Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clete Thomas?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    If I owned a team... You would be my director of scouting. All scouting reports should read like this one.

Back to the subject. Clete Thomas is toolsy. He should be dripping with potential but at age 28.. the potential clock is ticking like Marissa Tomei's foot in My Cousin Vinny.
    I'm in, I won't quit my day job but I'm in.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 217 Times in 149 Posts
    Becuase they do not understand the rebuilding concepts. That simple.
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    He's not going to keep striking out more than 1/2 his time up unless Vavra has really messed with his head.

Sometimes being a little uncomfortable isn't the worse thing and making sure your get your best players in the lineup is more important.
    Somehow I don't think Joe Vavra is the one responsible for getting Thomas to swing at every pitch that moves in a forward direction towards the plate. The problem with Thomas is he seems to think every pitch is his pitch and he couldn't read a pitch sequence if the pitcher wrote it down for him.

Secondly, you should always play your best players, shouldn't matter where.

Liked 301 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Did I even mention Revere or Span? You stated your opinion, and then added that the only conclusion you could come to for Gardnehire doing something different than you would do was worrying about feelings. I contend that it's juuuuust possible that he could actually disagree with you. AND...here's the shocker...it's even possible that in a difference of opinion, it's possible that the other person is right.

Still waiting for any source for Willingham being unwilling to play right field (other than just someone on the internets making it up and typing it).
    What I actually said was: "But, apparently, Gardy does not want to hurt Span's feelings." That is a statement of opinion, not fact. Take the word "apparently" out of the sentence, and what you are saying would be a fair criticism.

I continue to believe that Revere would make more good plays in centerfield than Span, and that Gardenhire missed the boat with the plan to put Revere in left field. Based on the games that I have seen, I believe that Revere is faster than Span, takes a better route to the ball and makes catches that Span could not make. Just my opinion, which I am willing to debate.

If he was 23 and showed some type of promise I would understand sticking with him through the struggles. But 28 and a track record of not performing on this level...?? Why is he here?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Sadly the Twins don't have someone they can sit on the bench and play all OF positions. As mentioned I don't think they want Revere or Benson doing that right now because it would hurt their development.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Now that he's off the DL why don't they toss Thomas and bring up Tosoni. He has as much power as Thomas, can play all 3 OF spots, and seems better suited to come off the bench to pinch hit. He was pretty successful last year. If not Tosoni, why not try Mastroianni - RH can play all 3 OF plus 1B and has spent time at 2B as well. More versatile, less power, more speed and is currently batting over .350 at Rochester. Just dump Thomas at this point, he's a wasted spot on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Now that he's off the DL why don't they toss Thomas and bring up Tosoni. He has as much power as Thomas, can play all 3 OF spots, and seems better suited to come off the bench to pinch hit. He was pretty successful last year. If not Tosoni, why not try Mastroianni - RH can play all 3 OF plus 1B and has spent time at 2B as well. More versatile, less power, more speed and is currently batting over .350 at Rochester. Just dump Thomas at this point, he's a wasted spot on the roster.
    Agree and disagree. I'm done with Tosoni...well, he was really a non-starter. Guy is 25 years old and a career .221 hitter in 317 PA's at Triple-A. The appeal of this for a corner outfielder is...what, exactly?

But I agree on the Mastroianni bit...not that he's so great (though his Triple-A numbers have actually been pretty good), but that it he was acquired to specifically do what Clete was apparently picked up to do.

These types of transactions I do blame on Gardy, not just the front office. Leyland confirmed Gardy's man-crush on Clete Thomas for years, and Gardy gave him way too much playing time. Gardy just has "his guys", but he spends this time acquiring or wasting roster spots on scrappy guys instead of trying out even mid-to-low level prospects like Plouffe, Parmelee, etc. that have at least a glimmer of hope of becoming something more.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Agree and disagree. I'm done with Tosoni...well, he was really a non-starter. Guy is 25 years old and a career .221 hitter in 317 PA's at Triple-A. The appeal of this for a corner outfielder is...what, exactly?
    Not saying I want Tosoni as a starter. But he had 35 hits last year for the Twins and over 1/3 of them were for extra bases - 7 doubles, 1 triple and 5 homers. He came through with a number of big pinch hits and seems like a better option than Mr. 14 strikeouts in 17 AB's, as a 4th outfielder. Right now I'd go with Mastroianni - right-handed with speed and more versatile.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,295 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Not saying I want Tosoni as a starter. But he had 35 hits last year for the Twins and over 1/3 of them were for extra bases - 7 doubles, 1 triple and 5 homers. He came through with a number of big pinch hits and seems like a better option than Mr. 14 strikeouts in 17 AB's, as a 4th outfielder. Right now I'd go with Mastroianni - right-handed with speed and more versatile.
    Mastro is my adoptee so I'm obligated to second this. Still, I'm not sure his skill set matches what the Twins need, and I think that's why Clete has gotten chance after chance. Clete has most of what Mastro has, speed and defense, to a lower degree, and brings a moderate level of power based on his minor league production that Darin just doesn't have; they both show about .750 OPS in their time at AAA, but Clete's was achieved differently.

In yesterday's no-hit game's lineup, three of the hitters (Span, Casilla, Carroll) are clearly table-setter types, Willingham has demonstrated RBI ability, and we can debate the spot on this spectrum for the other 5, all of whom have potential to do more than set the table but currently aren't doing much else (in some cases like Plouffe they aren't doing anything at all). Replacing Clete with Mastro in that lineup gives you four table setters. Moreover, Mastro's best role is as a leadoff hitter, and Span's not moving out the way for him; batting him #2 would likely waste his strengths, and batting him 9th seems weak to me. Particularly until Morneau shows he's ready again, t's just not a fit right now.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Mastro was signed specifically as Span insurance in case the concussion symptoms recurred. If so, we kind of have to hope he remains buried at AAA. Sorry to have to say that about my adopted "son".
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003freak2003 View Post
    Either way Clete Thomas is complete Garbage. What if he gets marginally better. It's still pathetic numbers. I agree with Plouffe getting his chances at right or any other chance available to him than Thomas. Atleast Plouffe puts the bat on the ball ...a one of the most fundamental parts of the game that was taught to all of us.. and Thomas has rarely been able to do that.

I agree with you minus the garbage comment. I don't think a guy should be called garbage for being a fringe MLB player.

Liked 301 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    I agree with you minus the garbage comment. I don't think a guy should be called garbage for being a fringe MLB player.
    Thomas made the best catch of the night last night against the Angels. But he also looked terrible at the plate. Maybe there is some potential for him, possibly to at least help Rochester win some games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12