Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: My Twins Mt. Rushmore

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Anti-Rushmore? Well, this skews toward the current but Delmon Young, Liriano, Tommy Herr and Kevin Slowey (my least favorite Twin ever).

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you put four guys on your mountain, it is Carew, Puckett, Harmon and Tony-O. As someone who saw Oliva play, he deserves to be a Hall-of-Famer, and he played his entire career with the Twins. I think there should be five and Mauer would be the fifth guy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yep. Mauer HAS to be on this list. He has a slightly higher WAR than Oliva in 4-5 less seasons. He played catcher and did it at a high level. Their adjusted OPS+ is almost identical (133 to 135).

It's unfortunate that Oliva's career was derailed by injury but Mauer is the better player, period.
    But I think you have to be dead (or retired) to be on Mount Rushmore. So I say no Mauer.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This idea makes a great mental image. Somebody should Photoshop it.

Every MLB team could have a Mount Rushmore. It could be something to sell at the All-Star Game. Somehow.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because Mt Rushmore is a big franchise thing, in my book it will have to start with Walter Johnson and Clark Griffith. I'd take Killebrew as the third one no problem, but I would have to think about who the fourth one would be... Not Carew. 11 seasons only. My gut says Bucky Harris, but I have to think about that too...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always try to sign my name neatly because of Harmon Killebrew. It's a bit of a challenge for me because I don't always have the best handwriting.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Pat Mahomes on Anti-Rushmore

Rather than some short-lived Twins like Livan (Sells Cartoon Balloons in Town) Hernandez and Sidney Ponzon, I'd pick one that had the Twins faithful all excited when he came up from the minors. Yet, that Twin, Pat Mahomes, offered little except a drunken crash on a bridge.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    When I put this together I was considering only retired players, for me Mt. Rushmore is for people that have finished carving their place in history (or in this case Twins history). So Mauer could go there someday. I also considered players from the Twins era only. I think Walter Johnson is the best player in franchise history, but I'm a baseball fan because of the Minnesota Twins.

I like all the different choices I've read about here. I picked Tony O, Puck, Harmon and Carew for very personal reasons. I picked Tony O over TK for the fourth spot because he did something very special for a childhood friend of mine back in his playing days.

I know other people have their own four people for different reasons, I really enjoyed reading all the different opinions, that is what makes this sort of thing fun. I had a hard time deciding what pitchers to put among the Twins all-time greats. There have been many good ones but it seems the Twins have been dominated by guys who win batting titles.

Thanks for all the comments.

Liked 3,152 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Harmon, Sir Rodney, Puckett, and Tony-O on my Twins Mt Rushmore as well.

Great idea for an article, BTW!
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Anti-Rushmore? Well, this skews toward the current but Delmon Young, Liriano, Tommy Herr and Kevin Slowey (my least favorite Twin ever).
    No room for Ron Davis?

ron Davis guns.jpg

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I'm not going to dog the writer of the post for his choices or anything, but I equate "Mount Rushmore" lists with YOLO or planking - fads that should just stop. Baseball's played with 9 players, so a fun exercise would be the best starting nine for the team in its history. Football definitely doesn't work, but there's plenty on Twitter on that as well. Basketball is the one where a lot of this mess started, but it also has 5 players on the court, so really, the argument should be whether Russell or Chaimberlain is best, or if a modern center like David Robinson or Shaq could lay claim to the title. These things are Bleacher Report quality discussions, which is fodder for the KFAN and STrib boards, hopefully not here!
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Maybe instead of retiring numbers they could just carve faces into the limestone?

... Maybe not.

I think the people worth consideration for a Twins Mt. Rushmore have to be:

Killebrew
    Puckett
    Carew
    Tony O
    Walter Johnson
    Tom Kelly
    The Metrodome's Right Field Baggy (kidding ?)

The only thing keeping Mauer from my personal list is that he is still active. The not-quite-there guys would be all the Twins' own hall of famers like Hrbek, Blyleven, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Kirby_Waved_At_Me; 04-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Here is my Mount Leathermore:

Greg Gagne, Torii Hunter, Dougie Mientkiewicz, and... wait for it.. little Nickie P..

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yep. Mauer HAS to be on this list. He has a slightly higher WAR than Oliva in 4-5 less seasons. He played catcher and did it at a high level. Their adjusted OPS+ is almost identical (133 to 135).

It's unfortunate that Oliva's career was derailed by injury but Mauer is the better player, period.
    Mauer has a long way to go. His lifetime BA is good, but he's one of the worst clutch hitters around.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by macmic View Post
    Mauer has a long way to go. His lifetime BA is good, but he's one of the worst clutch hitters around.
    Second verse, same as the first. 188th verse... same as the first.

Joe Mauer has a career .933 OPS with runners in scoring position. Joe's overall career OPS is .870.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    The tough thing is only 4... and I agree with Brandon wholeheartedly. Go figure!

I'd say Carew and Oliva were similar-type players, so you might have to make a tough choice there. I'd go with Sir Rodney. Opens up a spot for a pitcher, and I'm partial to a guy named Walter. Otherwise, Kitty Kaat comes to mind, Mudcat, Bert, Sweet Music, Reardon, Radke (?) Johan, The Gambler (just checkin'), Eddie (?), Rick Reed (checkin' again), Nathan...

With the All-Star game coming, I think you're ahead of the curve... I expect all-time Sens/Twins lists to start popping up around then- hope so, anyway.
    With a full roster to play with, you'd have a chance to really flesh things out... 25 or 40-man rosters... could be fun.

Sam Rice!
    If Mudcat, Bert, or Viola were here longer than they would have a shot. Same with Johan (he would have needed more longevity anyway). I think you go Puck, Carew, Killebrew, and Mauer.

Quote Originally Posted by macmic View Post
    This urban legend just won't die.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    If Mudcat, Bert, or Viola were here longer than they would have a shot. Same with Johan (he would have needed more longevity anyway). I think you go Puck, Carew, Killebrew, and Mauer.
    This would be my group as well. If we're including Senators, I'd bump Mauer for Johnson with the expectation that Mauer might someday replace Carew.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me, if you don't have Killebrew, Oliva and Puckett, don't bother with the monument at all.

I'd say, start chiseling their likenesses in to the mountain and we'll decide on the 4th face when you have those three done. I'd imagine that face would eventually be Mauer, but I wouldn't commit until he's much closer to the end of his career.

Guys like Carew and Blyleven are certainly worthy, but my preference would be to limit the list to those who spent pretty much their entire careers (or at least entire productive careers) with the Twins. That's also a reason I would hold off on Mauer, for a bit.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Guys like Carew and Blyleven are certainly worthy, but my preference would be to limit the list to those who spent pretty much their entire careers (or at least entire productive careers) with the Twins. That's also a reason I would hold off on Mauer, for a bit.
    Mauer is signed through his age 36 season and has a no-trade clause. I think it's a given that he's going to spend the vast majority of his career playing for the Twins.

Besides, Oliva only really spent 13 seasons with the Twins. Mauer is already in his 11th season with the team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast