Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Samuel Deduno and Strange Decisions

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Samuel Deduno and Strange Decisions

I agree, with this soooo much, Deduno should be starting........the worst pitching staff cant find a spot for someone with the stuff he has, incredulous!!!!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Thanks for the Deduno article, nick, and I agree 100%. I love Samuel as a starter, but he is completely miscast as a reliever. Now that the Twins have committed to the other five as starters, though, this becomes my dream scenario. All five pitch well enough that Deduno stays in the bullpen until summer, at which time Correia or Pelfrey is traded to a contender for a prospect or two, opening up a spot for Samuel.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    Deduno earned a starting spot, but I was fine with him starting the season as a long releiver and giving Gibson another opportunity. It's obvious to everyone that Deduno is off to a rocky start, but what i'm not sure about is whether his shaky performances this season are due to him being moved to the bullpen or him just getting off to a slow start. I'm sure he'll eventually get accustomed to pitching out of the bullpen or he'll get moved back to the starting rotation. He has good movement on his pitches, he's just missing his spots too often and by too much. I'm not overly concerned at this point. It's April 10th.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    He's just too wild to use in high leverage situations, which leaves him as a mop up guy. I can't really fault Gardy though for bringing him in the 11th to pitch for as many innings as he could get.

We went into spring training with SP depth, 4 veterans locked in and 4 other guys competing for the fifth spot, and were told the depth was good, that through performance or injury it would work itself out. Well this is the painful phase we are now going through.

If I were manager/ GM/ pitching coach I'd already be going through Deduno's past pitching lines and trying to line up a favorable start for him later in April.

6. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (04-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Swap Deduno for Pelfrey immediately. Eventually someone else will pitch their way out (Corriea) and Pelfrey can have another shot. Until then, he can give us 3 effective innings at a time out of the bullpen instead of imploding after 5 in the rotation.

8. This user likes howeda7's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chief_Roberts (04-11-2014)

Deduno is your new hero? Oy, perspective please. Its April, lets go a few more weeks before we all join Howard with a "Fans View" that is totally apocalyptic. It will be all right........

With Deduno, Mays & Meyer, it was strange that they resigned Pelfrey for 2 years. I doubt Correia or Pelfrey will bring anything in trade. It's more likely they will have to cut them, Correia this year and Pelfrey next year.

11. This user likes kblack1011's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-11-2014)

kblack, you're unfortunately correct. People love to say, "Trade Correia or Pelfrey," but if you're not good enough to make the Twins rotation, you're not making anybody else's rotation either.

Pelf out of the pen is a good idea though. He does seem to generally do well for the first innings, and then the 5th inning monster shows up.

Bravo, Nick! I wholeheartedly concur. This casting decision seems to leverage only the weaknesses of the pitcher with the best chance to be their best starter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree.....mostly. I am okay with Gibson making the rotation at the expense of Deduno but I am not ok with Pelfry and Corria making the rotation at the expense of Deduno. However....maybe some trade fell thru this spring for Corria. We will never know. I would rarher see Deduno in the bullpen then pitching for a different organization

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Still not a big Deduno fan, but he's one of the best five starters on the team.

I like that Gibson is in the rotation, because I believe it's got to be sink-or-swim time with him. More time in the minors is not what he needs.

It's the Pelfrey signing that has pushed Deduno into the bullpen, IMO.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great recap of the odd moves, it's very hard to find the logic behind them.

Pelfrey does seem to fair better right out of the gate. Maybe he gains 2 mph on his fastball & his style of over using his fastball turns him into a decent setup guy.

Burton does not look good, could be a need for someone to step up into his role with Deduno swapping with Pelfrey.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    While I agree that based on merit Deduno should be in the rotation and is miscast as a reliever, I'm mostly ok with taking another turn or two through the rotation before making a decision on kicking one of the current 5 to the pen and replacing them with Deduno. 2 starts is a pretty small sample size and I'm not ready to give up on anyone yet.

Let's keep in mind that if we went purely based on merit based on results so far, Nolasco is the one that should get kicked into the pen. he's been flat-out awful so far, easily the worst of the five. You have to hope that with his track record and contract he bounces back and his early struggles are either climate related or he just needs some innings to get into form.

The Bartlett decision is the one that I find really troubling. He's shown nothing to indicate he deserves a place on this roster. Again, it's a (very) small sample, but even in a handful of ABs he's looked totally lost at the plate and doesn't have the defensive skills any longer to be a super utility guy. He can't play OF, so what's he doing here? Hermann or Parmelee should have stuck from the start and now that they've added Nunez I have to believe Bartlett's time will be (deservedly) done soon.

The only thing I see now is how absolutely horrible the Pelfrey deal truly was. I was against it from the beginning and know I see that I was likely correct in feeling it was a waste of everyone's time and money.

I would not be surprised at all if the best thing we see from Pelfrey this year is the Wichita State prank played on him. Hopefully this whole thing is just a prank and it will be over soon.

19. This user likes Trautmann13's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-11-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    We're ten games in and already our run differential is -13. Strap in Twins fans...it's going to be a long one.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Pelfrey's 1st start really wasn't all that bad. This last one was but mostly because he was walking guys before the home runs. Baker and Radke used to get off to slow starts in April as well Pelfrey did pretty well in the middle months last year. Way too early to give up on him or anyone else for that matter. Deduno out of the pen isn't bad in and of itself. If he has a 3 ERA out of the pen the wildness is no more of an issue than when he was starting. You notice it because of a wild pitch costing you a run but a 3 ERA is a 3 ERA. What makes it bad is that he can probably outperform at least 2 of the guys in the rotation. By year end the rotation will be Meyer, Deduno, Pelfrey, Gibson and Hughes or Nolasco. You give them all a chance (6 times through rotation maybe) but basically you have laid 4 guys with 4.3 career ERA's and a very good prospect at Anderson's feet wanting him to turn them into 4.00 ERA guys. If instead they are over 5.00 collectively in June then it should be proof enough that Anderson has been the common denominator.

22. This user likes Dantes929's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

adjacent (04-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Swap Deduno for Pelfrey immediately. Eventually someone else will pitch their way out (Corriea) and Pelfrey can have another shot. Until then, he can give us 3 effective innings at a time out of the bullpen instead of imploding after 5 in the rotation.
    Pelfrey's got good control of his two-seamer, but he's throwing waaaaay too many of them, and hitters are adapting. He's got to start mixing in a cutter that bends the other way. Even if he can't spot the cutter as well as his 2-seam, it would throw off hitters that are looking for the ball to bend right with a similar looking pitch that bends the other way.

I could see the Twins swapping Pelfrey and Deduno right now, but I'd work Pelfrey on throwing a cutter, then bring him back into the rotation.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Except we have last year, and before he was injured as data also, Dantes929. For many of us, reaction to Pelfrey's starts is not about 2 data points.
    Lighten up Francis....

Great post, thanks. The Pelfrey signing to block Deduno drives me crazy. Could have used the $$ for something else. Deduno is perfect guy to use while waiting for everyone. I'd be way more likely to buy walk up seats for a deduno start than palfrey and am sure I'm not in the minority.

26. This user likes dwalter's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (04-11-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast