Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84

Thread: Pelfrey to the bullpen?

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,124
    Like
    100
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Right now, I see two guys in front of Meyer. Johnson and Deduno.

    May still has a lot to prove before he gets the call. Darnell isn't in the conversation, IMO.

    Either way, I expect to see Meyer at some point this season... Probably September unless everyone in front of him crumbles. Next season, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the rotation on Opening Day.
    It is pretty simple, Meyer won't be up until the June deadline. After that deadline, nobody is in front of him. None of the guys on our roster or in AAA are on his level.

  2. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    cmathewson (04-28-2014)

  3. #42
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    By june, how many innings will he have left on what is likely an innings' limit this year?
    Lighten up Francis....

  4. #43
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    It is pretty simple, Meyer won't be up until the June deadline. After that deadline, nobody is in front of him. None of the guys on our roster or in AAA are on his level.
    Possible, I only wonder if the Twins might be reluctant to promote early because he's not on the 40 man. Either way, I'm not terribly concerned about it. I think they'll have him in Minnesota at some point this season.

  5. #44
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    By june, how many innings will he have left on what is likely an innings' limit this year?
    I'm not sure Meyer is going to be on any kind of innings limit.

    Maybe if he gets to 170+ innings, they might shelve him for the season but I don't think they're going to be overly cautious with his arm.

  6. #45
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm not sure Meyer is going to be on any kind of innings limit.

    Maybe if he gets to 170+ innings, they might shelve him for the season but I don't think they're going to be overly cautious with his arm.
    Hope you are right, sir. Hope you are right.
    Lighten up Francis....

  7. #46
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,368
    Like
    413
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I disagree. There are plenty of roster-clutterers at this point, and a trade, 60-day DL or DFA can be accommodated in an instant. And who would the 4 guys ahead of him be? May, Johnson and Darnell, plus Deduno would be my assumption. The Twins have been all over the likelihood of Meyer's good chances for joining the big club since ST, and the reporters are repeating this message ever since- he's clearly a better option than any of the other 4. The Twins are making a concerted effort in putting a competitive team on the field, finally! It's a new day in Twins Territory. Once Meyer passes the arb date, it's only a matter of time that Meyer is called up, either as a starter or in the pen.
    Well, we will have to agree to disagree then. I don't see Meyer getting called up without the other 4 getting a shot first, for 40 man reasons. Add to it that Darnell and Johnson are both out performing Meyer in AAA right now too.

  8. #47
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Well, we will have to agree to disagree then. I don't see Meyer getting called up without the other 4 getting a shot first, for 40 man reasons. Add to it that Darnell and Johnson are both out performing Meyer in AAA right now too.
    This scenario contradicts what team spokespeople have been saying and what the media talking heads have parroted ever since. Until Terry Ryan comes out with his "(in)famous" need for "consistency" quote, I'm going to operate on the assumption that Brooks Raley, Kenny What's-his-AA-Name have "expendable" practically written into their contracts, plus they can 60-day, trade or DFA someone. Darnell and May clearly aren't ready, they appear to have lost all faith with Deduno as a starter (never even considered the possibility in ST), and while Johnson would be the logical call-up in an emergency double-header scenario, I think that once they have established that someone is coming out of the rotation, Meyer is going to get his shot.

  9. #48
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,124
    Like
    100
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Hope you are right, sir. Hope you are right.
    Meyer pitched 129 innings in 2012 and 104 in 2013 between the minors and fall league. 150+ innings does not seem out of the question. He only has 20 IP so far. If he has another 8 starts before the June deadline at 6 IP a start, he has 82 innings before he reaches 150.

  10. #49
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    743
    Like
    28
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Right now it is more important for the Twins to have more options as more things can go wrong over the remaining 140 games. When there are only 70 or 80 games it will likely be ok to loose an option so to speak. We can trade Corriea and let Meyer come up. We will still have options available and the probability of needing all of them will be reduced by the fewer number of games remaining on the schedule.

  11. #50
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I think it is more important to have the best players up. Every bad start makes the value of a future good start much lower.
    Lighten up Francis....

  12. #51
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Posts
    566
    Like
    58
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    This was an interesting tidbit on MLB Trade Rumors :

    The Twins were called this weekend about the prospects of signing right-hander Scott Baker, but have no interest, tweets Darren Wolfson of 1500ESPN.com. Baker is currently pitching for the Rangers‘ Triple-A affiliate (2.77 ERA, 7.3 K/9, and 2.1 BB/9 in 26 innings covering four starts), but has a May 1st opt-out date.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...#disqus_thread


    They shouldn't have interest, should they? Baker would be an upgrade over _____ ? Would you rather have Baker or Pelfrey at this point? Probably just shuffling deck chairs to take on another contract for a 30+ year old starter.

  13. #52
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think it is more important to have the best players up. Every bad start makes the value of a future good start much lower.
    This. Meyer will not reach arbitration years without a long-term deal. I can understand waiting 'till June for a guy like Santana, who has about a 60% chance of being the long-term answer at short. Meyer has a 99% chance of being a long-term answer in the starting rotation. The 1% is injury-related. He has more ability than any pitcher I've ever seen in the Twins system, including Santana and Liriano.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  14. #53
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think it is more important to have the best players up. Every bad start makes the value of a future good start much lower.
    Other than obtaining the extra year of control, I hope and sense that the Twins are currently operating under this presumption. The management vibe seems much more results-oriented-now than it has been in a long, long time.

  15. #54
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I agree, it appears that way, jokin. We'll see in a few weeks (assuming Pelfrey continues to bad) if that is true or not. We'll also see early next year with how they treat Buxton and Sano.
    Lighten up Francis....

  16. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (04-28-2014)

  17. #55
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    This. Meyer will not reach arbitration years without a long-term deal. I can understand waiting 'till June for a guy like Santana, who has about a 60% chance of being the long-term answer at short. Meyer has a 99% chance of being a long-term answer in the starting rotation. The 1% is injury-related. He has more ability than any pitcher I've ever seen in the Twins system, including Santana and Liriano.
    agent: Scott Boras


    It's unlikely that Meyer has a contract before he reaches arbitration but the important deadline (opening day) has passed. I have always contended that too much focus has been on the Super 2 deadline and not giving the player an extra year of arb. Teams certainly do it but that's just being cheap and taking advantage of the system. If a player is playing like an all star then pay them 5M in arb. The important thing is that his FA has been delayed by a year by not being on the opening day roster. I will trade 5+ starts this season for 30+ as a potential star in 6 years.

  18. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    nicksaviking (04-28-2014)

  19. #56
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    agent: Scott Boras


    It's unlikely that Meyer has a contract before he reaches arbitration but the important deadline (opening day) has passed. I have always contended that too much focus has been on the Super 2 deadline and not giving the player an extra year of arb. Teams certainly do it but that's just being cheap and taking advantage of the system. If a player is playing like an all star then pay them 5M in arb. The important thing is that his FA has been delayed by a year by not being on the opening day roster. I will trade 5+ starts this season for 30+ as a potential star in 6 years.
    Yep. I couldn't care less about Super 2 status. That's just being cheap. But that extra year of control? That's worth delaying a player's call-up.

  20. #57
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Like when the Angels delayed Trouts, and missed the playoffs? And then signed him to an extension anyway?
    Lighten up Francis....

  21. #58
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Like when the Angels delayed Trouts, and missed the playoffs? And then signed him to an extension anyway?
    Mike Trout is not represented by Scott Boras.

    I'll trade part of a season from a 24 year old Alex Meyer for the entirety of his age 30 season.

  22. #59
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,124
    Like
    100
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    He has more ability than any pitcher I've ever seen in the Twins system, including Santana and Liriano.
    Clearly the best to come up since 2006. Liriano was amazing though, pre-TJ. 121 IP, 2.16 ERA, 144 K. That slider was unhittable. Meyer has a good slider too, but I can't imagine it was that good. Hopefully it means Meyer won't need Tommy John.

  23. #60
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,293
    Like
    32
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Like when the Angels delayed Trouts, and missed the playoffs? And then signed him to an extension anyway?
    If Meyer was as ready as Trout and would have even close to the same impact then he should be up. If the Twins were acting like a legitimate contender this offseason then they should have signed Ervin Santana and Drew which would likely have had a bigger impact than an extra 5 starts from Meyer.

    An extra 5 starts from a rookie pitcher are not going to be the difference maker. There's no guarantee that he doesn't get lit up since he hasn't even been that sharp in AAA so far. The frustrating part is that he's likely to spend more than half a season in AAA as the Twins throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.