2B. But at some point, it sure would be great to play for the present, and not keep trading your good players for the future....
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    His stick is useless at 2B if Dozier and Polanco are playing there. And, he's better than Willingham or Collabello, and Kubel is gone in a year or two. Who is your LF, if not Rosario? I guess if you are willing to trade Dozier for a legit player or three, you keep Rosario at 2B. But at some point, it sure would be great to play for the present, and not keep trading your good players for the future....
    I agree but I think it's a decision that doesn't need to be made right now. Rosario has 300 pretty unimpressive PAs in AA. He's coming off a suspension that's going to eat nearly half of his 2014 season. He would have to play out of his mind for the rest of 2014 to even be a consideration for the 2015 Opening Day lineup.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How dumb. A 19-year-old smoked a joint. Big deal. MLB has no business, and certainly no right, to suspend a player for that level of infraction. Time to get a lawyer. Really, what harm did Rosario bring to himself, to others, or the sport of baseball? Marijuana has been proven to be less harmful than drinking alcohol!

The Anti-Trust exemption is a big deal for MLB, and arbitrary rules like this that violate a person's right to work and make a living are eventually going to be weeded out (sic). By force of law if need be.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    MLB is hardly the only employer to test for THC. Its their prerogative. And it makes perfect sense from a productivity angle IMO.
    No one tests for alcohol, and pot is much less harmful a substance. You already give a massive amount of time and energy to your employer, they have no right to tell you what you can or cannot ingest on your free time.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zchrz View Post
    No one tests for alcohol, and pot is much less harmful a substance. You already give a massive amount of time and energy to your employer, they have no right to tell you what you can or cannot ingest on your free time.
    Yep. If I get asked to come on as a full-time employee at my current job, I'll have to take a drug test.

I'm considering rejecting the offer if it comes for that reason alone. I'll pass the test without issue but that's not the point.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I agree but I think it's a decision that doesn't need to be made right now. Rosario has 300 pretty unimpressive PAs in AA. He's coming off a suspension that's going to eat nearly half of his 2014 season. He would have to play out of his mind for the rest of 2014 to even be a consideration for the 2015 Opening Day lineup.
    Agreed. I just don't see a rush to transition him to LF as that would be an easier switch a year from now if they decide he's blocked at 2B. Polanco's a year behind and currently playing SS. Dozier well that's another argument but if they don't find a different solution prior to opening day I could see Dozier getting another shot at SS in 2015. Even if let's say Dozier sticks as our long term 2B and Rosario can handle 2B. How great would it be to have a corner outfielder that can back up 2B adequately. Gives added flexibility. If he's blocked and we can get a guy like Alex Meyer for Dozier or Rosario then heck yah. You're not going to get a guy like Meyer for a corner outfielder with a league average bat. My biggest argument against moving him from 2B is that it's way easier to find corner outfielders than 2B. Sure now if next year Hicks still hasn't improved and Dozier is still locked in at 2B then it makes sense to consider the transition to a corner outfield spot.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB is hardly the only employer to test for THC. Its their prerogative. And it makes perfect sense from a productivity angle IMO.
    THC potency in MJ averaged just above 3 % in 1993, today the average is around 12.4%, with at least 15 strains tested by High Times coming in around 25% and one testing at 36%. I'm for legalizing all drugs, not just marijuana. But like any other psychotropic drug, it's critical to understand what exactly it is that you're ingesting and what the side effects are. More information, regulation and research on the individual efficacy and side effects of the exact product being ingested is desperately needed- as this story illustrates:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014...s-hazy-at-best

Just like the warning on cold medications not to operate heavy machinery for a certain period of time, and truck and courier drivers driving under the influence of alcohol, employers probably have the right to know if their employees are on company time and potentially impaired in their judgement. But 50 games seems way too excessive- even for a 3rd offense, let alone a second one, until the day comes that MLB could definitively prove that MJ is a dangerous PED (highly unlikely).
    Last edited by jokin; 04-30-2014 at 01:46 PM.

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (04-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Who is your LF next year, or are we punting next year too?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Just like the warning on cold medications not to operate heavy machinery for a certain period of time, and truck and courier drivers driving under the influence of alcohol, employers probably have the right to know if their employees are on company time and potentially impaired in their judgement.
    If the public is at risk, sure. I don't see how it's my employer's business what I'm doing in my free time any more than it's my right to tell them which politicians to support through lobbying. My job involves no risk to the public if I'm on medication/drugs. If my employer wants to fire me for bad performance, so be it. That's their right... But it's not their right to control my private life if it's not impacting my performance.

14. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (04-30-2014), zchrz (04-30-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Who is your LF next year, or are we punting next year too?
    It won't be hard to find a dozen options who have a floor higher than Eddie Rosario, a guy whose bat barely profiles as a corner outfielder anyway.

16. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (05-01-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    We'll just disagree on it being easy for the Twins to acquire legit position players over the last 5-8 years.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zchrz View Post
    I won't comment on the legality of drug testing. All I know is I'm more productive as a sober person and not as a half-baked, hungover, or low on sleep person. So it seems reasonable that the company paying 100% of my salary would expect me to produce at 100% efficiency.

19. These 3 users like Willihammer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (04-30-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-01-2014), twinsin17 (04-30-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    I don't disagree with testing....I think the penalty is harsh.....
    Lighten up Francis....

21. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (04-30-2014)

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    I wish him well and I hope he takes the lesson to heart and learns from his own stupidity.

While many of you may believe that marijuana will eventually be legal everywhere, it isn't at this point. And many lessons may well be learned from Colorado and Washington.

The Twins appear to have handled this well. Let's see if Rosario does so going forward.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    I don't disagree with testing....I think the penalty is harsh.....
    Perhaps.

But for young players, it is also about self-discipline.

Rosario failed on that front.

Senior Member MVP
    Agree, JB. I know I would not have done what he did.....and he knew the consequences when he did it. I too think the Twins handled the privacy well, actually. (two compliments to the FO in one week, someone check the air in here!)
    Lighten up Francis....

25. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-30-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I won't comment on the legality of drug testing. All I know is I'm more productive as a sober person and not as a half-baked, hungover, or low on sleep person. So it seems reasonable that the company paying 100% of my salary would expect me to produce at 100% efficiency.
    Except that testing only punishes one of those things. There are a million ways to be inefficient, yet we've chosen to punish just a few of those things through testing.

At some point, we as individuals have rights. We are not property of whomever is employing us at any given point. I show up to do a job and then I go home and do whatever I please. If my employer doesn't like what I do with that free time or feel that my actions are disrupting my performance, they can fire me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    The alcohol bit is completely untrue. Drug tests DO test for alcohol, but it stays in your system for a much shorter period than marijuana, opiads, amphetamines, etc. Something about a half life and science stuff I don't get. But my papi worked many years in HR and had to administer many tests for alcohol and drugs. If it is a blood test, you can test for anything. Hair samples are even better, but you can only go back so far (in terms of months). I believe you can go back years (maybe forever) in your hair follicles.

As far as "it should be legal so let them do it" argument...I don't agree. Private business can, and should be able to test for whatever they want. In the eyes of the federal law, marijuana is illegal EVERYWHERE, regardless of what state law is. My senior government kids get pissed about this all the time, but I MAKE them understand that federal law supersedes state law. Just ask John C. Calhoun, Jefferson Davis, and the Confederacy about laws and who tells who what to do. That is my government/law and justice rant for today

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast