Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Article: How Much Longer Will Alex Meyer (and Twins Fans) Wait?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Those are two very, very different things. One is an action that is more dangerous that sliding foot first, and there is ample evidence head first is slower. The other is about getting the best players up in the first place. I'd expect Trout to change his behavior quickly, and we move on. But I wouldn't keep Trout in AAA because some bad player on the MLB roster might get hurt, which is the argument being made here.
    Lighten up Francis....

2. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (04-30-2014), tobi0040 (04-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    no, at this point it is more important to have your best players up, giving you a better chance to win games. Doesn't matter how many options you have, if you are 15 games under .500. I don't understand how that is hard to understand. Can you help me understand why it is better to have worse players playing (increasing your odds of losing), but to have more of them?
    Amen. I have seen many point to the ERA's of Darnell, Pino, etc. and suggest a long line exists between Meyer and the Twins. I see Johnson was called up for a double header, that is fine as calling up Meyer for one start would force a roster move. When it is time for someone to be called up for good, it has to be Meyer. I am not going to look at numbers after four starts, I am going to look at the big picture.

Johnson - 28 years old. 940 IP, 4.23 ERA, 6.3 K per 9.

Darnell - 25 years old. 576 IP, 3.98 ERA, 6.3 K per 9.

May - 24 years old. 695 IP, 4.08 ERA, 10.7 K per 9.

Pino - 30 years old. 1,055 IP, 3.79 ERA, 8.1 K per 9.

Meyer - 24 years old. 234 IP. 2.88 ERA. 10.5 K per 9.

One of these does not look like the other.

Regarding an innings limit for Meyer, great point by CMAT. Why waste those in Rochester? Also, the longevity over the last 3-5 years of guys that throw upper 90's, a good amount of sliders, with a more violent delivery is not great. Maybe we only get 200, 400, or 600 innings of freakish numbers out of him. Get him up here.

We are 1.5 games out of first place. Meyer and Deduno over Pelfrey and KC could make a reasonable rotation with upside.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 04-30-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

I think it is important to note here also that although Meyer's future is brighter than any of these on this list, at least 1 (May) if not 2 (May, Darnell) likely have a future with the Twins as well. So another factor to consider for Meyer's promotion is does it make more sense from a roster standpoint or developmental standpoint to promote someone like May or Darnell.

5. This user likes kdrupp09's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (04-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrupp09 View Post

I think it is important to note here also that although Meyer's future is brighter than any of these on this list, at least 1 (May) if not 2 (May, Darnell) likely have a future with the Twins as well. So another factor to consider for Meyer's promotion is does it make more sense from a roster standpoint or developmental standpoint to promote someone like May or Darnell.
    Frankly, Meyer is the only one that we know for sure. May is probably the only other guy and that is if he is consistent. Meyer, Nolasco, and Hughes are locks. Gibson is probably going to be here and we have plenty of money to spend on another.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Frankly, Meyer is the only one that we know for sure. May is probably the only other guy and that is if he is consistent. Meyer, Nolasco, and Hughes are locks. Gibson is probably going to be here and we have plenty of money to spend on another.
    Is it really necessary for the Twins to go sign another and potentially block some of our young arms such as Kohl Stewart or Berrios?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post

Johson is actually 29 (and turns 30 in October), he actually looks a lot more like Pino than the others. Clearly the best player is Meyer, and he has little left to prove at AAA. As many have already said, AA is really the proving ground for major league readiness, AAA is just the holdng pen for depth options. Let's go, already.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-30-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Is it really necessary for the Twins to go sign another and potentially block some of our young arms such as Kohl Stewart or Berrios?
    Those guys are in A-ball and have ETA of 2016 at the earliest. Also, you can never have enough pitching.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Those guys are in A-ball and have ETA of 2016 at the earliest. Also, you can never have enough pitching.
    And Meyer and May? And, 2016 is only 2 seasons away......look, I wanted better pitchers this year, and last, but at some point, you gotta fix other spots. Now, if you want to sign Shields, and deal a legit starter for a SS, I'm all eyes and ear.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Rule of thump, one of your five guys will get hurt or fall off the wagon. A few years ago we had so much pitching we traded Matt Garza. Blackburn and Slowey are not what we thought they were and Baker has been hurt.

Stewart is so young, I wouldn't worry about blocking him right now. What they need to worry about is finding better pitchers than their current rotation if they want to be a winning team in the next few years. My worry is not that, in the end, the current rotation isn't good enough, it's that this front office is not a good judge of how to spend money on pitching. If this rotation continues to suck all season and they go out and sign another Hughes, I guess I just give up.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Look, I'm a huge Meyer fan and supporter. I completely and utterly believe in him as a top prospect and an eventual stud pitcher. Not just from prospect rankings and box scores, but from watching a couple starts in the AZ league you can just see the velocity and hard downward plane of his stuff, as long as he just keeps his mechanics in check.

And I think he just might be on a fast track to the Twin Cities. And I am beyond thrilled with his early start to the season. But a quick reality check please. His innings last year were, unfortunately, limited. He's been a consistent 3rd pitch away from dominance. Fortunately for him, and all of us, he just might have found that pitch. But can we give him more than 5 starts, 2 of them fantastic to be true, at AAA to refine himself, gain confidence and consistency before calling him up?

If Meyer keeps doing what he's been doing, gets anywhere from 5 to 10 starts, and is up for the second half, color me pink and tickled to death. So what if he is on an innings limit this year and gets shut down sometime in September in favor of perhaps another young pitcher, May or Darnell or even Deduno? He can gain experience and confidence, pitch for a couple months at the ML level, hopefully with great success, and be poised as a fixture for 2015.

I understand wanting our immensely young talented prospects to climb the ladder quickly and put us back in to serious contention. But I think the ideas of Sano, pre-injury, Buxton and Meyer and others all jumping to the majors this season at once, and making huge impacts is just a little bit unrealistic.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Now, if you want to sign Shields, and deal a legit starter for a SS, I'm all eyes and ear.
    only one?

15. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-30-2014)

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Bert Blyleven. Because it fits well with the other premises.
    Sweet Music

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678