Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Rules are Not Smart

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    No amount of child hugging or baby kissing will change the fact that this borderline monster had the audacity to appreciate his own accomplishment for two seconds.

Someone should've thrown a baseball at him during this to remind him of that.
    The funny thing about this whole thread is that no one ever threw a baseball at Gomez. He did throw a helmet at someone but reading Levi's posts you'd think that Gomez was an innocent victim of some headhunters.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    The funny thing about this whole thread is that no one ever threw a baseball at Gomez. He did throw a helmet at someone but reading Levi's posts you'd think that Gomez was an innocent victim of some headhunters.
    He has been before. As have many others.

In fact, as is the topic of this thread, someone was thrown at for BUNTING. IN THE FIRST INNING!!! Against a shift!!!!!!!

I'm not sure I could've come up with anything more asinine than that as an example and it actually happened! That's the essence of the unwritten rules - petulant clowns trying to make a code to justify their nonsense.

Personally, I think Gomez went into that second hug for selfish reasons - he was totally getting off on how much he was loved. Someone should bean him for enjoying himself.

I am more shocked that someone would cry over hugging Carlos Gomez. Derek Jeter? Sure, I'd sell my first born to hug Captain America, but Gomez?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm more concerned when teams throw at players for competitive reasons. As I said before, it sure seemed like Masterson was trying to hurt Willingham by repeatedly throwing at him. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you remove the other team's best hitter for half a season by breaking his wrist, you have a better chance to beat that team in the division.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I'm more concerned when teams throw at players for competitive reasons. As I said before, it sure seemed like Masterson was trying to hurt Willingham by repeatedly throwing at him. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you remove the other team's best hitter for half a season by breaking his wrist, you have a better chance to beat that team in the division.
    These are the things that happen when you develop a code that justifies petulant behavior. That's part of what makes them so obtuse.

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,356 Posts
    So the working theory is that Masterson, who thinks Willingham is the Twins best hitter, repeatedly threw at him, until with pinpoint accuracy was able to hit and fracture a tiny bone in his wrist, and did so because obtuse unwritten rules justify his petulant behavior? And further, said unwritten rules do not allow the Twins to retaliate, or even mention to the media the intentional maiming of said hitter?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    So the working theory is that Masterson, who thinks Willingham is the Twins best hitter, repeatedly threw at him, until with pinpoint accuracy was able to hit and fracture a tiny bone in his wrist, and did so because obtuse unwritten rules justify his petulant behavior? And further, said unwritten rules do not allow the Twins to retaliate, or even mention to the media the intentional maiming of said hitter?
    No, I just think he was throwing at him. He brushed him back three times and hit him with Ball 4. It was an accident that he fractured his wrist. But if you throw at guys, accidents will happen.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Makes about as much sense as any unwritten rule I've seen in baseball. (Not that I buy that in this case)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will have to go back and look at the PA but it wouldn't surprise me if anyone threw at Hammer. He's among the most hit batters because he hogs the plate.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    No, I just think he was throwing at him. He brushed him back three times and hit him with Ball 4. It was an accident that he fractured his wrist. But if you throw at guys, accidents will happen.
    He hit him with ball 3 after getting ahead 1-2.

1 out in the first, 0-0 score. Mauer standing on 1st base. Masterson hung a curveball inner half and Hammer check swung at it as it hit him. Definitely not intentional.

11. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (04-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    http://thebaseballcodes.com/2014/04/...on-pilot-pops/

I forgot to post this but here is the finale to the A's/Astros grudge, link has video to the incident. In short, A's hit the Astros lead off man in the butt in the top of the 9th in a game they were leading 12-5. A's websites rejoiced - http://www.athleticsnation.com/2014/...n-daric-barton

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    http://thebaseballcodes.com/2014/04/...on-pilot-pops/

I forgot to post this but here is the finale to the A's/Astros grudge, link has video to the incident. In short, A's hit the Astros lead off man in the butt in the top of the 9th in a game they were leading 12-5. A's websites rejoiced - http://www.athleticsnation.com/2014/...n-daric-barton
    It's a mockery of common sense any of this ever happened. All thanks to the unwritten rules.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    Baseball is a small community. There are unwritten rules in every community I've ever been in whether it is a city or town, workplace, church, organization, etc.

And the smaller the community is, it seems like the more unwritten rules it has. Whether it is what parking spot you take or whether you mow your lawn on Sunday or what night you schedule a meeting or what happens if you miss an event.

For me, unwritten rules are part of the charm of community ... and part of the charm of baseball.

I'm not advocating violence here. Just saying that the unwritten rules are a part (and at times a significant part) of the fabric of the game.

And eliminating them would remove a lot of the history, tradition and appeal of the game. But you can console yourself that like all traditions, the unwritten rules will evolve over time.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 05-03-2014 at 11:20 AM.

15. These 4 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (05-04-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (05-03-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (05-03-2014), USAFChief (05-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Baseball is a small community. There are unwritten rules in every community I've ever been in whether it is a city or town, workplace, church, organization, etc.

And the smaller the community is, it seems like the more unwritten rules it has. Whether it is what parking spot you take or whether you mow your lawn on Sunday or what night you schedule a meeting or what happens if you miss an event.

For me, unwritten rules are part of the charm of community ... and part of the charm of baseball.

I'm not advocating violence here. Just saying that the unwritten rules are a part (and at times a significant part) of the fabric of the game.

And eliminating them would remove a lot of the history, tradition and appeal of the game. But you can console yourself that like all traditions, the unwritten rules will evolve over time.
    What is the unwritten rule regarding mowing your lawn on Sunday? I'm afraid I've never heard of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    What is the unwritten rule regarding mowing your lawn on Sunday? I'm afraid I've never heard of that one.
    This is part of why you guys have trouble understanding Bert. I live in a county that has a substantial population with Dutch ancestry (some immigrant, many 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation descendants.)

That means that much of the county is of a Reformed Faith. In times past, they wouldn't even cook meals on Sunday -- they'd prepare them on Saturday so that they didn't need to work on Sunday. Farmers could do only necessary farm work on Sunday (i.e. could tend the animals but not work in the fields).

While the strength of those "unwritten rules" have faded, they still have an effect. In the towns in the county with a strong Dutch background, you simply do not mow your lawn on Sunday. And if you do, you are quietly told not to do so. Several years ago, a young Lutheran minister had the audacity to mow his lawn on Easter Sunday -- he quickly learned that he had violated an unwritten rule. Did anybody brawl with him? Of course not. Did the church board make it clear that he was expected to comply with the unwritten rule? You betcha.

In my small town, it is rare to hear a lawn mower on Sunday. It's not against any town ordinance. It's just one of those things you learn that you don't do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Yeah and just like most of the unwritten rules in baseball, that is pretty dumb.
    I'll mow my lawn any day of the week that I choose to. If someone doesn't like it, it is they who have the problem, not me.

Yeah and just like most of the unwritten rules in baseball, that is pretty dumb.
    I'll mow my lawn any day of the week that I choose to. If someone doesn't like it, it is they who have the problem, not me.
    It is a matter of common courtesy and of respect for the culture and traditions in the community.

Oops, didn't someone mention courtesy above? Perhaps that is what some of you don't understand.

20. These 3 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (05-03-2014), gunnarthor (05-04-2014), USAFChief (05-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Try mowing your lawn at 2 a.m. Who's problem does that become?

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    It is a matter of common courtesy and of respect for the culture and traditions in the community.

Oops, didn't someone mention courtesy above? Perhaps that is what some of you don't understand.
    None of that is about courtesy. It's about a small group of people trying to impose their belief set on everyone else through threats, intimidation, etc.

If my neighbors need to sleep in on Sunday because they work late on Saturday, I'd be just fine showing the courtesy to not mow the lawn. If their flying spaghetti monster or antiquated way of doing things is the only reason? I'd say no thanks - I respect your beliefs but that doesn't mean I have to share them.

All you described is again how people who are too weak minded to allow others to do things differently are capable of strong-arming their petulance into a justification to act like clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Try mowing your lawn at 2 a.m. Who's problem does that become?
    Respecting common courtesy isn't the same thing as respecting a code of "do it our way because we said so or else".

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast