Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: What happens when Bart, Waldo and Willy come off DL?

What happens when Bart, Waldo and Willy come off DL?

Interesting question... Especially since bello, Kubel and pinto to an extent are hitting cover off... Here is what I figure.
    -Bartlett optioned to AAA.
    -Tonkin optioned for Arcia. (Even though I secretly want it to be a different reliever.)
    -Willingham for Mastroianni (I think hicks should get an off day in CF tomorrow or sometime against a RHP before this happens though)
    -also have to wonder when Nunez is up and either Pedro or Escobar is optioned...

Note: by interesting I really meant how playing time will be handed out...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    I think Bartlett is out of options.
    Regardless, they don't need to send him down, they will keep him down for the max on a rehab assignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    I think Bartlett is out of options.
    Regardless, they don't need to send him down, they will keep him down for the max on a rehab assignment.
    Yes, I'm saying they will designate him for assignment whenever that time comes. No way he should be up at the expense of never being able to let Pinto DH

Senior Member All-Star
    Not to pick nits (ok, yes to pick nits ) but your post said "optioned".

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we assume no new injuries, this is probably correct (with Bartlett going away for good).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    Not to pick nits (ok, yes to pick nits ) but your post said "optioned".
    Yeah, I was assuming Bart would choose to go to AAA instead of try elsewhere.

Florimon is 2 for 28 after today. Ouch.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bartlett will rehab first at Ft. Myers, then in Rochester, so he won't be eligible to return for a few weeks. Tonkin might earn a spot on the staff, or not. Fien and Thielbar have options and if a starter goes down, Deduno could move to the rotation, making a spot for Tonkin . Mastro might be sent down again, although the club could really use a back up center fielder. I think the exchange would be Nuñez for Florimon. If the outfielders return, Herrmann is expendable because Kubel and Colabello will be the DHing more and Pinto won't be needed as much in that role.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Given the interest level here of DFAs from other teams, who go unclaimed, Bartlett is goneski.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Bartlett will rehab first at Ft. Myers, then in Rochester, so he won't be eligible to return for a few weeks. Tonkin might earn a spot on the staff, or not. Fien and Thielbar have options and if a starter goes down, Deduno could move to the rotation, making a spot for Tonkin . Mastro might be sent down again, although the club could really use a back up center fielder. I think the exchange would be Nuñez for Florimon. If the outfielders return, Herrmann is expendable because Kubel and Colabello will be the DHing more and Pinto won't be needed as much in that role.

It would be nice to have a legit pinch hitting option though, which means we still need Herrmann around, or Gardy won't pinch hit Pinto.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Book it. But who is Deduno supplanting in the rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Interesting question... Especially since bello, Kubel and pinto to an extent are hitting cover off... Here is what I figure.
    -Tonkin optioned for Arcia. (Even though I secretly want it to be a different reliever.)
    -Willingham for Mastroianni (I think hicks should get an off day in CF tomorrow or sometime against a RHP before this happens though)
    -also have to wonder when Nunez is up and either Pedro or Escobar is optioned...
    Escobar is out of options, P-Flo isn't....how much longer will the Twins keep Petey around with his .232 OPS (especially batting back-to-back with little-mentioned Hicks and his sub-Mendoza, .589 OPS), notwithstanding his defense? It is quite possible that Florimon gets optioned in favor of Nunez (adventures in defense?)....(Nunez had 2 more hits today, including a 2-run HR).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was at the Red Wings double header tonight (and going tomorrow too) and Nunez looked good. He was at SS the first game and DH the second (flipped with Santana.) Here is the thing: With Nunez on board at AAA, either he or Santana will be the DH every day, which is not really optimal. Nunez was fine on the field (he even started a successful dp after he bobbled the ball) and good with the bat making solid contact. The HR was off Mike Nesseth who is actually a decent relief pitching prospect for the Phillies (and is from MN FWIW.)

I think that Florimon is not a major league player at this point. He is at the Butera level...

re this:

The only ones with options on the list are Tonkin and Florimon. Hard to see them DFA Mastroianni because even Rochester does not have a CF. They are playing Farris there. Gets even worse: With Buxton out, New Britain has another veteran MiLB middle infielder (30 year old Cory Wimberly) play CF. You have to go to Fort Myers to find another Centerfielder in the Twins' organization. I don't think that Mastroianni is going anywhere. I think that the "DL" is the last nail in Bartlett's coffin. He cannot play. Done. Mastroianni will likely take his place, unless the Twins pick up another CF on waivers some place and Mastroianni can get waived and outrighted to Rochester. I agree that a reliever will go down for Arcia (I hope Fien or Thielbar) and likely Herrmann will go down for Willingham.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I actually think Arcia may go down, not only for rehab, but to get his stroke back. I see no reason to keep Bartlett. I see Nunez coming up sooner rather than later. Will they switch out Herrmann for him, or one of Escobar/Florimon. Willingham means Tonking will go. The Twins will see what Thielbar and Fien can do before turning exclusively to Tonkin.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I was at the Red Wings double header tonight (and going tomorrow too) and Nunez looked good. He was at SS the first game and DH the second (flipped with Santana.) Here is the thing: With Nunez on board at AAA, either he or Santana will be the DH every day, which is not really optimal. Nunez was fine on the field (he even started a successful dp after he bobbled the ball) and good with the bat making solid contact. The HR was off Mike Nesseth who is actually a decent relief pitching prospect for the Phillies (and is from MN FWIW.)

I think that Florimon is not a major league player at this point. He is at the Butera level...

Thanks for the on-site update, Thry and the encouraging Nunez news. I'd love to see Nunez hit the ground running and on a mission to prove he belongs in the bigs. The Wings did play Nunez at 3rd and Santana at SS a day ago, so they do have that configuration option, as well. Would you qualify all of Nunez's AB over the DHer as "major league-ready" or is he still a little rusty? I have to think that the call-up is going to be sooner rather than later- and then the Red Wings will have the playing time dilemma for Santana and Florimon (or does one of them go to New Britain, instead?).

Regarding CF.....is there a surplus position from which the Twins can make a minor league deal for some depth at the position (SP, for starters).

Please provide an on-site update tomorrow, if you have the chance. I'm anxious to hear if Kris Johnson is worthy of knocking on the ML SP door or not.
    Last edited by jokin; 04-13-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Didnt Bartlett sign a minor league deal to begin with? The Twins can offright him and not pass him thru anything

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Didnt Bartlett sign a minor league deal to begin with? The Twins can offright him and not pass him thru anything
    They promoted him to the major league roster, including 40-man roster, just before Opening Day, as they did for Kubel. He would have to pass through waivers to be outrighted, although it is a virtual certainty that no one would claim him.

A) If we can gain some service time or something by keeping Arcia in AAA then I'll be okay with that until other OF start to struggle.

B) I would rather have Florimon here to come in for Nunez in the 7+ inning to play GG defense at SS for Nunez, instead of Escobar. I'm very confident that Florimon can play adequate defense at 3B and 2B if needed also.

C) I would like to see Hermy stick for the simple fact that Gardy will use Pinto in more ways if he is around. Even if Pinto isn't DH with Kubes, Bello, Willy rotating there, he can get an at-bat per game when he is not catching as a PH, which I think matters.

D) I would like to see us claim Fuld. Strong defense for all 3 spots. Good speed. Decent pop. Would rather have him than Mastro.

E) I think I would rather have Tonkin than Deduno in the pen. I'd like to push Swarzak back into LR. If deduno clears, send him to rotation in AAA.

In conclusion.
    -Bartlett cut/AAA
    -Arcia sent down
    -Willingham up for deduno
    -Fuld claimed and Mastro sent down
    -Escobar down and possibly out for Nunez

Lineup:
    2b Dozier
    1b Mauer
    Of Willingham
    Of Kubel
    3b Plouffe
    DH bello
    C Suzuki
    Cf hicks
    SS Nunez

Bench:
    Pinto c/dh
    Fuld of
    Florimon IF
    Hermy c/of

I think with the way out AAA rotation is pitching, we have some depth if an injury occurs and we don't have deduno to fill in anymore. (If he's claimed)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts

My 2 cent guesses:

Bartlett announces retirement within a month. Just kidding.

Anyone but not Tonkin! Arcia gets his full time job back.

I'd like to see a Willingham/Kubel platoon in LF.

But given that the Twins would rather grant tenure to an old guy than offer a scholarship to a young guy, I think Willingham will be in the lineup more than that, and it will cost a guy like Pinto/Arcia some PAs. Remember Willingham said he wanted to finish his career here (get in line, buddy ).

You are correct sir. I was a Florimon supporter this past off season. I think he makes great plays and provides continuity, if only he could hit a little he would do himself huge favors. But if/when the bats cool off or the team goes off the rails, I will be ready to try someone at SS who can hit. Nunez.