Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sam Fuld Aaron Hicks' downfall?

Is Sam Fuld Aaron Hicks' downfall?

Sam Fuld, wearing previous backup CF Alex Presley's #1, had a very successful first game with the Twins at the Trop. He went 2-5 with an RBI and a lead off double in the top of the 9th that really should have come around to score. We know he can play the field better than most on the 25 man and can steal a base or two. With Hicks already out on thin ice after a disastrous 2013 and, excluding taking more walks so far in '14, more of the same this year.

Will Fuld kick Aaron Hicks out of center or possibly out of a major league job completely? I know I am a lot more excited for Fuld's future here than Hicks' as of now. Given, this is literally 5 at bats in for Fuld, and Hicks clearly has more upside. Will the Fuld acquisition lead to a demotion for Hicks?

Eh, I would say they will compliment eachother well while improving OF defense when they are in together.

If I was hicks, I would be more concerned about Fuld taking his job as 4th OF next year when Buxton is manning CF.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The master plan is likely to trade Hicks to a team needing a CF when Buxton is ready to take that job permanently. That plan doesn't work as well if Hicks spends 50% of his coming ABs in AAA instead of in the majors. So I don't see a waiver acquisition who has flunked trials with two previous teams as taking his job away. If Hicks loses the job, it will have nothing to do with Fuld - not being able to lose it for lack of any kind of major league backup for the position is what is a fluky and totally temporary situation. Hicks will go to AAA if and when the front office sees his trade value as so low that going to AAA won't even hurt it.

4. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-24-2014), Oldgoat_MN (04-24-2014), Siehbiscuit (04-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    At this point I think the only player that can play Hicks out of a job is Aaron Hicks.
    All the talk surrounding the waiver claim on Fuld was about him taking Mastro's job, not Hicks'.
    And it's not like the Twins have a lot of depth at AAA ready to be the back-up CF.
    Fuld is going to probably get more at-bats and more innings than Mastro would have, but Hicks is still the guy (for now).

However, if Hicks had a very poor next 5 games, I could see him going down for Willy or Ozzie. Herrman looks competent in RF and can catch, so adds more value to the bench since that allows Gardy to always play Pinto.

Hicks is on a quick trip to nowhere at this point as far as a MLB centerfielder. He has no trade value. His best season was a .280 batting average at New Britain in AA. He plays centerfield like he is bored and can't get around on a fastball when batting from the left side. I don't know if it is an attitude adjustment he needs or he just lacks the skill to play. The Twins have exercised far more patience at this point than needed.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They need two center fielders. They make good platoon partners. Hicks needs days to just work on his swing in extra BP and otherwise watch and learn from the bench. Most young guys do. He hasn't had that all year. Yesterday was his first opportunity to work with Bruno 1X1.

And it's kind of deja vu all over again from last year, when they exacerbated his struggles by forcing him to play everyday without any extra work for the first month+. Last year, they didn't have a choice because Mastro broke his leg in the last game of spring training. This year, they could have easily avoided it if they'd hung onto Presley instead of Bartlett...

At least they righted that wrong by getting Fuld. His presence will help Hicks.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

9. These 5 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (04-24-2014), Joe A. Preusser (04-24-2014), Sconnie (04-24-2014), Siehbiscuit (04-25-2014), zchrz (04-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sam Fuld is not a good offensive player. In no way, shape, or form should any young talented player be threatened by him. It will be nice to have a late-game OF of Fuld-Hicks-Herrmann at times though.

11. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (04-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    They need two center fielders. They make good platoon partners. Hicks needs days to just work on his swing in extra BP and otherwise watch and learn from the bench. Most young guys do. He hasn't had that all year. Yesterday was his first opportunity to work with Bruno 1X1.

And it's kind of deja vu all over again from last year, when they exacerbated his struggles by forcing him to play everyday without any extra work for the first month+. Last year, they didn't have a choice because Mastro broke his leg in the last game of spring training. This year, they could have easily avoided it if they'd hung onto Presley instead of Bartlett...

At least they righted that wrong by getting Fuld. His presence will help Hicks.
    Exactly this.

13. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Trautmann13 (04-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    We've seen this movie before with Go Go and others. Talented young player, can't get him with the program, ship him off for peanuts, player thrives elsewhere. Hicks is 24. We have been patient with Plouffe, who is 27. True, Hicks has looked bored but so has most of the rest of the team until now. BTW in my opinion Plouffe almost always looks bored. Ideally the Twins enter 2015 or 2016 with an outfield of Buxton, Arcia, Hicks.

Hicks needs to go to AAA .... Bring up Ramirez as the 4th OF and emergency CF or look for another Fuld type to get DFA'd ... Not all these guys are going to work out ... Pinto and Cowbell look like ML hitters and Plouffe seems to have turned a corner ... Also time to move Eddie R back to OF when his suspension is over ... Dozier looks locked into 2B and Polanco and to lesser degree Beresford appear to provide some organizational depth there as well ...

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks is responsible for Hicks' downfall. Hicks and Hicks alone. I am surprised that more the "rebuilding/trade at highest value" proponents aren't calling for Colabello to be traded now while at his highest value . I mean, why keep the good players just because they are getting a little old and can be traded for some prospects? Prospects prospects prospects......... get you some prospects. (please take this with a grain of salt. it is not meant to be baiting or trolling)
    Last edited by h2oface; 04-24-2014 at 01:10 PM.

17. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    We've seen this movie before with Go Go and others. Talented young player, can't get him with the program, ship him off for peanuts, player thrives elsewhere. Hicks is 24. We have been patient with Plouffe, who is 27. True, Hicks has looked bored but so has most of the rest of the team until now. BTW in my opinion Plouffe almost always looks bored. Ideally the Twins enter 2015 or 2016 with an outfield of Buxton, Arcia, Hicks.
    Maybe....

I believe that Hicks' ceiling is starting to look like a fair hitting good defense center fielder. Perhaps a 4th OF.

I expect a more likely outfield late next season is Arcia, Buxton and Colabello.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

19. This user likes Oldgoat_MN's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-24-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    Nah, next year's OF is Rosario, Buxton, Arcia imo. Hicks isn't Gomez. He is a switch hitter that can't hit from one side. He isn't being coached to move runners over, and not swing hard. He just isn't a good hitter right now. Could he be? Sure. Will he be? I have strong doubts. I have no doubts about Rosario and Buxton, however (other than the obvious personal ones with Rosario). If Hicks has trade value, great. But to me, the other three I listed are the ones that will matter to this team, both here and as having value.
    Lighten up Francis....

21. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (04-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Did you hear how Gardenhire gushed over the guy?

http://www.twincities.com/News/ci_25...ger-to-get-new

Fuld could be the next Nick Punto.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Did you hear how Gardenhire gushed over the guy?

http://www.twincities.com/News/ci_25...ger-to-get-new

Fuld could be the next Nick Punto.
    Yep.

Why waste time trying to turn Hicks -- or any young guy -- into a good ballplayer, when you can pick up a guy in his 30s who is already a known quantity? Gripe #1 as we advance into the second decade of the Gardenhire administration.

On a serious note, I think Fuld is a good pick up and having both Hicks and Fuld competing could be a good thing.

Blog Entries
    Fuld double, Hicks homer. See? They complement one another.

25. These 5 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (04-24-2014), Oldgoat_MN (04-25-2014), Siehbiscuit (04-25-2014), snepp (04-24-2014), WLFINN (04-24-2014)

Blog Entries
    Dick is reporting that the Twins have claimed Kenny Wilson from teh Blue Jays. I'd rather have Wilson than Mastro at this stage.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    True, Hicks has looked bored but so has most of the rest of the team until now. BTW in my opinion Plouffe almost always looks bored.
    I think it's called "California Casual."

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Dick is reporting that the Twins have claimed Kenny Wilson from teh Blue Jays. I'd rather have Wilson than Mastro at this stage.
    Pretty sure some people called for this in the other thread. Who's going to claim their prize?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Hicks is going anywhere. At least we can get Willingham, Kubel and Colabello out of the game in late inning situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast