Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: Jason Bartlett to retire

  1. #21
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,536
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I say Congratulations to Jason Bartlett. I hope he is happy with this decision and at peace with it. My guess is that he didn't come to this decision by himself. He had a solid career, and hopefully he is able to enjoy the rest of his life with his wife and kids.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    108
    Like
    11
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    I wish him the best in retirement, and am glad he gave it a shot if he thought he had something left. Granted, I think he could've come to the same conclusion ten days before the season started, but if they told him he had the lead for the 25th spot, can't blame him for trying.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,821
    Like
    1,649
    Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    Granted, I think he could've come to the same conclusion ten days before the season started, but if they told him he had the lead for the 25th spot, can't blame him for trying.
    Maybe "they" should be more responsible for putting actual ballplayers on the squad than a washed out player attempting a comeback.

  4. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Danchat (04-19-2014)

  5. #24
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    I feel like this is embarrassing for the twins. They let a guy make the 25 man roster just for him to retire 3 weeks into the season. In the grand scale of things, this means nothing, but I really have to question Antony/Gardy's thought process with Bartlett.
    Exactly. Such a retirement that soon after being on the 25-man out of ST is ridiculous.

  6. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    631
    Like
    12
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    .146/.163/.293

    Alex Presley's slash line in 11 games with Houston so far. Not sure whether there is anything decent about that.
    Isn't that why the Presley decision looks better and better?

  7. #26
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,409
    Like
    420
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    In Presley's defense, that's a pretty gosh awful Astros lineup. Mauer might hit .250 surrounded by that lot.
    It would be something like a .250/.500/.520 and then only score 40 runs. He'd probably break the walk record.

  8. #27
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,449
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241
    Managers like mature responsible players on the roster sometimes because they think they cans set an example for some of the younger guys. Bartlett probably hoped he had enough in the tank (and had a healthy enough body) that he could fill that role and contribute a little. So did Gardy. Both were wrong. Bartlett was mature & responsible enough to recognize that and save everyone ( and particularly his own body) more pain.

    (I'm wondering if the next guy with that realization will be Willingham).

    I'm not going to beat them up too much for Presley over this. First, it isn't clear he would have made the team if not for Bartlett. It seems to me like Colabello is as much to blame for that, and that has worked out pretty well. Second, the penalty for hat decision is losing Alex Presley, which isn't much of a penalty. It reminds me of getting worked up about losing Joe Benson, who is 26 and hitting .230 in AA right now. Sometimes guys just aren't who we want them to be.

    (If we want to go after the Twins regarding Presley, it seems to me that a better place to go after them would be why they traded for him in the first place. What did he show them in a month of playing that the scouts couldn't figure out before that?)

    But the bottom line is that centerfield is a mess. I couldn't figure out why they were chasing Rajai Davis this winter, but that's pretty clear right now. Mastroianni is slow, Presley is gone and Hicks can't hit fastballs from the left side (and just had his veteran mentor retire). I'm no huge Sam Fuld fan, but he would make a ton of sense on this team right now.

  9. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (04-19-2014)

  10. #28
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,781
    Like
    4,921
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    In Presley's defense, that's a pretty gosh awful Astros lineup. Mauer might hit .250 surrounded by that lot.

    I wasn't so upset about losing Presley as wasting a spot on Bartlett, especially to be a backup outfielder. Did they really pass on Bonifacio because of this guy? Or the various OF on waivers at the end of spring? The fact that he retired within weeks of the Twins decision is pretty embarassing, frankly.
    I wish Jason well... To quote Neil Young... There Comes a Time.

    The 25th spot on the roster won't kill the 2014 Twins but...

    From the outside... It sure looks like keeping Bartlett may have been why they didn't pursue Bonofacio. Bonofacio was absolutely perfect for this team!!! CF, Speed, utility, leadoff experience and ability. All things the Twins sorely lack.

    At the time... I thought the Twins stayed clear from Bonofacio to protect Parmelee... I coulda been OK with that but as we can see... Nope!!!

    Bartlett was the protected one. Bartlett was given the MLB job along with the minor league deal.... There is no other explanation because he did not simply race past anyone in ST.

    It seemingly was decided to try and turn Jason Bartlett into Bonofacio instead of signing the actual Bonofacio.

    I'd really like to know... Who was the advocate??? Was it Gardy??? I'd really like to know.

    The Twins approach to CF this year is so baffling... I don't know how to rationalize it.

    Who spends 2013 working without a net in CF? Only to fail at the high wire act and come crashing to the ground from great heights. Spend months in the hospital... Just to do it again in 2014?

    Who thought that these Bartlett spiderwebs is the net we were lacking in 2013? I really want to know!!!
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  11. #29
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    245
    Like
    0
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I wish Jason well... To quote Neil Young... There Comes a Time.

    The 25th spot on the roster won't kill the 2014 Twins but...

    From the outside... It sure looks like keeping Bartlett may have been why they didn't pursue Bonofacio. Bonofacio was absolutely perfect for this team!!! CF, Speed, utility, leadoff experience and ability. All things the Twins sorely lack.

    At the time... I thought the Twins stayed clear from Bonofacio to protect Parmelee... I coulda been OK with that but as we can see... Nope!!!

    Bartlett was the protected one. Bartlett was given the MLB job along with the minor league deal.... There is no other explanation because he did not simply race past anyone in ST.

    It seemingly was decided to try and turn Jason Bartlett into Bonofacio instead of signing the actual Bonofacio.

    I'd really like to know... Who was the advocate??? Was it Gardy??? I'd really like to know.

    The Twins approach to CF this year is so baffling... I don't know how to rationalize it.

    Who spends 2013 working without a net in CF? Only to fail at the high wire act and come crashing to the ground from great heights. Spend months in the hospital... Just to do it again in 2014?

    Who thought that these Bartlett spiderwebs is the net we were lacking in 2013? I really want to know!!!
    This a hundred times. Maybe Nunez can be that guy? In today's baseball of 13 pitchers you can see why teams are looking for guys like this. I wouldn't doubt that the twins told Bart that Nunez was going to be their guy.

  12. #30
    I think this is just real life. If the people in charge like you, you will get a shot over someone else who may have out performed you. That was the case this year for both Bartlett and Kubel. They were flat out given spots on the team vs. earning them. Lucky for them, Kubel started off hot otherwise there would really be some griping going on right about now. As it is, everything I read into Gardy's quotes indicates Nunez will be up to take Bartlett's place. Maybe not instantly, but I'm convinced very soon. It's usually pretty easy to spot the "chosen ones" from listening to Gardy.

  13. #31
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing a player as awful as Presley.

  14. #32
    I think they have an OK plan for CF. Hicks backed up by Mastro. Hicks will start to hit precisely when he quits switch hitting.

  15. #33
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    153
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Managers like mature responsible players on the roster sometimes because they think they cans set an example for some of the younger guys. Bartlett probably hoped he had enough in the tank (and had a healthy enough body) that he could fill that role and contribute a little. So did Gardy. Both were wrong. Bartlett was mature & responsible enough to recognize that and save everyone ( and particularly his own body) more pain.

    (I'm wondering if the next guy with that realization will be Willingham).

    I'm not going to beat them up too much for Presley over this. First, it isn't clear he would have made the team if not for Bartlett. It seems to me like Colabello is as much to blame for that, and that has worked out pretty well. Second, the penalty for hat decision is losing Alex Presley, which isn't much of a penalty. It reminds me of getting worked up about losing Joe Benson, who is 26 and hitting .230 in AA right now. Sometimes guys just aren't who we want them to be.

    (If we want to go after the Twins regarding Presley, it seems to me that a better place to go after them would be why they traded for him in the first place. What did he show them in a month of playing that the scouts couldn't figure out before that?)

    But the bottom line is that centerfield is a mess. I couldn't figure out why they were chasing Rajai Davis this winter, but that's pretty clear right now. Mastroianni is slow, Presley is gone and Hicks can't hit fastballs from the left side (and just had his veteran mentor retire). I'm no huge Sam Fuld fan, but he would make a ton of sense on this team right now.
    Willingham might go after this season if he keeps getting hurt, but I doubt he'll retire in the middle of this season. He looks like he still has something left in the tank, the question is whether or not he can stay on the field long enough to use it. Bartlett looked like a complete mess in every aspect of the game and hadn't played in a season and a half. While I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for Jason, it's not like he didn't know this was a possibility. Willingham still might have life left as a RH DH in the AL after this season.

    CF is a mess right now, but the frustrating thing is how much of it is self-inflicted. Hicks was rushed up before he was ready after Span & Revere were dealt to replenish the farm system's pitching and it left the team with limited options. Buxton isn't ready yet, and the rest of the farm system are guys who are AAAA-type players. Nothing was done in the offseason as they wasting time and a roster space screwing around with Bartlett, who never should have been an option. That's just not good.

    The Bartlett experiment also cost the team some games from Josmil Pinto, as Gardy wasn't willing to DH him until Bartlett went down with the injury. That cost the team his services for 3-4 games (it's possible he would have gotten a rest day) and it's been clear from Day 1 that this team needs his bat.

    So the Bartlett experiment, which had little chance of succeeding, screwed up the lineup and the roster. None of it's irreversible or will cause much long-term damage, but it was still a bad choice filled with questionable decision-making.

  16. #34
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,866
    Like
    185
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing a player as awful as Presley.
    No but as John mentioned - they did acquire him in a trade, which means at some point they thought he wasn't awful. At some stage in this process the Twins goofed. (Or many stages one could argue)

  17. #35
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing a player as awful as Presley.

    I think they have an OK plan for CF. Hicks backed up by Mastro. Hicks will start to hit precisely when he quits switch hitting.
    Of those three, Presley has the highest career WAR. If Presley is "awful" what does that make Hicks and Mastro?

  18. #36
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,778
    Like
    890
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Managers like mature responsible players on the roster sometimes because they think they cans set an example for some of the younger guys. Bartlett probably hoped he had enough in the tank (and had a healthy enough body) that he could fill that role and contribute a little. So did Gardy. Both were wrong. Bartlett was mature & responsible enough to recognize that and save everyone ( and particularly his own body) more pain.

    (I'm wondering if the next guy with that realization will be Willingham).

    I'm not going to beat them up too much for Presley over this. First, it isn't clear he would have made the team if not for Bartlett. It seems to me like Colabello is as much to blame for that, and that has worked out pretty well. Second, the penalty for hat decision is losing Alex Presley, which isn't much of a penalty. It reminds me of getting worked up about losing Joe Benson, who is 26 and hitting .230 in AA right now. Sometimes guys just aren't who we want them to be.

    (If we want to go after the Twins regarding Presley, it seems to me that a better place to go after them would be why they traded for him in the first place. What did he show them in a month of playing that the scouts couldn't figure out before that?)

    But the bottom line is that centerfield is a mess. I couldn't figure out why they were chasing Rajai Davis this winter, but that's pretty clear right now. Mastroianni is slow, Presley is gone and Hicks can't hit fastballs from the left side (and just had his veteran mentor retire). I'm no huge Sam Fuld fan, but he would make a ton of sense on this team right now.
    Thanks for pointing out important details regarding CF that have frequently been either brushed aside or not covered in detail.

    1) The Twins have admitted strongly pursuing Davis, indicating that they had no faith in handing Hicks the job- practically solo w/ Bartlett as a mentor.

    2) The second point is Mastro has never regained the speed he displayed in 2012, without which, he has very little to offer to a major league team.

    3) Third, Ryan's gushing over Presley after his acquisition last September 1st has certainly proved to have meant as much as was his short-term love affair with the other Pirate castoff, Eric Fryer.

    4) It was absolutely insane that someone thought that Bartlett was a legitimate option as the CF backup.

    5) Given points 1-4, it's inexplicable that the Twins didn't go harder at attempting to acquire Bonifacio and/or sign Sizemore.

    6) Fuld absolutely makes sense as a stopgap, now more than ever. Hicks has shown slightly better than last year, but he still looks prone to a necessary move needing to be made from either a continued prolonged slump or injury- leaving the club without a legit CF starting option.

  19. #37
    Senior Member Triple-A Danchat's Avatar
    Posts
    433
    Like
    169
    Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    @Riverbrian

    You've made a great point. We should have taken Bonifacio as our super-utility man. I was really hoping we'd sign him back when he was available, and he should could have helped this team.

  20. This user likes Danchat's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (04-20-2014)

  21. #38
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    740
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I say Congratulations to Jason Bartlett. I hope he is happy with this decision and at peace with it. My guess is that he didn't come to this decision by himself. He had a solid career, and hopefully he is able to enjoy the rest of his life with his wife and kids.
    My sentiments also.

    And I had no qualms about Bartlett and Kubel getting the jobs, like so many seem to have now. This team wasn't going anywhere this year anyway, so why not try. And it seems to be working out, as Kubel has done better than anyone expected. The Twins hit .500 on this one, that's pretty darn good. Bart gave it a shot, and now he won't have to wonder for life what if.... He wants to coach anyway and perhaps has some feelers with interest in that direction. He's had a nice career, made 16 million, and was an important part of the Twins for a time. Good luck to him.

  22. #39
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    288
    Like
    10
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good move by Jason. He was a great contributor for the Twins. Maybe he can teach Santana and Polanco. That last game in the OF made him come to the realization that it wasn't going to work

  23. #40
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,620
    Like
    70
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over losing a player as awful as Presley.
    I agree, I didn't care much for Presley, but then that just goes to show that it was a terrible trade in the first place. Either the trade, or the DFA was a mistake. I'd like to hear an honest evaluation from the front office on the matter. I'd vote both I guess, but hopefully this team learns to stop trading one guy who requires a 40 man roster spot and take back two who will struggle to make it.

    One thing I wonder though, how out of commission has Ryan been while dealing with his cancer? Did he make the 25-man roster? Or did he leave that up to Anthony/Gardenhire as he didn't get to evaluate much of spring training?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.