Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roster Moves?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Nuñez for Florimon with Escobar becoming the principle shortstop is the move that would have been made already if Nuñez had not injured himself.
    I wish and it is logical and makes sense, but if Gardenhire wanted to play Escobar instead of Florimon at SS he could have done it beginning a week ago. Still needs to be done. Florimon makes Butera look like Babe Ruth.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Next roster moves....
    1. Deduno to rotation with Pelfry going to pen or DL(if injured)
    2. Burton to DL (if injured) and Guerrier recalled
    3. Stephen Drew signed (if the Twins are winning they will have to consider this) if not then just send down Florimon and bring up Nunez or Bernier
    4. Willingham comes off the DL with Hermann demoted to AAA
    5. Arcia comes off the DL and is optioned to AAA
    6. Corriea will eventually come off the roster for Meyer to come up but not yet.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    This is markedly not true. How soon we forget, even the Twins have gone down this road before
    How soon we forget, Kyle Gibson debuted just last year, at home? He pitched on a Saturday.

The prior home Saturday: 35,017 (Deduno)

Gibson's debut: 36,881

Next home Saturday: 38,626 (Correia)

Also, teams are smarter now than 30+ years ago.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correia fits the pen better than Pelfrey. He holds on runners well. He has a history of arm health and can probably go on consecutive days if needed. He has done the role before. His performance doesn't drop when runners are on base.

Pelfrey doesn't fit any of those. He would need to come in to start an inning as his performance drops with runners on base. His arm may not bounce back as well.

Deduno as a starter over Correia is the move. Deduno is groundball pitcher. The poor defense in the OF will be less of a factor. Start him and keep Florimon at SS in his starts.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    How soon we forget, Kyle Gibson debuted just last year, at home? He pitched on a Saturday.

The prior home Saturday: 35,017 (Deduno)

Gibson's debut: 36,881

Next home Saturday: 38,626 (Correia)

Also, teams are smarter now than 30+ years ago.
    I haven't forgotten about Gibson, at all. He came in post TJ as pretty much a forgotten man to the average fan, with very little ballyhoo attached. Plus, the Twins were still drawing in summer games based on the ballpark alone. As we've seen this year, the novelty of the park has worn off to the point that the crowds in April resemble many Metrodome and Met actual attendance figure (not tickets sold). Meyer, Buxton and Sano will all have a positive effect on attendance initially- simply based on the fact that there are now around a potential 50% worth of walk-up sales- the numbers you cited from last season were based on almost all of those tickets having been sold during the 2012-13 offseason when it made absolutely no difference to the ticket buyer who was playing.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-26-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Next roster moves....
    3. Stephen Drew signed (if the Twins are winning they will have to consider this) if not then just send down Florimon and bring up Nunez or Bernier
    6. Corriea will eventually come off the roster for Meyer to come up but not yet.
    The Twins are not signing Drew, and Bernier is not on the roster. Unless Nunez's arm falls off, he will be getting the call as soon as he's healthy.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Correia's starting days are numbered. He has a lot of bullpen experience and that ERA of almost 8 is completely unacceptable.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the team make a move if his next start is a bad one.

But I have no idea who replaces him at this point. Lots of options, limited roster space.

Senior Member Triple-A
    There is no evidence that Meyer is sufficiently hyped/well known to make a difference. This has been looked at various times and most top prospects have no impact on attendance.

Buxton and Sano are on an entirely different level than Meyer hype-wise, and I think would result in initial bumps, albeit with relatively rapid tapering.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Next roster moves....
    I'm hoping that 6 isn't true. If the Twins are really committed to winning this year as they've been indicating, it would be foolish to hold Meyer back until say, July- and that's probably what it's going to take for Correia to build up any value in trade.

Okay. Guys. I'm back.

We have 3 guys who are somewhat spendy and terrible right now:
    Burton, Pelfrey, Correia

We have 2 guys who are optionable and perhaps have a future place on the team, but have been bad:
    Hicks, Florimon

Now which one of them projects to fit into our future? Only one. Twins need to do what they are doing with Hicks right now in the majors, not AAA.

They need to send down Florimon yesterday and they need to cut bait with one of those 3 pitchers for Arcia when DL is over. We can't afford to keep three pitchers we messed up on, when there are better options. I'd be okay with cutting Burton and giving Correia and Pelfrey chances.

Anyone have the date we cut Marquis on a couple years ago? I'm pretty sure we won't be afraid to cut Burton or Correia, probably not Pelfrey though.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    There is no evidence that Meyer is sufficiently hyped/well known to make a difference. This has been looked at various times and most top prospects have no impact on attendance.

Buxton and Sano are on an entirely different level than Meyer hype-wise, and I think would result in initial bumps, albeit with relatively rapid tapering.
    Yes, Buxton and Sano are on an entirely different level hype-wise. Did anyone say different? I know I didn't. But when you have a bad starting corps and a 6'9" MLB Top 30 guy that can bring it at 99MPH and who likely will be tearing it up in Rochester and getting more Will Middlebrooks-quote type of hype, he's going to sell extra tickets if the consumer has the choice of attending a game with either Pelfrey, Correia or Meyer as the pitching options- I know I'm going if I am available to do so.

Oh, another piece of evidence why this supposition is correct from more recent times. Steven Strasburg drew nearly 41000 on a Tuesday night for his major league debut. The game before on Sunday afternoon, the Nats drew 27,200. The Wednesday evening following, the Nats drew 18,800.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-26-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Okay. Guys. I'm back.

We have 3 guys who are somewhat spendy and terrible right now:
    Burton, Pelfrey, Correia

We have 2 guys who are optionable and perhaps have a future place on the team, but have been bad:
    Hicks, Florimon

Now which one of them projects to fit into our future? Only one. Twins need to do what they are doing with Hicks right now in the majors, not AAA.

They need to send down Florimon yesterday and they need to cut bait with one of those 3 pitchers for Arcia when DL is over. We can't afford to keep three pitchers we messed up on, when there are better options. I'd be okay with cutting Burton and giving Correia and Pelfrey chances.

Anyone have the date we cut Marquis on a couple years ago? I'm pretty sure we won't be afraid to cut Burton or Correia, probably not Pelfrey though.
    The Twins stuck with Marquis until May 28. I don't think they will wait this long to make a move or moves this time around.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Florimon is optioned, where does he play? Santana needs reps at AAA.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Florimon is optioned, where does he play?
    St Paul, for all I care.

15. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (04-26-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    If Florimon is optioned, where does he play? Santana needs reps at AAA.
    Mejia just got demoted in favor of Pettersen. I don't think Florimon would have any trouble beating him out for time at SS in New Britain.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Oh, another piece of evidence why this supposition is correct from more recent times. Steven Strasburg drew nearly 41000 on a Tuesday night for his major league debut. The game before on Sunday afternoon, the Nats drew 27,200. The Wednesday evening following, the Nats drew 18,800.
    Come on. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of hype. I live in the DC area - people who don't follow baseball at all knew about Strasburg before he debuted. He was more well known than almost the entire existing Nats team. Guys like him are obvious exceptions and Meyer has not gotten anything remotely like that level of attention.

Posters here are not representative of the average fan.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see Meyer pitch deep into a couple more games before he gets promoted. IIRC, his last start was the first time where he even finished the 6th inning.

19. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (04-26-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Come on. There is absolutely no comparison in terms of hype. I live in the DC area - people who don't follow baseball at all knew about Strasburg before he debuted. He was more well known than almost the entire existing Nats team. Guys like him are obvious exceptions and Meyer has not gotten anything remotely like that level of attention.

Posters here are not representative of the average fan.
    Again, I never said that Meyer has the same hype as Strasburg. But you said that no players ever make a difference in attendance- no exceptions, not me. While I sincerely doubt that Meyer is capable of a Strasburg-like sellout, there are more than enough fans familiar with the trade for Span and the constant marketing that Meyer has received on FSN and through the local media that they are aware that they potentially have something special in Meyer.

Going from what appears to be the "new normal" range in attendance of 20,000-30,000 to say, 25,000-35,000, around a 20-25% increase, is entirely plausible. Are you saying that there aren't 5000-6000 willing ticket buyers curious enough, and familiar enough with Meyer's history, to see what we've got in our new potential Ace?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see Meyer pitch deep into a couple more games before he gets promoted. IIRC, his last start was the first time where he even finished the 6th inning.
    And all based on early season, arm-protecting stretching out. I like that Gardy was backing his play in Spring Training. If there isn't an obvious spot open yet, why not put him in the pen to get his feet wet?

22. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (04-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Again, I never said that Meyer has the same hype as Strasburg. But you said that no players ever make a difference in attendance- no exceptions, not me.
    My exact quote (bold added):

"This has been looked at various times and most top prospects have no impact on attendance."

Another quote from this page:

"Buxton and Sano are on an entirely different level than Meyer hype-wise, and I think would result in initial bumps, albeit with relatively rapid tapering."

Please do not bother responding to my posts if you aren't even reading them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast