Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Who starts Sunday?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who starts Sunday?

With the double header Thursday, Sunday's starter is out of sync?

Do the Twins give Gibson the start in short rest?

Do they get Deduno ready to take the start?

Do they call up a 26th man to be the starter on Thursday? Looking at the Rochester rotation, it could be Trevor May. They have said they will start Nolasco and Pelfrey.

Do they call up a starter from Rochester for Sunday? It would by Alex Meyer's start (at least it will be his normal rest). That would involve a roster move on the 25 and 40.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I like b. or c.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Twins will call up Kris Johnson from Triple-A Rochester to star the second game of Thursday's doubleheader versus the Dodgers.

He'll be the 26th man and will get sent back down right after the outing. However, Johnson has a chance to make a good impression with the rest of the Twins' rotation struggling. The 29-year-old left-hander has put up a 2.86 ERA over his first four starts at Triple-A.

Source: Dustin Morse on Twitter

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kris Johnson takes the 26th Man spot and starts the nightcap on Thursday. Nolasco starts Friday, and they're back on the beam, such as it is.
    Last edited by cmathewson; 04-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This puts Johnson on Pelfrey's rotation schedule if his spot doesn't move again when he goes back to Rochester... Hmmm...

6. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-29-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Chris Johnson takes the 26th Man spot and starts the nightcap on Thursday. Nolasco starts Friday, and they're back on the beam, such as it is.
    Kris.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    This puts Johnson on Pelfrey's rotation schedule if his spot doesn't move again when he goes back to Rochester... Hmmm...
    Yet another Indie-League refugee and a guy who has spent parts of the last 6 seasons in AAA. Notiwthstanding his excellent results the last 2 seasons, let's adjust our expectations accordingly for viewing KJ as anything but a stop-gap panacea. We can all hope for an Andrew Albers-type debut, but the entire bulk of Albers time with the Twins is probably the utter most one could realistically hope for from KJ.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-30-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    He's up for the night game and going back. They've shuffled things around so Nolasco starts the afternoon game and Pelfrey the evening game. Johnson is here for bullpen support.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Kris.
    Good catch. Fixed.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    He's up for the night game and going back. They've shuffled things around so Nolasco starts the afternoon game and Pelfrey the evening game. Johnson is here for bullpen support.
    Here's Mntwins.com's version of events, as of Midnight:

Twins to recall Johnson for doubleheader

With six games in five days, lefty to pitch Game 2 against Dodgers

By Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com | 4/30/2014 12:05 A.M. ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins will recall left-hander Kris Johnson from Triple-A Rochester to start Game 2 of Thursday's doubleheader against the Dodgers, Minnesota announced on Tuesday night.
    I wish they'd get their story straight, or at least keep the "story" updated on their own information dissemination service to the public. Do you have a link verifying this new info?
    Last edited by jokin; 04-30-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Without an extra starter Thursday, they would be facing a short rest situation on both Sunday AND Monday, unless they were also ready to insert Deduno by Sunday.

I think the official pronouncements are pretty clear now: Johnson to start the nightcap Thursday, and the rotation is staying the same (for now).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    When I first saw that Kris Johnson was getting a start I wondered if Pelfrey was going to have his turn skipped, but I think it makes sense to run him out there at least couple more times before calling it a failed experiment to extend his contract.
    I Can't wait for warmer temperatures at Target Field. The weather has been awful, and may have a little something to do with the rotation's slow start. Then again, Pelfrey's performance so far has seemingly had more to do with diminished velocity and poor command.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Not holding my breath it matters, given the weather. I like that Johnson is getting a shot.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Can we please stop with the "maybe they will pitch better when the weather gets better" mantra? As far as I can tell, the weather is the same for both pitchers. If they can't pitch in cold weather, perhaps they need a special clause in their contract as its usually not warm in April / May. Pitch better or get replaced.

16. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-30-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    It's more about my personal comfort in my seat at TF that I am anxious for the temperatures to rise, though I do see that I implied in my last comment there's a link between weather and performance.
    It's not really a supportable argument, I agree, I don't mean to suggest that warmer weather will improve the pitching at all.

18. This user likes Kirby_Waved_At_Me's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (04-30-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    I agree the temperature factor cancels out, but on the other hand ending the rainouts so the starters pitch on the normal schedule may in fact help. Only time will answer that.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.