Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/23): Pitching Prowess

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe Meyer didn't get pitcher of the day. Holy Smokes! 99mph and 11k's! When do him and Pelfrey trade places?? Nice to Parmelee hitting like he wants the Twins to trade Kubel or Willingham.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pelfrey was unimpressive again today.

And yet, the Twins bats pulled another one out today. Fun to watch.

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also...this GREAT quote from Red Sox's 3B Will Middlebrooks, who was making a rehab start against Rochester tonight...

"I asked a coach, 'Who'd he make mad? Why is he here? Are there five guys better than him in Minnesota," Middlebrooks told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._milb&sid=milb

5. These 2 users like twinsfan34's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (04-24-2014), Oldgoat_MN (04-24-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Also...this GREAT quote from Red Sox's 3B Will Middlebrooks, who was making a rehab start against Rochester tonight...

"I asked a coach, 'Who'd he make mad? Why is he here? Are there five guys better than him in Minnesota
    ," Middlebrooks told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

Excellent find, Twinsfan! What an awesomely great line by Middlebrooks! In addition to his 3 Ks on Middlebrooks, he also struck out just-demoted major leaguer, Ryan Roberts, twice. And the PawSox have other good prospects in their lineup, as well. Sorry, this was not the 3rd best performance in the Twins organization on Wednesday, this was the best, hands down- and we only need take Will Middlebrooks' word for it.

Next up?.....most assuredly will now come "The Great Debate" on Meyer's current lack of, and need for, more "Consistency" before he possibly can be considered for promotion to the Twins. It is ridiculous to hold Meyer back beyond the arb cutoff date.

7. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-24-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If there were 5 pitchers better than Meyer in Minnesota we'd be headed to the world series. What does a team like the twins do when they have a guy, for example like Pelfrey, struggling but has a two year contract? Put him in the pen? Yikes! Send him down and hope no one claims him? Trade him for nothing?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post

"I asked a coach, 'Who'd he make mad? Why is he here? Are there five guys better than him in Minnesota," Middlebrooks told Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal.

He must have forgot we have Pelfrey in our rotation. You know, the guy with the 7.32 ERA who has 3 fewer K's all year than Meyer had last night.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Miami found a way to promote their young, great pitchers, fast. Now, just a couple of years after being ridiculed for trading their vets and reloading, they are playing well. It would be great if the Twins got Meyer up here, and put Pelfrey in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsyam921 View Post
    If there were 5 pitchers better than Meyer in Minnesota we'd be headed to the world series. What does a team like the twins do when they have a guy, for example like Pelfrey, struggling but has a two year contract? Put him in the pen? Yikes! Send him down and hope no one claims him? Trade him for nothing?

Don't we hope someone DOES claim him?

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwb1226 View Post
    Don't we hope someone DOES claim him?
    That would be ideal, but the market for him over two years for $11M will be non existent. They say anytime you sign a Boras client you are the sucker. I have to believe we were bidding against ourselves and we were the only two year deal on the table last offseason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Excellent find, Twinsfan! What an awesomely great line by Middlebrooks! In addition to his 3 Ks on Middlebrooks, he also struck out just-demoted major leaguer, Ryan Roberts, twice. And the PawSox have other good prospects in their lineup, as well. Sorry, this was not the 3rd best performance in the Twins organization on Wednesday, this was the best, hands down- and we only need take Will Middlebrooks' word for it.

Next up?.....most assuredly will now come "The Great Debate" on Meyer's current lack of, and need for, more "Consistency" before he possibly can be considered for promotion to the Twins. It is ridiculous to hold Meyer back beyond the arb cutoff date.
    He has 8 BB in 20 IP, they will cite that until June and bring him up.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is going to be quite exciting once Meyer gets to the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

I guess I'll be the one to urge a little restraint on Meyer. Though my concern has nothing to do with Super 2 or adding him to the 40 man roster.

Meyer was injured the majority of last season. I think he threw like 60 innings at AA. Yes, he sure appears to be 100% healthy, but he's an asset the Twins need to be careful with. I have no problem with him getting a couple months worth of AAA starts. Keep in mind, he couldn't complete the third inning in his start prior to last night's gem. That short, bad start prompted some questions about his health (which were answered in the negative).

So yes, I'm excited by Meyer. Yes, I don't want him to languish in AAA simply because the Twins have Pelf and Correia under contract. But is there anything wrong with wanting to see a few good (not necessarily great like last night) starts in a row before calling him up?
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

16. These 2 users like Twins Fan From Afar's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (04-24-2014), golfboy1 (04-24-2014)

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    They say anytime you sign a Boras client you are the sucker. I have to believe we were bidding against ourselves and we were the only two year deal on the table last offseason.
    If look at who signed 2 year deals -- Arroyo, Colon, Hudson, Kazmir -- and some of who signed 1 year deals for > ML min -- Haren, Johnson, Hammel, Chen, Floyd, Vogelsong, Volquez -- it's pretty easy to say he's the outlier in the first group and a much better fit in the second group.

I have to agree with your sentiment.

Senior Member MVP
    If he is on an innings limit.....you want those burned in AAA, or the majors?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If indeed this new changeup grip is going to be effective, this kid has #1 starter written all over him. May seems to have found some control also, so this is getting pretty exciting.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    While I'm excited about Meyer as well, I don't have a problem letting him get a 10-12 AAA starts first. I think being smart about arbitration clocks is the right move most of the time and in this case he's not being wronged. It's not like he's been down there for 3 months just dominating, he only has 4 AAA starts to his name and about half a season at AA. Now if his May looks similar to his April then yes, it's probably time. Speaking of May, Trevor May's numbers are just as exciting through three starts. Over a K per inning and crazy low WHIP of .783. Considering May had a full year at AA it will be interesting if they both continue this well to see who gets the first call up when we have an injury or they decide a guy needs to be sent to the pen.

Senior Member MVP
    Meyer is likely on an innings limit.....you want 80% of his starts in AAA, or up here? I guess if all they care about is the future, and not this year, you can hold him down for another year of control.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guess I would respond to Mr Middlebrooks by saying the Twins don't have 5 guys better than what Meyer was last night. They may have some better than he was in his prior start. I don't think he needs several outstanding starts to get called up, but I'm ok with waiting for a couple more pretty decent starts (or at least not another clunker next time out).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    While I'm excited about Meyer as well, I don't have a problem letting him get a 10-12 AAA starts first. I think being smart about arbitration clocks is the right move most of the time and in this case he's not being wronged. It's not like he's been down there for 3 months just dominating, he only has 4 AAA starts to his name and about half a season at AA. Now if his May looks similar to his April then yes, it's probably time. Speaking of May, Trevor May's numbers are just as exciting through three starts. Over a K per inning and crazy low WHIP of .783. Considering May had a full year at AA it will be interesting if they both continue this well to see who gets the first call up when we have an injury or they decide a guy needs to be sent to the pen.

Exciting problem to have a couple of guys at AAA that look deserving of callus but no open spots yet on the MLB roster. Of course Pelf has looked pretty bad so far but still to only have one guy at the MLB level that we're fed up with instead of 5 is a great improvement, HA

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast