Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Finding Room For Arcia

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to work WITH Bruno than sending him to AAA to work away from him??
    Don't the Twins have access to Skype?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    By that logic, why does Bruno even travel with the team then? He could just Skype all his players to watch their swings and hang out in Cali...I need to get on that plan

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    It shouldn't be that hard to figure out... just send down corner outfielder Chris Herrmann.

4. These 4 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (04-28-2014), LaBombo (04-28-2014), mike wants wins (04-28-2014), USAFChief (04-28-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Pinto behind the plate more, Suzuki on the bench more. Arcia is part of the future and present, they should really bench him for Kurt Suzuki? Really?
    I can't believe that I am ending up siding more frequently with management, but I'm in the "Get Arcia Right" camp at this point. Arcia wasn't right in ST, and his first PAs in April before his trip to the DL was more of the same, along with his OF mis-adventures. Gardy was quoted by LEN3 as saying that he wants Arcia back soon, or even sooner, just as soon as he shows glimpses of himslef at his best last year. I'm willing to have him get a little time in Rochester before they make the move. I really like what he can offer to this team when he's at his 100% best.

The Pinto/Suzuki deal is a different kettle of fish. Give the Braintrust credit for scuttling the "Fryer for All-Star!" campaign and giving Pinto his well-deserved shot. And as we've seen, his play behind the plate is still a work in progress. This leaves the Twins in a classic case of being on the horns of a dilemma- and exacerbated with Gardy's anal obtuseness about the use of only 2 catchers on the roster. Both choices for who gets playing time, and how much, hurts the team in the present. Perhaps the best course of action is to let the situation evolve, eventually Suzuki will revert to his career norms or worse at the plate, and hopefully, Pinto is getting the 3-On-1 crash course in Catching 101 from Steiny, Mauer and Suzuki, meaning that gradually in the next few months the playing time ratios for Suzuki and Pinto get reversed.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-28-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was going to say the same thing as Boom Boom. I know Gardy likes Hermann's versatility, but why have a .600 OPS guy who might catch 9 innings a month instead of an .800 OPS guy who will never catch?
    Last edited by cmathewson; 04-28-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I can't believe that I am ending up siding more frequently with management, but I'm in the "Get Arcia Right" camp at this point. Arcia wasn't right in ST, and his first PAs in April before his trip to the DL was more of the same, along with his OF adventures. Gardy was quoted by LEN3 as saying that he wants Arcia back soon, or even sooner, just as soon as he shows glimpses of him at his best last year. I'm willing to have him get a little time in Rochester before they make the move. I really like what he can offer to this team when he's at his 100% best.

The Pinto/Suzuki deal a different kettle of fish. Give the Braintrust credit for scuttling the "Fryer for All-Star!" campaign and giving Pinto his well-deserved shot. And as we've seen, his play behind the plate is still a work in progress. This leaves the Twins in a classic case of being on the horns of a dilemma. Both choices for who gets playing time, and how much, hurts the team in the present. Perhaps the best course of action is to let the situation evolve, eventually Suzuki will revert to his career norms or worse at the plate, and hopefully, Pinto is getting the 3-On-1 crash course in Catching 101 from Steiny, Mauer and Suzuki, meaning that gradually in the next few months the playing time ratios for Suzuki and Pinto get reversed.
    He'll have his whole rehab assignment to get right. That's 20 games. At the end of that period, if he isn't raking, you can option him. I'd be very surprised if he isn't raking in 20 games. Arcia is a major league hitter. Hermann is a AAAA player. It's that simple.

Why is AAA always the answer when guys struggle? Guys have slumps at different times of the year. If they're good hitters, they'll find their way out of slumps. Arcia is a good hitter.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    It shouldn't be that hard to figure out... just send down corner outfielder Chris Herrmann.
    Not that hard, heh? Then you try explaining it to Gardy....

9. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-28-2014), sorney (04-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I was going to say the same thing as Boom Boom. I know Gardy likes Hermann's versatility, but why have a .600 OPS guy who might catch 9 innings a month instead of an .800 OPS guy who will never catch?
    Yep... despite Gardy's worst fears of losing his DH, Herrmann hasn't done anything except play corner outfield and come in as a defensive replacement there (!). Now with Fuld on the team there's really no reason to have one of those.

I know that Gardy wants to keep Pinto in the lineup, and so do I, but if he's not catching he shouldn't be DHing either. There's plenty of other guys on the team (Kubel, Arcia, and Colabello) that should be seeing more time at DH anyway.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins' best defensive OF IMHO is Fuld, Hicks, Herrmann, but not by that much over Kubel, Hicks, Fuld. I don't think Herrmann's defensive "prowess" or his ability to catch are enough to keep him in the majors. I hope Arcia comes back at the end of his rehab as a more patient and disciplined hitter and also as someone who will focus on defense.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Yep... despite Gardy's worst fears of losing his DH, Herrmann hasn't done anything except play corner outfield and come in as a defensive replacement there (!). Now with Fuld on the team there's really no reason to have one of those.

I know that Gardy wants to keep Pinto in the lineup, and so do I, but if he's not catching he shouldn't be DHing either. There's plenty of other guys on the team (Kubel, Arcia, and Colabello) that should be seeing more time at DH anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    He'll have his whole rehab assignment to get right. That's 20 games. At the end of that period, if he isn't raking, you can option him. I'd be very surprised if he isn't raking in 20 games. Arcia is a major league hitter. Hermann is a AAAA player. It's that simple.

Why is AAA always the answer when guys struggle? Guys have slumps at different times of the year. If they're good hitters, they'll find their way out of slumps. Arcia is a good hitter.
    Whoa, did I miss something here? Hermann should have been gone yesterday, no, scratch that, he never should have been called up in the first place. And the myth about him being an "excellent corner OFer" was pretty much shattered this time around, as well.

Regarding Arcia, I'm actually optimistic and hopeful that his stint in Roc. can be less than 20 games, and that all of his struggles thus far are wrist-injury-related. But that's not to say that as much potential that Arcia has, he doesn't still have a ways to go to prove himself worthy of the mantle, "major league hitter", not while he's carrying that 31% K-rate and going through his well-expected youthful crises at the plate. And AAA has always been a good answer as a place to work on things in a low-stress-environment, even good hitters use this option to get their timing down and stamp out bad habits.

Now if only Jack Goin can just sit Gardy down and explain the statistical likelihood of being forced to bat a pitcher one time this season due to 2 catcher injuries in the same game.....is less than the likelihood of being struck by lightning....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The Twins' best defensive OF IMHO is Fuld, Hicks, Herrmann, but not by that much over Kubel, Hicks, Fuld. I don't think Herrmann's defensive "prowess" or his ability to catch are enough to keep him in the majors. I hope Arcia comes back at the end of his rehab as a more patient and disciplined hitter and also as someone who will focus on defense.
    Amen to all of the above.....And in this instance, the bolded word is worthy of double quotation marks.... "'prowess'"....Yeesh.

Just to clarify - I'm not against Pinto DHing per se, just against him DHing as much as he has been. There's a benefit to keeping him in the lineup when Suzuki is catching, but there's also a benefit to not having Colabello stumbling around right field.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstalker View Post
    I always love it when people forget who is managing.

Yeah, strategy and platooning. If only.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sorney View Post
    By that logic, why does Bruno even travel with the team then? He could just Skype all his players to watch their swings and hang out in Cali...I need to get on that plan
    No, Bruno needs to be with the 12 guys on the current roster directly in his charge. Meanwhile, Arcia needs to be rehabbing his injury and getting his wrist back to 100% playing condition and getting his timing back at a lower level of play.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Now if only Jack Goin can just sit Gardy down and explain the statistical likelihood of being forced to bat a pitcher one time this season due to 2 catcher injuries in the same game.....is less than the likelihood of being struck by lightning....
    And further the wear and tear on Mauer's knees for 2 innings in that situation that will never happen. I think the Twins have one math major on their staff so they can say they are not behind the times. I am guessing this person has no sway at all.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Just to clarify - I'm not against Pinto DHing per se, just against him DHing as much as he has been. There's a benefit to keeping him in the lineup when Suzuki is catching, but there's also a benefit to not having Colabello stumbling around right field.
    Yep. Hence the "horns of a dilemma" for the Twins and the quandry of the "proper" playing ratios for Suzuki and Pinto. Also, don't forget that Gardy feels you can never use your 2nd catcher to pinch hit in a 2-catcher roster alignment.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    And further the wear and tear on Mauer's knees for 2 innings in that situation that will never happen. I think the Twins have one math major on their staff so they can say they are not behind the times. I am guessing this person has no sway at all.
    Righto....but......Barring something unprecedentedly calamitous, Mauer is never going to play at the position again. But certainly Escobar can catch for an inning or 2 should the slightly less "unprecedentedly calamitous" occur. (It still grates me on that interview that Ryan and Gardy participated in a year ago when they belittled Goin's efforts at doing his job the right way).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Mauer didn't miss the last month+ last year because of wear and tear on his knees.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Herman is the perfect 26th man for the roster. Meaning he is good for those situations where a player gets hurt he can come up and help Pinto get more plate appearances at DH. Since Herman is not an actual solution he doesn't belong on the team for a full season. Right now everyone is producing above normal so we need to ride that out. Even Suzuki has 19 RBI in 59 AB. Arcia can spend a little time in Rochester. I would like to see him come up but with the 30+% K rate is that a good idea? It is when we need a hitter not when we are actually competitive. Willingham will be up soon too and that will cause a juggling of the lineup where Pinto will loose time and Kubel and Colabello will loose a little too. But as long as everyone has an OPS near .900 I don't see how we could bring up Arcia. Maybe when Willingham gets traded we can bring Arcia back up. or when the bat cool off. but ultimately its not a decision that has to be made until 20 day rehab assignment is over.

Blog Entries
    Yep, Joe will never catch again, not to save his knees, but primarily to save his brain. My sense is the concussion was much more serious than they let on, and they can't risk another one. As it is, I don't think he's all the way back from it. He's not seeing the ball as well as he was before it. Whether that's from residual affects or the long lay-off is anyone's guess.

Worst case, you lose the DH if Pinto has to catch and you pinch hit for the pitcher. With relievers coming in every inning, that's not a big deal. This is such a minor risk compared to the potential reward of having both Arcia and Pinto in the same line-up together, it should be a nonsissue.

But, this is Gardy. I just wish the FO would put the best roster together and tell Gardy to manage what he gets. We've seen what happens when they give him too much authority over the roster. The irony of Castro over Bartlett coming around to Bartlett over Presley is just mind boggling. The FO needs to stabilize the roster and make Gardy do the job he's paid to do.

23. These 3 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kevin (04-28-2014), mike wants wins (04-28-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (04-29-2014)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast