Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/24): Polanco's Big Day

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/24): Polanco's Big Day

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Polanco continues to look good with his bat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Twins signed this guy wasn't he supposed to be known for his defense? Seems like he kinda flip flopped.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    Polanco continues to look good with his bat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Twins signed this guy wasn't he supposed to be known for his defense? Seems like he kinda flip flopped.
    Correct. He was known for his defense. He was very thin and grew quite a bit. He's definitely become a very good hitter. Also very good 2B defender.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kris Johnson has been good so far. He is on the 40 man isn't he?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Eric - nice write up- thanks

Looks like it may get interesting with the major league starters struggling and a number of the pitching prospects looking like they are close to being ready. May - Meyer now Johnson

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How is that certain players can be good second basemen but struggle at short? Like Polanco and Dozier?

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Yup. He's looked pretty decent so far this year, and with the Twins going without a left-handed starter, he could easily be the next man up (though that entire Rochester rotation has had a pretty strong week).

8. This user likes Eric R Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (04-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    How is that certain players can be good second basemen but struggle at short? Like Polanco and Dozier?
    Some of it is the physicality - the throws are longer, you make more plays, more frequently. If you don't have great arm strength, you're going to be trying to put something extra on a lot of throws, leading to a lot more throwing errors, or you'll be rushing to get throws off without proper form.

Some of it is mental - you're seen as the captain of the infield, you feel the added pressure of those extra plays and longer throws. And suddenly you're Chuck Knoblauch and you can't throw the ball anywhere.

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Eric. It would be interesting to know how many of Polanco's errors at SS this year are on balls hit to his right. As a kid, I was an infielder without the necessary arm to be a really good SS and I handled everyhing to my left fine, but balls to my right made me hurry and that meant not only bad throws, but bringing my glove up too soon and botched transfers. I see the same thing now in some minor league SS with questionable arms.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    He is on the 40 man roster, and he did lead the International League in ERA last year. Reports I got on him said he wasn't just a typical soft-tossing lefty (a term I hate, by the way). He hits 92-93 with the fastball and had good control and secondary pitches. That was definitely a nice move, getting him instead of Welker!

12. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (04-25-2014)

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He is on the 40 man roster, and he did lead the International League in ERA last year. Reports I got on him said he wasn't just a typical soft-tossing lefty (a term I hate, by the way). He hits 92-93 with the fastball and had good control and secondary pitches. That was definitely a nice move, getting him instead of Welker!
    I don't want to get in another debate in this thread, but we really do have some interesting pitching options this year. Starting rotation and bullpen
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric R Pleiss View Post
    And suddenly you're Chuck Knoblauch and you can't throw the ball anywhere.
    Too bad nobody had the foresight to save Knobby's career by moving him to second base.

15. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    I'm wondering why Lester oliveros is pitching in AA.
    He may very well be ready for the Majors.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    I'm wondering why Lester oliveros is pitching in AA.
    He may very well be ready for the Majors.
    Still working back from Tommy John. Missed most of last year (2-3 rehab appearances only). he's just getting innings in a situation he can be successful at. When a spot opens in Rochester, he'll likely get the next one.