Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: The Twins are Winning by Walking

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I guess I'd choose to not give the wins back, even when they derive from that inferior base on balls.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 850 Times in 546 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    I guess I'd choose to not give the wins back, even when they derive from that inferior base on balls.
    And even when the typical 8-walk victory is resulting in the latest phenomenon- the 9-inning, 4-hour-long game. The games are morphing into cricket matches, but yes, I'll take it.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And even when the typical 8-walk victory is resulting in the latest phenomenon- the 9-inning, 4-hour-long game. The games are morphing into cricket matches, but yes, I'll take it.
    We've seen two of these in two weeks.. hard to figure.. but this patience at the plate looks like part of the plan, and not really a fluke. I'm tempted to say the Twins should be 10-13 instead of 12-11 but like you, I'll take it

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger8791 View Post
    Walking on sunshine
    And don't it feel good?

Sent the email below to [email protected] at 9:30 am on Friday, about 5 hours before the article was posted:

--------------

Hi Nick, big fan of your blog. Nice to see some clear-eyed analysis of the Twins that digs a bit deeper into the reasons for their success and failure. I'm writing because I'd like to get your opinion on what's happening with the number of walks this year. They're scoring runs at a phenomenal rate and it appears to be due to their AL leading OBP (~0.350). If you look at their batting average (~0.250) and number of walks thus far (111!), it's pretty clear they're doing well because of improved plate discipline and free passes. I've been following the Twins a long time and this is not the swing first ask questions later team that I'm used to seeing. 5+ walks per game? A quick look at the past three years:

OBP walks per game

2013 0.312 3.2
    2012 0.325 3.1
    2011 0.306. 2.7

Why the dramatic shift in approach? Is this due to coaching or did the players agree amongst themselves to grind out every at bat to get on base? It looks like a coherent philosophy up and down the order. Given the (still) terrible staring pitching, it's seems like the walks are the one of the main factors contributing to their success. Would be curious to hear your thoughts.

----------------

does anyone know if I sent it to the right email address?
    Last edited by zzlund; 04-27-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That should be Nick's address, yes. He probably hasn't had time to read his email and/or respond. It's best to engage him via Twitter, I think. You're most likely to get a response through that channel.

https://twitter.com/nnelson9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12