Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Early Surprises in the 2014 Season

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I've always said that Plouffe was part of the future. I remember what a poor fielder Corey Koskie was and he became an outstanding fielder with practice. Once Sano is ready, don't throw Plouffe out, he becomes a leader for a strong bench. Move him around the infield and outfield and he becomes a strong 10th man who relieves at all positions, but catcher, virtually every day. And I believe he has the makeup and mental strength to play a different position every night.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmonhank View Post
    Re Mauer: Take away the 1 game in March, and Mauer is hitting .311, OBP .411, 19TB, 8R - I believe in the past, his Ks have gone up when he's been looking for more power... yeah, this is not a "thing" yet.
    .......or...... take away a 3/4 day on April 6 and he is hitting .239. It is what it is and that is all that there is and he is heating up and will do just fine, regardless of the peanut gallery. 1 homer already..... 39 to go for 40!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    I've always said that Plouffe was part of the future. I remember what a poor fielder Corey Koskie was and he became an outstanding fielder with practice. Once Sano is ready, don't throw Plouffe out, he becomes a leader for a strong bench. Move him around the infield and outfield and he becomes a strong 10th man who relieves at all positions, but catcher, virtually every day. And I believe he has the makeup and mental strength to play a different position every night.
    If Plouffe is really an .800 OPS hitter, you don't bench that guy. You give him a position or you trade him to someone who will give him a position.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kubel: We got lucky. His injuries are healed, and Kubes is now back to his form from a few years ago. Looks like he's in good physical shape, and I always thought his arm was above average strength and very accurate.

Dozier: His work with Bruno is paying off. Dozier now uses his legs to generate a more powerful swing. It's a beautiful thing to see his compact upper body with some leg drive added. No way that power is going away, Dozier from now on will hit no less than 20 homers per year, probably more. And his defense is superb. Right now he's the best player on the team.

Plouffe: Watch what happens as Plouffe's pitch recognition gradually turns into him pouncing on situational pitches. Kaboom. Too bad about the iron glove. He needs to work on better balance with his fielding footwork. Some of his throws look awkward.

Mauer: This troubles me, because Mauer is trying to transition from a line drive hitter into a power hitter, and the change in his approach does not look good. Just go back to driving it flat, Joe. The uppercut swing is not your style, and an in-between swing is no good.

Pelfrey: No worries here. Pelfrey's still figuring out how his arm reacts to a little more velocity. His mechanics and balance are too good to lose it for long. It's more about his pitching strategy now, how to approach middle innings. He will be good. In fact, this staff is going to be pretty solid after a rough first month.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    I find everyone of Nick's points surprising, except Pelfrey, not sure why the Twins felt they needed to give him another shot. What's most surprising is the team being in the top 10 in runs scored especially given the unsurprising fact they're in the bottom 10 in BA. Maybe that means they'll catch some breaks and have some good luck this year...the law of averages are in their favor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12