Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you measure success?

How do you measure success?

It's a question I'm not sure how to answer. Do you base it on postseason success? In that case, the last 20 years under Ryan have been an abject failure.

Do you base it on combined regular season and postseason success? In that case Ryan gets a "C". Maybe even a "D" if you take into consideration Smith was his handpicked successor.

On a 1-10 scale where would Ryan's 20 years rank?

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    One investor at a time.
    Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand. - N. Armstrong

3. These 10 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-25-2014), Brad Swanson (04-25-2014), Brock Beauchamp (04-25-2014), mike wants wins (04-25-2014), Riverbrian (04-25-2014), Sconnie (04-25-2014), snepp (04-25-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (04-25-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-25-2014), USAFChief (04-25-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    One investor at a time.
    It's a shame I can only like this once.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's a shame I can only like this once.
    Hey ... you're the pixel monkey mvp ... couldn't you do something about that?

6. These 6 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (04-25-2014), glunn (04-25-2014), Oldgoat_MN (04-26-2014), Riverbrian (04-25-2014), snepp (04-25-2014), USAFChief (04-25-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After having GMed for dozens of seasons1, I can state with confidence that I would have done much better with this team than Terry Ryan has. When, for instance, is the last time he fleeced another GM by trading 5 marginal prospects for someone's number one draft pick?

1 Out of the Park Baseball, I have a 2014 season underway now

8. These 4 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (04-25-2014), snepp (04-25-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (04-25-2014), Tibs (04-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    Well everyone likes to jump on Bill Smith much of which he deserves. However, his record is actually better than Ryan's at 51% wins against Ryan at 48%. No doubt Smith made some bad deals and we will never know who gave him the scouting advice to make the deals because he had to rely on others for that because he had no scouting or player eval background. How could anyone see that as a problem?
    The Twins minor league system actually improved it's ranking under Smith likely because he was willing to spend some money. Does anyone think Ryan would have spent the money to sign Sano, Kepler and a few others?
    The point of playing major league baseball is one of 2: Trying to win a world series or making money.
    Looking back I'd say Smith was over his head but was trying to win a world series and willing to spend the bosses money to do so. Ryan, I think, is willing to do what stays in or under budget. Whatever you get with that is ok.
    I'd likely give them both a D.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

10. These 2 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-25-2014), notoriousgod71 (04-25-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there are a few criterion here.

1) What did he do with what he had to work with (i.e. budget constraints, bad contracts, etc.)?
    2) Post season appearances where it was expected.
    3) Post season appearances where it wasn't expected.
    4) Post season results
    5) Farm system quality year over year.
    6) Regular season results when not in the post season.
    7) Knowing when to rebuild and when to go for it.

And this is just to start. I'd say there's a bunch more which makes this question pretty complicated.

Ryan ran a pretty good ship during the 2000s timeframe, though he punted on a couple of tough decisions, and I think that was a pretty big mistake. I dont' think it's fair to credit him for the successes or failures of Bill Smith.

As for the overall grade, I don't really think you can grade him until his body of work is complete. I can say this. If Ryan was fired today, there would be a number of teams quite willing to hire him. That, to me, says that he's doing a pretty decent job.

12. These 4 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (04-25-2014), chuchadoro (04-26-2014), Riverbrian (04-25-2014), Tibs (04-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Well everyone likes to jump on Bill Smith much of which he deserves. However, his record is actually better than Ryan's at 51% wins against Ryan at 48%. No doubt Smith made some bad deals and we will never know who gave him the scouting advice to make the deals because he had to rely on others for that because he had no scouting or player eval background. How could anyone see that as a problem?
    The Twins minor league system actually improved it's ranking under Smith likely because he was willing to spend some money. Does anyone think Ryan would have spent the money to sign Sano, Kepler and a few others?
    The point of playing major league baseball is one of 2: Trying to win a world series or making money.
    Looking back I'd say Smith was over his head but was trying to win a world series and willing to spend the bosses money to do so. Ryan, I think, is willing to do what stays in or under budget. Whatever you get with that is ok.
    I agree with Die Hard, Smith inherited a good team and had 100+ million dollar payrolls. I think Smith didn't understand you can't have enough pitching (Garza trade). His moves in general were bad to good about 3 to 1.

A few things here. Over a 20 year span in one of the smallest markets in baseball, especially with the rough years tending to be realllly rough, a 48% winning percentage is pretty damn good. Bill Smith inherited a very good team and did damage that we're still cleaning up. A slightly higher winning % over less than a quarter of the total time, all while starting with a better team, more resources, and a brand new stadium isn't all that significant, and it damn sure isn't impressive. Doesn't make him a bad guy, as I do agree that he was earnestly in it to win it. However, he was in it to win it this year every year, which leads to over-selling organizational capital that has been built up over many years for a *maybe* slightly better shot this year. I would argue that Ryan's approach is much better for long term health of an organization.
    You also mention Sano, Kepler, etc. What have they done in the majors? It's great to spend money on prospects and have a well regarded farm system, but it doesn't mean squat until they produce at the major league level.
    I know it's been tough being a Twins fan the last few years, but the level of pessimism and whining by Twins fans has just gotten ridiculous. OMG THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE BEEN BAD ALL FRONT OFFICE ALL ORGANIZATION BAD BAD BAD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I think Smith didn't understand you can't have enough pitching (Garza trade).
    At the time I was in favor of trading from strength. What I didn't agree with was trading away whichever pitcher would bring you the most in return. Instead, pick the one or two who you feel fit the least best with your needs, and negotiate over them for whatever you can get - if the return is sufficient then pull the trigger on the deal, otherwise stand pat. Garza seemed at the time like the surest bet to contribute, and thus was exactly the wrong one to deal, and the Rays jumped on it. So, bad trade, with full credit to Smith, but not because the idea was wrongheaded from the outset.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Success is such a relative term. First you must define success, only then can you rate it.

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    much of which he deserves. However, his record is actually better than Ryan's at 51% wins against Ryan at 48%. No doubt Smith made some bad deals and we will never know who gave him the scouting advice to make the deals because he had to rely on others for that because he had no scouting or player eval background. How could anyone see that as a problem?
    Looking back I'd say Smith was over his head but was trying to win a world series and willing to spend the bosses
    money to do so. Ryan, I think, is willing to do what stays in or under budget. Whatever you get with that is ok.
    Excellent take. For all his deficiencies, Smith wanted to win, and there was plenty of money to go around. Ryan's main objective is to maximize profit for his boss. I have alot more respect for Smith. I firmly believe his desire to spend is what got him fired.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    Like we did with Lirano or Go Go Gomez or Hardy or Cuddy or Ramos or Hunter, etc.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    I respectfully disagree that he was fired because he wanted to spend more money. Mr. Smith, though a nice man, made some incredibly bad trades.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    Yes, Terry Ryan has no interest in winning, completely logical.

axe grind.jpg

21. These 2 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (04-25-2014), snepp (04-25-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Ryan's main objective is to maximize profit for his boss.
    Any employee who forgets this probably won't have his or her job title for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Any
    employee who forgets this probably won't have his or her job title for very long.
    Completely different situation here. The Pohlad's have made their billions elsewhere. Penny pinching with the baseball team, in spite of publicly funded stadium and insane amounts of revenue, is shameful.

Blog Entries
    It's a question I'm not sure how to answer.
    Penny pinching with the baseball team, in spite of publicly funded stadium and insane amounts of revenue, is shameful.
    Having trouble reconciling these two posts in the space of a few hours. In any case, we're now on old well traveled terrain and I'm done with this topic.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I dont know about anyone else but I measure mine from the taint to the tip

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Yes,
    Terry Ryan has no interest in winning, completely logical.

axe grind.jpg
    Maximizing profits is #1 priority. Winning is secondary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast