Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Appel sent to EST

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'd say he's doing more than holding his own. He's 19 at high A and has a .300/.366/.463 slash.
    Yeah, that's impressive but it's also a hitters league - I believe he's around 30th in each of those triple slash categories (Buxton, for comparison, was also 19 last year in A+ and was among the leaders in his league in those categories, which was also more of a pitcher's league). He's also sat out about a week with a minor injury. I wasn't trying to disparage Correa, he's a legit prospect and a better one than Appel.

2. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (04-30-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yeah, that's impressive but it's also a hitters league - I believe he's around 30th in each of those triple slash categories (Buxton, for comparison, was also 19 last year in A+ and was among the leaders in his league in those categories, which was also more of a pitcher's league). He's also sat out about a week with a minor injury. I wasn't trying to disparage Correa, he's a legit prospect and a better one than Appel.
    True, it's a hitter's league but it's also only the first month of the season at a new level. I think it's safe to say Correa's numbers will continue to climb as he adjusts.

But I didn't take it that you were disparaging Correa.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, it worked out for Appel - going back to school netted him several more millions than if he had signed with the Pirates (it also helped the Twins net Stewart by adding one more pick into the 2013 draft).

You missed the point. Look how much risk he took on. What if he struggled, got hurt, or his velo dropped last year at Stanford? I would guess he had at least a 25% shot of that happening. Now he goes 25th overall or something. Let's not forget, he went 8th overall because of Boras demands in the first place. The slot at 1-1 was $7.9M and he ended up getting only $6.3M the following year.

AND, he is now another year removed from arbitration and free agency. Just silly.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2013-mlb-a...ft-pick-values
    Last edited by tobi0040; 04-30-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    You missed the point. Look how much risk he took on. What if he struggled, got hurt, or his velo dropped last year at Stanford? I would guess he had at least a 25% shot of that happening. Now he goes 25th overall or something. Let's not forget, he went 8th overall because of Boras demands in the first place. The slot at 1-1 was $7.9M and he ended up getting only $6.3M the following year.

AND, he is now another year removed from arbitration and free agency. Just silly.

I'm sure he got insurance for his senior year which covered some of that. And I don't think it makes a lot of sense for a college player to worry about getting the big paycheck from arbitration/free agency at the cost of his first contract. In a best case scenario for Appel, he would have ended up debuting at the same age, regardless of the extra college year. In the worst case, he never makes the adjustment to MLB and doesn't make the majors.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post

The risk for Appel was less than other players. He comes from a more affluent family, Would collected a college degree from a good school, and had his arm insured by Lloyds of London, so if it did fall off his Senior year, he'd still be a millionaire. So that would leave the high stakes Black Jack scenario your talking about, where you have a million in your pocket (25th pick) 3 million on the table (8th pick in 2012) and 6-8 million if you win (1st overall). Worst case, Your a millionaire, best case your a even richer millionaire.

The REAL risk is going to a college program with a history of pitchers getting overwork/ overused and Alumni who never live up to their promise due to injury. Now that your in that program another year, did you just give up a future 100 million contract at 32, because your career was derailed by injures? hmmmm.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure he got insurance for his senior year which covered some of that. And I don't think it makes a lot of sense for a college player to worry about getting the big paycheck from arbitration/free agency at the cost of his first contract. In a best case scenario for Appel, he would have ended up debuting at the same age, regardless of the extra college year. In the worst case, he never makes the adjustment to MLB and doesn't make the majors.
    The insurance part is tricky. If he got hurt to the point he could never play again he gets a payout. But in a more likely scenario where he is damaged and plays a little, his stock drops and his contract is much lighter. Insurance rarely covers where you will be drafted, only a payout in the event you can't play at all due to injury.

In the scenario Max is pointing to, this reduces the chances he ever gets the big payday.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 04-30-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12