Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Things You Need To Know About Joe Mauer

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I must say....I am quite concerned about Mauer's power. Espicially when you hit the pitcher in the junk...he just smiles andstrikes out the next batter.

3. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (04-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not worried, Joe will turn in his usual hitting year and should play in many more games.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    In regards to the comparison to 2013 I would point out the following:

- In 2013 Joe was catching so a .743 OPS was still good, even top 10.
    - In 2014 Joe is playing first so an even lower OPS of .676 is awful, 25th out of 28.

Joe absolutely deserves a ton of time to turn this around because he has proven that he is a better player than this but I am mildly concerned by the poor start and this out of character K%.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He just needs to break out his good old "Quick Swing" for a few weeks to get the mojo back, then he'll be fine...

I find the K-rate to be extremely disconcerting, however.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Great write-up, Parker.
    Given where I am, I've only been able to actually watch a couple of games.
    What I've seen so far jibes with what you describe (thanks for the heat maps, btw.)

Pure speculation: could it be that he's trying to change his approach at the plate to become more of a classic 1B power hitter? Swing rate might offer a clue there.
    If change in approach is not the answer, then maybe injury, or- gasp- age might be factoring in...?

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this where we direct all of our BOO MAUER comments?

Kidding. Parker, once again great work looking beyond just the numbers and finding something deeper.

BOO MAUER!

Mauer is going to Mauer. Even with an increase in his K rate, he's still going to be a valuable member of this team. He's going to lose some "WAR value" from moving out behind the plate, but him being on base for the heart of the lineup to bring home is what he does. Joe Mauer singles and doubles, I'll take them all day, everyday.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    Is this where we direct all of our BOO MAUER comments?

Kidding. Parker, once again great work looking beyond just the numbers and finding something deeper.

BOO MAUER!

Mauer is going to Mauer. Even with an increase in his K rate, he's still going to be a valuable member of this team. He's going to lose some "WAR value" from moving out behind the plate, but him being on base for the heart of the lineup to bring home is what he does. Joe Mauer singles and doubles, I'll take them all day, everyday.

2-3 days after all this something is wrong talk, his OBP is up to .365 and climbing.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2-3 days after all this something is wrong talk, his OBP is up to .365 and climbing.
    Sure, but his slugging is down to .317 and sinking fast.

Look, no is questioning Mauer's ability to manage the strike zone and avoid outs (or they shouldn't be, at least) -- it's the ball off of his bat that is raising questions and eyebrows.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, Mauer was NOT mentioned in a Fangraphs post today about hitters to stary worrying about:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/some-...orrying-about/

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    In regards to the comparison to 2013 I would point out the following:

- In 2013 Joe was catching so a .743 OPS was still good, even top 10.
    - In 2014 Joe is playing first so an even lower OPS of .676 is awful, 25th out of 28.

Joe absolutely deserves a ton of time to turn this around because he has proven that he is a better player than this but I am mildly concerned by the poor start and this out of character K%.
    Agree...

And just some food for thought, for those jumping on Mauer...Miguel Cabrera is almost identical to Mauer.

Cabrera is #21, Mauer is #22.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...rs=0&sort=22,d