Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: How Much Longer Will Alex Meyer (and Twins Fans) Wait?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: How Much Longer Will Alex Meyer (and Twins Fans) Wait?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Now I'm all excited too.

I guess if it were up to me, if we see two more awful starts from Correia or Pelfrey, along with two more quality starts from Meyer, I think you bring him up. The Twins are in contention, lets see if they can keep it that way for awhile. It has been fun to watch, I can only imagine that it has been fun on the field and in the dugout. Reward the kid for pitching well and the players for winning more games than they have lost.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Send up one of the lefties, to spread out the log game at AA/AAA of LHP starters. If after 4-5 starts Johnson/Darnel can't hack it, then send up Meyer. If they show they are Major league ready, Than a Gibson, Meyer, Darnel back 3 is the beginnings of a rotation on a contender.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Send up one of the lefties, to spread out the log game at AA/AAA of LHP starters. If after 4-5 starts Johnson/Darnel can't hack it, then send up Meyer. If they show they are Major league ready, Than a Gibson, Meyer, Darnel back 3 is the beginnings of a rotation on a contender.
    I don't get this fascination that you need to have a lefty in the rotation at the expense of a more talented starter. I hope that the Twins are able to get Meyer and Deduno into the rotation in the next month since they are the only non-rotation options that have a chance at being better than average.

Seth I share your excitement for Meyer. I'd like to see him hone his change up for the time being in AAA and see him as a later season call up, however. If he can nail that pitch down it will make his transition to the bigs much easier. No doubt he represents an upgrade over Pelfrey and Correia but it is more likely Duffey or Johnson gets the call first in the event of an injury or demotion given their spots on the 40 man and the fact that we have no LHPs in the rotation currently. You said it best when you said there is no risk to have him continue to make AAA starts. Since Meyer represents the future of the rotation and we realistically have a much better shot at contending 3-4 yrs down the road than this or next season I think an extra year of control is extremely valuable for the team in the long run.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    First of all, I am excited about Meyer as well. He was my pitcher to click and Colabello my batter. He has great stuff but a 3.48 ERA isn't really anything to be excited about, he is learning a new pitch and unless you think he is going to cause the Twins to contend all year promoting him now at the possible cost of a year of having him at all much less a year of control is hardly worth rushing him. 2nd of all but someone please correct me if I am wrong, right now he is the 4th most effective starter in Rochester's rotation!! Darnell has a 1.69 ERA in 4 starts. Kris Johnson in 4 starts has a 2.86 ERA. Pino in 2 starts has a 1.17 ERA. If you are going to judge performances this early then why start with Meyer?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    The Twins already have the extra season of control of Meyer. To gain an additional year of control at this point Meyer would have to stay in AAA until mid April 2015. If he was called up before July (floating date) Meyer would go to arbitration a year early though and potentially earn 5ish extra million.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    If his changeup has really taken that big a step forward with the change in grips, I would like to see him get a few more AAA starts to work on that. A nasty change opposed to an average one would make him an even better pitcher (3 + pitches coming with from the sky with his velocity and build puts him in the possible ace category).

It seems like he would have a better chance to hone that pitch (that he has thrown for 2 starts now) in the minors, to be called up in a month or so when he has fully forced the issue.

If they want more immediate help Deduno is there, Johnson in pitching well, Darnell is pitching well, Pino is pitching well. Its a shame May hasn't preformed because he probably would have had the first shot.
    Last edited by zchrz; 04-29-2014 at 02:37 AM.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Sorry, Seth, if they're going to wait until June, they're going to wait until mid to late June. Super 2 isn't safely escaped from until the summer solstice!

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he's on an innings limit, why would you burn those precious innings in AAA? I'm all for waiting until he's ready. But if he's got nothing left to learn at AAA, bring him up.

Also, this contract stuff is nonsense. He'll get a long-term deal long before he's arbitration eligible.

12. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

amjgt (04-29-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does his service time start when he's called up or is it the cumulative time. For example if he were to hit a innings limit in August and being shut down for the season would that cut off a month of time?

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    If he's on an innings limit, why would you burn those precious innings in AAA? I'm all for waiting until he's ready. But if he's got nothing left to learn at AAA, bring him up.

Also, this contract stuff is nonsense. He'll get a long-term deal long before he's arbitration eligible.
    Agreed, the FO will pay the man his due to keep him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a couple more starts at AAA working on the change up might be helpful. Sure he probably walks too many also, but it's helpful that he can get out of jams by himself with the strikeout

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    My guess as to what will happen (not to be confused with what I might want) is that first will come the Pelfrey-Deduno swap. After that, the shopping of Correia. Meyer will take that spot, which puts this in late June at the earliest. That would be my guess.

I would not feel bad to be proved wrong.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

17. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (04-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Agreed, the FO will pay the man his due to keep him.
    Boras does have that track record of his clients hitting free agency, but maybe we can arrange a conversation with Alex getting life lessons from Kendrys Morales, and Stephen Drew. Take the $$!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Seth touched on it some in the article, but I believe the Twins will also attempt to line it up so that Meyer may get 2 straight starts at Target Field because the atmosphere/environment will be electric. Not saying that this will really influence the decision, however I do believe if they have to give Meyer an extra AAA start in order to line up 2 straight starts at home for Meyer they will.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    He's 24, not 19. He'll be 30 when they would lose him, not 26. But I expect them to keep him down "to be more consistent with his changeup" before coming up. I expect Pelfrey to continue being awful (as he has been the majority of his career, btw). I expect the value of Meyer's future starts to be low, since they'll cycle through much worse pitchers and start losing more. But hey, in the future they'll have the best players up right away, really.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I might be wrong but I don't believe there's a single instance of Boras doing this with a high profile client.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we go through two or three more times in the rotation and guys haven't had better results, some changes need to be made. I doubt Meyer will be the first one up as much as I wish he was. I'm very excited to see him. If he puts up a couple more starts in a row like his last two however, it would be very hard to not bring him up.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast