Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who could have seen this Pelfrey start coming...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who could have seen this Pelfrey start coming...

Mike Pelfrey 2013
    5-13 W-L - 5.19 ERA - 1.55 WHIP - 10.8 H/9 - 3.1 BB/9 - 6 K/9 etc...

Mike Pelfrey 2014
    0-2 W-L - 7.84 ERA - 1.82 WHIP - 12 hits - 9 runs - 4 HR's - 6 SO - 7 Walks in 10 IP

Wow, it's a good thing "we arent in the business of rehabilitating players for other teams", what a silly quote Twins FO. Yes its only 2 starts but its 2 starts exactly like the previous year. A straight as an arrow 94 mph fastball thrown 80% of the time. OMG I don't undrstand how Pelf is getting rocked with that combination.

Deduno has had a couple real head scratching moments out of the pen (about as expected as Bartletts start as a SuperUte) for a player of his type coming out of the bullpen. There is no legitimate arguement against Pelfreys rotation spot should being given up to Deduno very very very soon.

How long or how long of a leash should Pelfrey be getting? Im confused as to how he earned this leash to even begin with.

I'd rather see Meyer come on down for Pelf's spot.

3. This user likes twinscowboysbulls's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (04-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    I'd rather see Meyer come on down for Pelf's spot.
    I have no problem letting Meyer start in AAA and taking over for an innefective Deduno or Corriea.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    I give Pelfrey one more start, if it remotely resembles the first two, it's time for Deduno.

6. These 2 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (04-10-2014), Trautmann13 (04-10-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    I think the discussion of how long his leash should be is an interesting one, but I don't expect it to happen in this thread.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I think the discussion of how long his leash should be is an interesting one, but I don't expect it to happen in this thread.
    I never would have "given" him a spot in the rotation to begin with but at this point, maybe 2 more starts and if its more of the same. Maybe we can trade him to the Korean team for Albers back.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 371 Times in 231 Posts
    I could see the Twins starting the clock on May before Meyer.

Still, Plefrey is on a two year deal. I have a hard time believing he doesn't get a minimum of 10 starts barring injury.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    agree with nick. But I think we get some other AAAA guy before either one. And, agreed, no way I would have signed him this offseason, but they did, for two years I believe.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    I have no problem letting Meyer start in AAA
    and taking over for an innefective Deduno or Corriea.
    Deduno had a great spring. His struggles are because he's in the bullpen. He's a starter, and deserves to be starting on this team. Its amazing on a staff this bad they have their best starter in a mopup role in the bullpen.

12. These 4 users like Marta Shearing's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-10-2014), notoriousgod71 (04-10-2014), PopRiveter (04-10-2014), Since71 (04-10-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many starts did the Twins give Jason Marquis in 2012 - 7 or so? I'd put the leash at that point for Pelfrey. If he continues to turn out starts like the first two, I think the Twins make a move 5 to 7 starts in. (I'd wager flipping Deduno and Pelfrey's places will be the first "move").

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At some point the real question should be 'how long Anderson's leash should be?" My answer is "shorter than Pelfrey's."

(Or back to the original question, Pelfrey's leash should be longer than Anderson's.)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

15. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-10-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-10-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    At some point the real question should be 'how long Anderson's leash should be?" My answer is "shorter than Pelfrey's."

(Or back to the original question, Pelfrey's leash should be longer than Anderson's.)
    I tend to agrree with Thrylos in this one, because it is not only Pelffrey, but all of the starters are struggling right now. Having said that, I don't think there will be any move before May in that front.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    I recognize there's another thread about the honeymoon period for the entire staff, but to some extent Pelf's leash length has something to do with how the other 4 starters are doing. Right now only Gibson has been sharp (in his only start), and Pelf actually looks better to me than the other three. He's pitching at a quicker pace, and his 2-seamer is moving very well against lefties. Pelf is a favorite of both Gardy and Anderson, so even though there is more money invested in Correia, Hughes and Nolasco, Pelf may get a longer leash than others because of his popularity.

Deduno looks uncomfortable coming out of the pen, and I think will be in the rotation by June 1. It will be interesting to see who he replaces, assuming all five stay healthy. If Pelf and one of the three higher-priced free agents are both struggling by late May, and the other pitcher has worse stats than Pelf, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff put the higher-priced pitcher in the pen before Pelf.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Im confused as to how he earned this leash to even begin with.
    Pelfrey had a very strong 2nd half last year. He had a 3.65 FIP.

And he got better, even with a bad ERA in September of 2013 due to a anomalous .431 BABIP and outlying strand rate, his FIP that month was 2.89, xFIP- 3.63, meanwhile- he had a commanding, season-best month K/9 of 9.31.

Clearly, after today's start, and the last inning of his first start, he hasn't built on his 2nd half momentum of 2013, but while the results have been similar, the intervening good evidence that he was regaining his effectiveness would suggest that after his first 2 starts, this isn't the exact same situation as last year. According to PitchFX, Pelf hasn't thrown a breaking ball yet- versus the 20% ratio of last season, and he's obviously struggling mightily on the placement of his various FBs- their location is either randomly wild or right down main street.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adjacent View Post
    I tend to agrree with Thrylos in this one, because it is not only Pelffrey, but all of the starters are struggling right now. Having said that, I don't think there will be any move before May in that front.
    Are you talking about the starters or Anderson? There is no way that something will be done with Anderson's leash.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Pelfrey had a very strong 2nd half last year. He had a 3.65 FIP.

And he got better, even with a bad ERA in September of 2013 due to a anomalous .431 BABIP and outlying strand rate, his FIP that month was 2.89, xFIP- 3.63, meanwhile- he had a commanding, season-best month K/9 of 9.31.

Clearly, after today's start, and the last inning of his first start, he hasn't built on his 2nd half momentum of 2013, but while the results have been similar, the intervening good evidence that he was regaining his effectiveness would suggest that after his first 2 starts, this isn't the exact same situation as last year. According to PitchFX, Pelf hasn't thrown a breaking ball yet- versus the 20% ratio of last season, and he's obviously struggling mightily on the placement of his various FBs- their location is either randomly wild or right down main street.
    He actually threw an outside curve on the first pitch after Fuld's HR. I remember because I forgot that he had a curve, since I hadn't seen one this year. You make a good point about Pelf's strong finish last year, and it's another reason I would think Hughes would have a shorter leash (despite the bigger contract).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That the pitching coach still has a job is fascinating to me. It was fascinating to me in the offseason when the defenders of Gardy and Anderson came out claiming things like "managers (and coaches) don't really matter."

Clearly they do. How can yet another year of horrific starts to start the season (and especially in early innings) be a matter of the pitchers themselves and not something with what is going on in their instruction and preparation?

22. These 2 users like Shane Wahl's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-10-2014), Since71 (04-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That the pitching coach still has a job is fascinating to me. It was fascinating to me in the offseason when the defenders of Gardy and Anderson came out claiming things like "managers (and coaches) don't really matter."

Clearly they do. How can yet another year of horrific starts to start the season (and especially in early innings) be a matter of the pitchers themselves and not something with what is going on in their instruction and preparation?
    The reason Anderson still has a job is the same reason Gardy still has a job. The Pohlads don't fire baseball employees. Come work for the Twins, and know you have a job for life!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When has Pelfrey been good?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 379 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Deduno had a great spring. His struggles are because he's in the bullpen. He's a starter, and deserves to be starting on this team. Its amazing on a staff this bad they have their best starter in a mopup role in the bullpen.
    DeDuno is NOT their best starter.

Nolasco, Correia and Hughes have the track record. Gibson has significantly more upside, the only one you can make an argument for is Pelfrey who also had his moments in 2013 as well. Honestly, there is really no excuse to be pitching poorly in the bullpen
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast