Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Has the clock run out on Jared Burton?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Time to Trade Burton

Can we please trade Jared Burton? He's shown nothing since about the middle of last season. When we go to 12 pitchers, Tonkin deserves to stay. If we stay with 13 pitchers, I think there are about 4 or 5 who would be better than Burton, including Guerrier.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nobody is going to take that salary yet

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    Why would anyone else want him and on top of that give something up for him and his 3 million $ owed?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Maybe I should have said "Time to Dump Burton". We can afford to eat his salary at this point. He's not a part of the future, and at this point, shouldn't be part of the present.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Time to dump him. He lost his fastball, making his change just a BP pitch.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    He's not reliable enough to be our set up man anymore.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    I do think I'd like to see Tonkin get a good long look as the eighth inning guy.

Always sell high. Let him string some good outings together. I don't have faith in the Twins doing so given their history, but I also think the market is a lot lower than we all hope. Unless it's Drew Butera

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At first I thought this said time to trade Buxton.

10. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-17-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    At first I thought this said time to trade Buxton.
    Boo! You scared me.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trade? Who would take him? DFA or release? Sure. He's toast.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Trade? Who would take him? DFA or release? Sure. He's toast.
    Poor guy, what a cold and heartless thing to say about a human being... That said, he serves up BP in games, he can't figure this stuff out in games.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought the Twins made a mistake extending him. They had him under team control for 2013.

http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php/1968...Old-Set-Up-Man

Teams should use caution extending any one 32 and beyond. Too often they decline and stay on the roster while younger players are not given the opportunity to grow.

15. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (04-16-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Has the clock run out on Jared Burton?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    Always sell high. Let him string some good outings together. I don't have faith in the Twins doing so given their history, but I also think the market is a lot lower than we all hope. Unless it's Drew Butera
    I don't want to see him on the mound right now. It's not worth it. Let someone else sacrifice major league games to try to help him snap out of it.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I linked this in the other thread but this is a better fit. The article was written after a strong 2012 season in fear that the a Twins would extend him through 2014.

Set up relievers don't age well into their 30s.

http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php/1968...Old-Set-Up-Man

The Twins need to stop extending players into their 30s. Why fear arbitration? They have the money to pay should the player take a step and become among the better players. Extending middling players leaves no room for decline. They end up carrying mediocre players with no upside.

Moves the a Twins could make this year to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

They might extend Kubel or Suzuki or Correia when they should trade them.

They might extend a Dozier into his 30s when they have several years of team control. They need to keep him hungry. They should happily pay his due reward in arbitration if he becomes an all star level player. The same goes for Plouffe.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    I remember his fastball being around 91-92 mph. Yesterday, if the radar was accurate, he was reaching 89 mph. For a guy that relays in his change-up, losing those 3 mph could be a serious problem. May be he is hurt?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    What timing for a trade! Why not wait until July or August when players like Burton are normally traded? G.L! Gardy has his 13 pitchers (anybody surprised?) there are plenty of others to pitch. Also, consider the timing of Burton's blow-up--Twins down by 3 in the 9th on a crummy night--they were going to lose anyway, so Burton's disater didn't cost a game.

A fine example of someone tradable mid-season last year that the Twins didn't move.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Ryan Pressly should be up. He was really good last season and hasn't done anything not to deserve a 25 man roster spot. Tonkin, Pressly, Perkins, Theibar... That could be a really nasty bullpen....in a good way.

I will say this about contracts and extending... Don't the Oakland A's go year by year with their players. If you produce your paid if you don't produce your may not have a job next season simple as that. I would do this with bullpen guys, bench players, and position players who are average or replaceable. Job security is a great thing, but it can lead to complacency. The pressure of fighting for a job and your next big paycheck can be a real motivator ask just about every american. Alot, of this also depends on the individual as well. Oswaldo Arcia I would never until I had too give a multi year contract too. I would very rarely give a multi year contract to any player 30 and above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast