Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardenhire to miss Mariners series

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gardenhire to miss Mariners series

According to Joe Christensen, Twins manager Ron Gardenhire will not be with the team this weekend in Seattle. He will be attending his daughter's college graduation. Congratulations to his daughter, Tara, and the family. I certainly hope that he's able to put the Angels' series out of his mind and enjoy the time with his family. Scott Ullger will manage the team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder how much input Gardy has while he is away. Will he just let Scotty do what ever he wants?

Gardy mad.

What happens if the Twins players suddenly play very relaxed and win a couple games in Seattle? What if there is a noticeable difference in the way they play? At that point, I think it would be fair to start pointing fingers at Gardenhire. But that probably isn't going to happen.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    If I was managing the team I would want to miss the Seattle series too. It must be tough to watch this team underachieve.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshii View Post
    Gardy mad.
    lol Hulk Smash? Made me think of that.

Anyways I hope Gardy enjoys his weekend off and comes back next week ready to bust some balls.
    I bent my wookie...

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    I'm sure he can use a break but I wouldn't read anything into this. As I recall, he has missed games and series before for high school graduations, etc.

Congrats to his daughter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins go on a 3 game winning streak maybe Gardy won't have a job when he comes back.
    Billy Martin got fired many times for alot less than that!

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardenhire's daughter is graduating from Southwest Minnesota State University at Marshall, MN. Commencement is at 10 AM Saturday and would probably last a couple of hours.

Delta has a red eye leaving at 12:40 AM on Saturday morning from Seattle arriving in Minneapolis at 5:45 AM (DL 1014), plenty of time to make it to Marshall by 10 AM. Also is has a 2:30 PM direct flight from Minneapolis to Seattle arriving there at 3:55 PM (DL 2237), in plenty of time to make the game on Saturday (5:10 PM local start).

As I showed above , there is a way to make it to the graduation and do his job. Nice for Gardy to have a 3 day vacation while his team is struggling. Especially when the team is doing so badly. I hope that the Twins make his vacation permanent. He shows where his priorities are...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by glanzer View Post
    What happens if the Twins players suddenly play very relaxed and win a couple games in Seattle? What if there is a noticeable difference in the way they play? At that point, I think it would be fair to start pointing fingers at Gardenhire. But that probably isn't going to happen.
    If Scotty Ulger is as good of a manager as he was a 3rd base coach, I don't think Gardy has to worry much about a coup. They should have WPA as a statistic for 3rd base coaches, he probably cost us several runs that season, while he wasn't busy impersonating runners on third that he erroneously sent home...

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    . I hope that the Twins make his vacation permanent. He shows where his priorities are...
    Exactly where they should be, with his family, just like anyone else with half a brain and an ounce of personal integrity.

Gardenhire's daughter is graduating from Southwest Minnesota State University at Marshall, MN. Commencement is at 10 AM Saturday and would probably last a couple of hours.

Delta has a red eye leaving at 12:40 AM on Saturday morning from Seattle arriving in Minneapolis at 5:45 AM (DL 1014), plenty of time to make it to Marshall by 10 AM. Also is has a 2:30 PM direct flight from Minneapolis to Seattle arriving there at 3:55 PM (DL 2237), in plenty of time to make the game on Saturday (5:10 PM local start).

As I showed above , there is a way to make it to the graduation and do his job. Nice for Gardy to have a 3 day vacation while his team is struggling. Especially when the team is doing so badly. I hope that the Twins make his vacation permanent. He shows where his priorities are...
    While I feel a bit "dirty" ripping Gardy for a personal situation like this (and we may not know all the details), I kind of agree with you. One games, or perhaps two (given that it is on the West Coast) is understandable for what is a big event Gardy should definitely not miss.

But a whole road series? Willingham took a pre-arranged paternity leave for the birth of his daughter, which is arguably even a bigger life event, and he'll miss roughly the same amount of time Gardy will. There are also rules specifically put into place by MLB and the players union to allow Willingham to do that. Plus, it's not like Gardy has to take pre-game warmups or even really do anything at the game. If he can arrive at the park on time, he could literally sit there comatose and make a few pitching changes after we get down 6-0 or so.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just wish it were a permanent vacation..This guy has set the Twins organization back ten years easily. He has had more talent as manager than TK could of dreamed of. Everyone used to say "He does more with less" better than anybody. The only problem is nobody says that anymore. He has lost this team and they have quit on him...No way he survives this avalanche. Tick Tock Gardy!!! Paging Terry Francona please..He brought back respectability to Red Sox Nation and broke the curse.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    ..This guy has set the Twins organization back ten years easily.
    Yay! I can't wait to see how they manage to win the division this year! That's gonna be quite a comeback from this poor start.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yup those 6 division titles mean so much to everybody. What is his playoff record again? What is his record vs Yankees again? What is his record vs AL East again? 12 straight playoff losses in a row and 1 more would set a MLB record. Not to mention players like Kyle Loshe, Phil Humber, David Ortiz, JJ Hardy, Casey Blake, and all the other players who have excelled since leaving the Twins..We need sweeping change.

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read on this site. Priorities are with his family, we get for the 100th time you want him gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    Yup those 6 division titles mean so much to everybody. What is his playoff record again? What is his record vs Yankees again? What is his record vs AL East again? 12 straight playoff losses in a row and 1 more would set a MLB record. Not to mention players like Kyle Loshe, Phil Humber, David Ortiz, JJ Hardy, Casey Blake, and all the other players who have excelled since leaving the Twins..We need sweeping change.
    I personally don't care if the Twins keep or fire him, That said, his teams were underdogs in every series for a reason.

Ortiz and Hardy were hurt most of the time they were here. No one wanted Ortiz when the Twins dumped him. What exactly have Lohse, Blake, and Humber done to say they've excelled? Humber was being skipped in the rotation before his day in the sun.

I see a whole lot of revisionist history here.

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully this break gives Gardenhire a chance to take a step back and reevaluate the team and the season to this point. I agree that his priorities are right where they should be. College graduations are a big deal and if he were to just swoop in for the ceremony and then take off right after, that would send a pretty bad message to his daughter. At this point, Gardy can probably accomplish more by spending time away from the team, recharging himself, and analyzing future plans than rushing back to manage a crappy baseball team. What difference would him being there right now make anyway? The decisions that managers make during the game don't really make much of a difference unless you actually have a team that can compete. I am pretty sure that Ullger can handle walking out to take the ball from the pitcher in the 3rd or 4th inning with the team already down at least five runs.
    TwinsGuy55422
    "And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read on this site. Priorities are with his family, we get for the 100th time you want him gone.
    Did you break the '0' key on your keyboard and couldn't add the proper amount of them?

We should all show up to his daughter's graduation and be like, "WTF GARDY, DO YOUR ****ING JOB!"

Graduations mean nothing if the team you are managing is doing poorly imo.

I do agree with you in that the last thing Gardy needs is a break, he should be working harder!ept_sports_mlb_experts-342771453-1297718733.jpg
    Last edited by Yoshii; 05-03-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast