Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Clete Thomas?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    582
    Like
    9
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

    Clete Thomas?

    Why is Clete Thomas still on the roster? He is horrible with all the strikeouts and has done nothing since his first series with the Twins. I would rather see Revere and his baby arm than Thomas. How is Thomas still getting AB's when he is hacking? Doesn't he know that is not the Twins way to approach an AB?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,941
    Like
    477
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    It's been the Twins way tonight, they're all hacking. I agree though, he's a waste of space.

  3. #3
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,517
    Like
    2,364
    Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree with both of you, but think that Revere would be a disaster in right field due to his weak arm. I think that the best solution would be to play Revere in center and move Span to right. But, apparently, Gardy does not want to hurt Span's feelings.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    582
    Like
    9
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    I would actually leave Revere in AAA and hope he can actually rebuild his trade value and dump him.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I agree with both of you, but think that Revere would be a disaster in right field due to his weak arm. I think that the best solution would be to play Revere in center and move Span to right. But, apparently, Gardy does not want to hurt Span's feelings.
    Clearly if he disagrees with you it's due to a reason like that. Obviously you've got more and better information available to you than Gardy does. And let's not get into all the extra experience you have. So that's the only conclusion one could reach. Wait...I'm thinking...

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Posts
    1,663
    Like
    30
    Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
    If we seriously reflect for a moment, should we expect Clete to improve, perform as he has been, or worsen? I think we're seeing the base line, but maybe some marginal improvement.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,941
    Like
    477
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    I'd love to see the scouting report on Thomas, probably goes something like this;

    "Is almost legally blind, pretty much anything will do, don't worry about having to stay away from certain pitches, he can't hit any of them. Has never had a walk in his life.If we have to have a plan then for sh**s and giggles let's go fastball in, fastball away, change-up. That should do it.

  8. #8
    Head Moderator All-Star glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    4,517
    Like
    2,364
    Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Clearly if he disagrees with you it's due to a reason like that. Obviously you've got more and better information available to you than Gardy does. And let's not get into all the extra experience you have. So that's the only conclusion one could reach. Wait...I'm thinking...
    Are you saying that Span is a better defender in center than Revere? Or that Revere has a good enough arm to play right field? Or are you saying that we should always defer to Gardy (or never speculate as to what he might be thinking) because he has so much experience?

    I base my opinion on watching both Span and Revere play center and on the indisputable fact that Span has a good enough arm to play right field, while Revere would be a disaster there. I am also taking into account the way that Gardenhire spoke about Span being his centerfielder during spring training. It seemed to me at the time that he was trying to make Span feel secure. Just my opinion, but that's what I thought at the time.

    At this point, we are getting almost no production from right field and Revere might provide a spark if Gardy would make room for him in the lineup by moving Span. Since Willingham seems unable/unwilling to play right field (and is barely able to play left), it seems to me that the only rational way to get Revere into the lineup would be in center. Also, Span would provide a huge defensive upgrade over Doumit/Plouffe/Thomas in right. And Revere is fun to watch, which would be a blessing in the dark days of this terrible season.

    As for Gardy, I would trade him and our #2 pick in the upcoming draft for Mike Scioscia.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,093
    Like
    1,264
    Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I agree with both of you, but think that Revere would be a disaster in right field due to his weak arm. I think that the best solution would be to play Revere in center and move Span to right. But, apparently, Gardy does not want to hurt Span's feelings.
    1. You need an arm to play CF as much as you need one in RF. Arm hiding only makes total sense in LF.
    2. Alex Gordon led MLB with 20 outfield assists last year. Led by a wide margin with 2nd being 16.
    3. The strong armed Gordons, Cuddyers, Ankiels and Francour's of the world nailed the advancing runner once every 8 games.
    4. Is the arm that big of an issue? The runner is advancing when the situation dictates advancing. Mr. Cannon and Mr. Popgun will both struggle to stop advancement.
    5. With the exception of balls deep to the fences. The purpose of the cut is to stop the trailing runner from advancing. The weak armed guy gets cut more often and leads to less trailing runner advancement.
    6. Ben can throw a baseball. He's done it a few times in his life. It's not like he throws a baseball and it falls straight to the ground.
    7. At some point the arm obsession takes on a life of its own and it gets bigger then it needs to be.
    8. Yeah you'd rather have a Francour Arm but Range is a much much bigger issue in outfield defense.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,093
    Like
    1,264
    Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Are you saying that Span is a better defender in center than Revere? Or that Revere has a good enough arm to play right field? Or are you saying that we should always defer to Gardy (or never speculate as to what he might be thinking) because he has so much experience?

    I base my opinion on watching both Span and Revere play center and on the indisputable fact that Span has a good enough arm to play right field, while Revere would be a disaster there. I am also taking into account the way that Gardenhire spoke about Span being his centerfielder during spring training. It seemed to me at the time that he was trying to make Span feel secure. Just my opinion, but that's what I thought at the time.

    At this point, we are getting almost no production from right field and Revere might provide a spark if Gardy would make room for him in the lineup by moving Span. Since Willingham seems unable/unwilling to play right field (and is barely able to play left), it seems to me that the only rational way to get Revere into the lineup would be in center. Also, Span would provide a huge defensive upgrade over Doumit/Plouffe/Thomas in right. And Revere is fun to watch, which would be a blessing in the dark days of this terrible season.

    As for Gardy, I would trade him and our #2 pick in the upcoming draft for Mike Scioscia.
    Im with you on Revere... Put him in the lineup but don't be afraid of his arm.

    I don't believe Willingham is unwilling to play RF. Willingham was moved to LF because of Doumit and Morneau. Once Morneau became the DH. Doumit's bat needed a position and RF is where is experience was. That moved Willingham to LF.

    I believe that Parmelee was also an unplanned Spring training survivor and that took the third catcher out of the mix.

    Everything was Revere in LF and Willingham in RF and then it changed with about a week left in Spring training.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,093
    Like
    1,264
    Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I'd love to see the scouting report on Thomas, probably goes something like this;

    "Is almost legally blind, pretty much anything will do, don't worry about having to stay away from certain pitches, he can't hit any of them. Has never had a walk in his life.If we have to have a plan then for sh**s and giggles let's go fastball in, fastball away, change-up. That should do it.
    If I owned a team... You would be my director of scouting. All scouting reports should read like this one.

    Back to the subject. Clete Thomas is toolsy. He should be dripping with potential but at age 28.. the potential clock is ticking like Marissa Tomei's foot in My Cousin Vinny.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 05-02-2012 at 01:20 AM.

  12. #12
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    2,580
    Like
    89
    Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26

    Clete, Ben, Trevor, Ryan and Denard

    It is apparent that Gardenhire doesn't want to see Revere starting every day in right field, hence his demotion to Rochester. This makes sense because Revere's value on offense is limited by his lack of selectivity and lack of power and his value on defense is limited by his poor throwing arm. Couple that with having Casilla, Carroll, and Span as regulars, which would mean that almost half of the order wouldn't be any threat of hitting home runs. The team has also decided that Revere would benefit from getting lots of at-bats to work on bunting and selectivity and perhaps finding a way to drive the ball and make capable throws.

    Thomas has proven to be a stretch even as a fourth OF, Plouffe hasn't hit, Doumit has looked like a catcher playing right field, so somebody needs to step up in right field.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,093
    Like
    1,264
    Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    It is apparent that Gardenhire doesn't want to see Revere starting every day in right field, hence his demotion to Rochester.

    This makes sense because Revere's value on offense is limited by his lack of selectivity and lack of power and his value on defense is limited by his poor throwing arm.

    Couple that with having Casilla, Carroll, and Span as regulars, which would mean that almost half of the order wouldn't be any threat of hitting home runs.

    The team has also decided that Revere would benefit from getting lots of at-bats to work on bunting and selectivity and perhaps finding a way to drive the ball and make capable throws.

    Thomas has proven to be a stretch even as a fourth OF, Plouffe hasn't hit, Doumit has looked like a catcher playing right field, so somebody needs to step up in right field.
    Revere supporters (like me) gloss over his weak points. The anti Revere crowd accentuate his flaws. Every player has flaws especially on this team.

    The "limited" sentence in your post can be written in similar fashion for every player on the Twins. For example "Mauers value on offense is limited by his lack of power and overly patient approach" or you can be written "Mauers home run power isn't an issue because of his high OBP percentage and plate discipline".

    The next sentence could be written "With Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Parmelee and Velencia over half your lineup has no foot speed at all.

    The thing I agree with is... his need to play every day and working on his plate discipline. Just thought that would be happening in the majors this year.

    Back to Thomas... He's toolsy and with those tools. There is a reason he was cut by the Tigers... After watching him play I'm convinced contact is a primary reason.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    981
    Like
    4
    Liked 121 Times in 54 Posts
    I know that Plouffe hasn't been hitting particularly well, but the Twins need to find out what they have with him. Plouffe should be starting every day in RF, maybe spelled once in a while by Doumit.

    Wow, I just looked up Thomas's numbers in AAA last year - he struck out 130 times. In AAA. That's Jason Pridie territory.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 05-02-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Addition

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    397
    Like
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I agree that Plouffe should start everyday in RF. At this point if he can't handle it, might be time for him to move on.
    I bent my wookie...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Are you saying that Span is a better defender in center than Revere? Or that Revere has a good enough arm to play right field? Or are you saying that we should always defer to Gardy (or never speculate as to what he might be thinking) because he has so much experience?

    Since Willingham seems unable/unwilling to play right field.
    Did I even mention Revere or Span? You stated your opinion, and then added that the only conclusion you could come to for Gardnehire doing something different than you would do was worrying about feelings. I contend that it's juuuuust possible that he could actually disagree with you. AND...here's the shocker...it's even possible that in a difference of opinion, it's possible that the other person is right.

    Still waiting for any source for Willingham being unwilling to play right field (other than just someone on the internets making it up and typing it).

  17. #17
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    7,034
    Like
    1,089
    Liked 1,295 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    6. Ben can throw a baseball. He's done it a few times in his life. It's not like he throws a baseball and it falls straight to the ground.
    I don't see many games but I remember one last year where he two-hopped it to his cutoff man who had come out extra far. Two-hopped it. To the cutoff man. Who had already made allowances.

    That's pretty nearly straight to the ground. I've uncorked throws like that, but I was on a beer-league softball team that couldn't even afford beer.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-02-2012 at 09:36 AM.

  18. #18
    Well, I think many of us thought the Twins made a decent move bringing Thomas in as a 4th OF. He's not going to keep striking out more than 1/2 his time up unless Vavra has really messed with his head. He's always been a big strike out guy, but the current rate has to be of historic proportions. If he was a 4th OF starting maybe once or twice a week, you'd hope he'd play more like what we expected the Twins were getting. However, it seems like he is the LH part of a RF platoon right now and that is bad. I would rather see the Twins see if Plouffe can make it as an everyday player. I have my doubts, but I'd much rather see if he can figure things out than watch Thomas flail away like he has. As for Willingham in RF vs. LF, Gardenhire said that he'd talked with Willingham and Josh was obviously more comfortable in left. That's why Willingham is in left instead of right. It goes without saying he's more comfortable in left than right, that's where he's played his entire career. Are you more comfortable sleeping in your own bed, or that stiff board they have at a hotel? The question is what is better for the team, and that's what the manager's job is to decide, I think some of us disagree with the decision, but let's be serious..how much of a difference does it really make. I don't think there is that big of a difference at the ML level in value of playing a guy in right vs. left. I will say I think Gardenhire makes a lot of these decisions based on "player comfort" instead of what might be best for the team. I'm sure he feels that having a guy comfortable is best for the team, so in his mind that's the right decision. I just don't always agree. Sometimes being a little uncomfortable isn't the worse thing and making sure your get your best players in the lineup is more important.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    969
    Like
    3
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I think Clete is on the team to be that 4th outfielder, allowing Revere to hit everyday in AAA.

    I also think the reason Willingham is in left is due to Morneau DHing. At least, I hope that's the reason. Willingham can't be that much worse in RF than he has been in left. I've got to believe that moving him to right and putting someone else in left would net the twins more runs saved, especially if it were someone like Revere.

  20. #20
    Either way Clete Thomas is complete Garbage. What if he gets marginally better. It's still pathetic numbers. I agree with Plouffe getting his chances at right or any other chance available to him than Thomas. Atleast Plouffe puts the bat on the ball ...a one of the most fundamental parts of the game that was taught to all of us.. and Thomas has rarely been able to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.