Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/21): Shine Bright Like Scott Diamond

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I would not call a 1.500 WHIP performance "solid" by any means. I would call it below average. The fact that this performance was Diamond's best of the season does not make it "solid"...
    You are probably the most nit-picky person on the face of the planet.

"Solid" is arbitrary. Between my timeline and the game recap, the working out of trouble, it qualified as a "solid start" for me.

Your starter goes six and gives up two runs. That's "solid".

2. These 2 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Nick Nelson (04-23-2014), Seth Stohs (04-23-2014)

I must admit to not following obsessively, but it seems to me Levi Michael seems to be putting some things together. As a whole the Twins organization has a dearth of middle infield options. Be nice to see some options matriculate through the system.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    @JoeAP, I understand what you're saying but, I think many players and coaches would disagree with you.
    If only someone would keep some records, we could compare over the long run using a large enough sample size of hundreds if not thousands of players, to see whether there was a correlation between doing well in AAA to doing well in the majors.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    At the risk of sounding snarky, correlations will not disprove the idea of AAAA players... the whole point is that they are the outliers!

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    The title of today's article is based on Rihanna's "Diamonds", which I heard on KDWB today and which was written in less than 15 minutes. Not a coincidence, it took longer than 15 minutes to write the following report.
    I kind of like this title set to Floyd's Shine On Crazy Diamond instead, the syllables fit perfectly

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    If only someone would keep some records, we could compare over the long run using a large enough sample size of hundreds if not thousands of players, to see whether there was a correlation between doing well in AAA to doing well in the majors.

My whole point was that of timeline. Some players are not given enough consistent ABs at the MLB level to mature into a solid MLB player. But I believe that those who crush it at AAA can eventually do just that. For some, though, the timeline just doesn't work. Say, for example, Plouffe has actually figured it out and will continue to be a good/great MLB player for years to come. He just doesn't get several years to work out the kinks on many other MLB teams. My whole theory is that everyone who crushes at AAA can eventually be good/great at MLB, but only a smaller percentage actually gets the time they need to do so.
    Or, put more succinctly, the notion of a AAAA player is bunk. Given a long enough timeline, all "AAAA" players will eventually bear fruit at the MLB level.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    My whole point was that of timeline.
    In case I was unclear, I was responding to someone who was in disagreement with you. I think you and I are on pretty close to the same page.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Or, put more succinctly, the notion of a AAAA player is bunk. Given a long enough timeline, all "AAAA" players will eventually bear fruit at the MLB level.
    So you think the ideas of a 'slow bat' or 'long swing' are bunk? How do you think the average fastball speed at AAA compares to the majors (I wonder if that is known)? Not only that, but many MLB starters with below average fastballs are veterans who have lost velocity over time.

Maybe instead I need to ask you to clarify what 'bear fruit' means... e.g. the player will end up with a positive WAR value for his career? Also, I think most of the players who are considered AAAA players are also poor (or limited) defensively, so that plays into the 'chances' they are given.

I think Plouffe got extra time to figure it out because he 'could' play third base. Now, we might all think he is a butcher at third... but how bad do you think Chris Parmalee would look at third?
    Last edited by TRex; 04-24-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12