Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/14): Miracle Explosion/Kernels Walk-off

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/14): Miracle Explosion/Kernels Walk-off

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My hat tip of the evening goes to Logan Wade of the Kernels. He sat on the bench for 8 and a half innings in low 30s temperatures, then lines a solid single in the 9th when his number gets called to pinch hit. That can't be easy.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Mitch Garver story keeps building... .784 SLG; 1.012 OPS Oh my!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re: MitchG....no one was talking about him, at all. Can he catch enough to jump right through the system?

Re: Brooks Raley....At least it won't be too difficult in making a decision on how to fill a roster spot when the time inevitably comes

Re: BJ Hermsen....Obviously not healthy. Is it not long before he is released, so many better arms coming online soon.

RE: MattyG... How long before he takes Raley's, or someone else's place in Rochester?
    Last edited by jokin; 04-14-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    The Mitch Garver story keeps building... .784 SLG; 1.012 OPS Oh my!
    Yes, it's not like a guy can hit well over a 10-day stretch or that this particular guy is old for his league. ;-)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Matty G.....is, imo, just the kind of move a rebuilding team should NOT be making. They have plenty of young guys that could be in the bullpen. I just don't get it. Why NOT use young guys in the bullpen? It seems to be working for other teams.

I remain a Wimmers' backer. I predict he's on the MLB roster by 2016. Either in long relief or as a starter. I remain a May disbeliever. I hope to be proven wrong there someday.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta love what Wimmers is doing but he is pitching 2 levels lower than where he should be age and pick round wise.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Gotta love what Wimmers is doing but he is pitching 2 levels lower than where he should be age and pick round wise.
    He didn't do well last year at a lower level, presumably due just to lingering effects, so starting him at high-A wasn't controversial in my book. Let him achieve some comfort and success to start out. But, as I said in a different thread, I think moving him up quickly this season could easily be in the cards, for exactly the reasons you state. A cameo appearance in AAA near season's end, if all has gone well and if an innings limit allows it, could still have him knocking on the big club's door by the middle of next year.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The goal should be for him to be successful enough this year to add to the 40 man roster at the end of the year. From there, he's got three option years. So... what's the rush? Let's make sure Wimmers is healthy and strong (so far, so good), and move him up just like anyone else. Goal isn't to get him up to the big leagues quickly. Goal is for him to be able to contribute when it gets there. I don't care if he debuts at 25, 26, 27. If he's what he could be, those are 6 pretty good years to control.

10. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (04-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    More like 3 levels.

sorry, new to site but appears Hermsen was released? shows as assigned to new level when you look his stats up . Too bad, was wishing the Iowa boy could right the ship.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa4ND View Post
    sorry, new to site but appears Hermsen was released? shows as assigned to new level when you look his stats up . Too bad, was wishing the Iowa boy could right the ship.
    Last I heard, Hermsen was assigned to extended spring training to make room for Matt Guerrier on the New Britain staff. I haven't heard anything about a release at this point.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~