Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Dozier's Power

  1. #1
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,588
    Like
    199
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33

    Dozier's Power

    Brian Dozier is tied for the AL lead with four homers. My observation is that almost all of his long balls make it over the fence by only a row or two and usually are pulled. It seems to me that Dozier has learned how to hit 360 ft. home runs. I can remember guys like Cuddyer and Hunter hitting a lot of 380-400 ft. drives to the deep parts of their stadiums and settling for long outs or doubles. Dozier seems to turn well on inside pitches I'm guessing teams will get the scouting report to be careful on middle-in pitches. I think it is quite possible, however that Dozier breaks his team record for homers by a second baseman.

    The next question would be where BD should hit in the order. Last year, his OBP was .312, so maybe he should hit lower in the order, at least against right handed pitchers. I also believe in using base stealing speed at the bottom of the order--and Dozier could help in that area as well.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    601
    Like
    77
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Maybe he will be the Adam Dunn of 2nd basemen

  3. #3
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,536
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I think it is quite possible, however that Dozier breaks his team record for homers by a second baseman.
    He would be breaking his own record from last year...

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,670
    Like
    945
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Brian Dozier is tied for the AL lead with four homers. My observation is that almost all of his long balls make it over the fence by only a row or two and usually are pulled. It seems to me that Dozier has learned how to hit 360 ft. home runs. I can remember guys like Cuddyer and Hunter hitting a lot of 380-400 ft. drives to the deep parts of their stadiums and settling for long outs or doubles. Dozier seems to turn well on inside pitches I'm guessing teams will get the scouting report to be careful on middle-in pitches. I think it is quite possible, however that Dozier breaks his team record for homers by a second baseman.

    The next question would be where BD should hit in the order. Last year, his OBP was .312, so maybe he should hit lower in the order, at least against right handed pitchers. I also believe in using base stealing speed at the bottom of the order--and Dozier could help in that area as well.
    I'd love to see him hit in the 2 spot, although I have no issue with Mauer as a #2, I'm just not sure if Dozier is a better bet than Joe at 3.

    If Hicks can keep progressing he might actually be able to handle that lead off spot before long, I think he's shown much more plate discipline so far. Then Dozier can effectively move down the order.

  5. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    DocBauer (04-13-2014)

  6. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Posts
    426
    Like
    219
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The next question would be where BD should hit in the order. Last year, his OBP was .312, so maybe he should hit lower in the order, at least against right handed pitchers. I also believe in using base stealing speed at the bottom of the order--and Dozier could help in that area as well.
    If one looks around the Twins' 25-man roster, there aren't many options right now for a leadoff hitter. Who has the speed and plate discipline that Dozier has? No. I'm not saying that he's a GOOD leadoff hitter. He can be good. He shows more potential than anyone on the roster right now.

    Mastroianni hasn't shown it. Hicks could. In spite of a .189 BA, Hicks' OBP is .326. But Gardy wants to protect him.

    In the minors, James Beresford may be an option. Beresford lacks the prospect status of a Rosario, but he's hit at every level. He has modest speed (55 SB/45 CS in 8 minor-league seasons), but was .298/.355/.343 at Rochester last year, and has been lights out so for in 2014 with a slash of .500/.548/.607 over eight games. Beresford's minor league numbers are comparable to Eduardo Nunez' offensive output. I'd like to know more about how they compare on defense. Nunez is also 2 1/2 years older.

  7. #6
    With his OBP as it is I feel he can fit the role of lead off hitter with the players currently on the Twins roster. If he can keep the walks up and hit a bit more he could end up pushing the OBP to roughly .340 which is close to his Minor League line. In that case he would be a good lead off hitter, not elite, but good enough for now. Ultimately by 2016 i'm sure the Twins would like a line up of Hicks, Buxton, Mauer and Sano. As such if those prospects are all able to play an an average level in the majors Dozier will likely be pushed back to later in the line up. Has the potential to be scary when you add in Arcia and Pinto.

    Defensively Dozier requires a place in the team as he has been excellent. If he can keep up the 20 home run level power he will be worth a place in the team until he becomes a free agent.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Actually, if Dozier really has this kind of power, he might be a better a candidate for#2 than Joe, and Joe would actually make a great lead off hitter.

  9. These 2 users like Alex's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    benchwarmerjim (04-13-2014), Halsey Hall (04-13-2014)

  10. #8
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    It is certainly a thing I've been thinking about... Dozier shouldn't be leading off... In my opinion... Dozier should be in an RBI spot.

    If I was Gardy... This is what I'd do with health.

    1. Nunez SS
    2. Mauer 1B
    3. Plouffe 3B
    4. Colabello DH
    5. Kubel LF
    6. Dozier 2B
    7. Arcia RF
    8. Pinto/Suzuki C
    9. Hicks CF

    Hammer in a rotation with Colabello and Kubel mainly... occasionally Arcia
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  11. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    DocBauer (04-13-2014)

  12. #9
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,778
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    It is certainly a thing I've been thinking about... Dozier shouldn't be leading off... In my opinion... Dozier should be in an RBI spot.

    If I was Gardy... This is what I'd do with health.

    1. Nunez SS
    2. Mauer 1B
    3. Plouffe 3B
    4. Colabello DH
    5. Kubel LF
    6. Dozier 2B
    7. Arcia RF
    8. Pinto/Suzuki C
    9. Hicks CF

    Hammer in a rotation with Colabello and Kubel mainly... occasionally Arcia
    I'm liking what your dishin' RB. 6 is just about the right spot for Dozier. I'm wondering about Arcia's wrist situation, he may have a more extended stay on the DL- perhaps coupled with a rehab stint. A lineup where Pinto is batting 8th....this proposed batting order suddenly looks far more formidable than it did just a couple weeks ago.

    A couple things that stand out in your post, you've evidently gone 180 degrees in one direction on Plouffie, and 180 degrees opposite on Florimon?

  13. #10
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,779
    Like
    4,915
    Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'm liking what your dishin' RB. 6 is just about the right spot for Dozier. I'm wondering about Arcia's wrist situation, he may have a more extended stay on the DL- perhaps coupled with a rehab stint. A lineup where Pinto is batting 8th....this proposed batting order suddenly looks far more formidable than it did just a couple weeks ago.

    A couple things that stand out in your post, you've evidently gone 180 degrees in one direction on Plouffie, and 180 degrees opposite on Florimon?
    I have... Indeed... Umm... Well kinda...

    Plouffe: My problem with Plouffe has been defense primarily. As long as he's hitting... I won't worry about the D... Last year he was not hitting near enough.

    This year... I see a changed man... He is showing discipline and not chasing as much crap... He is going the other way and opening up the entire field. If this Plouffe stays... You won't hear a peep out of me about his defense.

    And speaking of D... Plouffe's D seems to have an extra step to it so far.

    Florimon: I haven't really 180'ed... I still think he can help us win games. I think he can hit in the nine hole and get the occasional hit and not kill this team... I don't think he will bat .071 forever. I'm still OK with Florimon...

    I'm just no longer OK with Dozier at leadoff. Hicks isn't ready for the leadoff spot and Florimon certainly shouldn't be in that spot. Mauer should stay #2...

    So in the context of this team... In order to move Dozier... We need a leadoff guy more than we need Florimon's Glove. Nunez becomes the only option on the current roster.

    Bonofacio sure would have been nice!!!
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  14. #11
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,778
    Like
    890
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Bonofacio sure would have been nice!!!
    I eat my heart out every day I look at the box scores (and I hope Terry Ryan is, too- they probably could have gotten Bonifacio for Sulbaran, instead of Nunez). He's already started at 2 positions, played at 4, and leads the major leagues in stolen bases with 7 and has a current OBP of .480- how much more explosive would this offense be with a real leadoff hitter? Here's hoping that Nunez can overcome the odds and hit the ground running in the next few days or weeks.

  15. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    snepp (04-13-2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.