Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball Allegiance Map

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimv2 View Post
    I lived in both Davenport and Des Moines, IA. Davenport is very much a National League city, with the vast majority of allegiance being to the Cubs, and most of the rest to the Cards. Not much interest in White Sox, even though they're technically the closest team, and Twins are an afterthought (and, I think) geographically more distant than those other three teams. Even back in the day when Davenport was the Twins' low A affiliate--Mauer played there, nobody really cared about the Twins.

Des Moines is the long-time home of the Iowa Cubs--the AAA affiliate. Putting a AA team in CR isn't going to change their loyaties. And it may be a blip, but Drake is in Des Moines, and Drake has a much larger proportion of North SIde of Chicago residents than it does Minnesotans.

Somebody mentioned HIghway 20. My expereince is that once you get NOrth of 20, there's far more interest in things Minnesota than anywhere else in the state. And I think it goes well beyond sports.
    While I get your point, referencing the out of state students at a 5,000 enrollment Drake probably isn't the best way to validate what you are saying. Having went to Iowa though, I can vouch for you that eastern Iowa is more or less NL country thanks to all the Chicago transplants in Iowa City.

That being said, I don't get the idea behind only trying to promote south of 20 some of the time for the Twins. Even though the Iowa Cubs are here, there is a very high number of people in the area that are not Cubs fans. It seems to me that when attendance starts to dip is when they would want to promote more to get people outside of the Minneapolis area to come to a game.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    I wonder how large the Blue Jays allegiance map would be..

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Just thought I'd mention that KGYM in Cedar Rapids is carrying some (but not nearly all) of the Twins games on one of their FM frequencies (107.5) this year. Had been carrying WSox games the past few years but switched to the Twins this year.

I doubt we'll see Twins games on free TV until the cable industry goes bust. Can't happen too soon, for my tastes.
    I didn't know that, I can listen to day games at work

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Interesting to see that. Back before the last expansion (and the Rockies,) the Twins dominated the Montana and Wyoming markets and parts of Colorado, Idaho and Utah markets. That's were most of the erosion has been, not in IA If
    anything, the Cubs have been losing ground there the last few years.
    Think that had anything to do with Harmon being an Idaho boy?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    Think that had anything to do with Harmon being an Idaho boy?
    May have also had something to do with the Twins having AAA affiliates in the area for some time. Both Denver and Portland at various times. But, honestly, before the Rockies and Mariners, the Twins were the closest geographic MLB team for folks in Wyoming, Montana, etc.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Interesting to see that. Back before the last expansion (and the Rockies,) the Twins dominated the Montana and Wyoming markets and parts of Colorado, Idaho and Utah markets. That's were most of the erosion has been, not in IA If anything, the Cubs have been losing ground there the last few years.
    Interesting, too bad I hadn't noticed that. The only time I wasn't living on the east coast was when I lived in Colorado and Wyoming. The Denver Bears were a Montreal AAA club at the time, and they were great (Tim Raines, etc.)!

I recognize that it is probably due to the La Crosse market, but the fact that Winona and La Crescent are in Brewers territory does not sit right.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Where's China on this map? I'll give you a big 'ol blue spot on that map...

Saw this on FG and loved the details; liked the 'hoagie' line and lack of A's fans anywhere.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I grew up in Winona way, way back when and just about the whole town followed the Cubs, that is until the Braves moved from Boston to Milwaukee, the games were broadcast on a La Crosse station and everyone switched their allegiance to the Braves simply because the Cubs' games were no longer available on the La Crosse station because of the Braves taking over that entire market. It only made sense and I am sure many baseball fans in Minnesota simply kept following the Brewers instead of switching to the Twins. On the other hand many Wisconsin baseball fans that live East of the Twin Cities attend the Twins' games instead of driving to Milwaukee and I am sure they listen to their broadcasts as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12