Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The USPTO revokes Redskins trademark

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries

The USPTO revokes Redskins trademark

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...789_story.html

Holy moly. Brought to petition by a handful of Native Americans, the USPTO has revoked the rights to the Redskins' various trademarks (not sure if the logo is included in this ruling or just the typeset for any variation of "Redskins"), calling it disparaging toward Native Americans.

Personally, I think the name is an abomination and Snyder should have had the decency to move on from the name years ago. With that said, this ruling invokes my "slippery slope" alarm and I'm not sure about the USPTO erasing hundreds of millions of dollars of IP rights on a moment's notice.

That the very least, this is going to be a fun circus to watch in the coming months/years.

2. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (06-18-2014)

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    I had such mixed feelings about this when I read about the ruling.

I think they should have changed the Redskins name and logo long ago -- voluntarily. And I feel just as strongly about the Braves (mainly based on the Tomahawk chop which I find to be an abomination.) Oddly enough, I've never had as strong of feelings about the Indians despite the headdress, etc. -- I'm just not sure why.

But I agree, this is a really slippery slope. We have a local company that has used the outline of a warrior for many years. During most of those years I never thought of it as disparaging but in recent years, I've become so much more aware of it. Yet that image is strongly associated with a quality company in my mind.

There are hundreds (probably thousands) of small companies with Sioux and Dakota (and other tribes) in their names. I just can't imagine how this could affect all of them.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I work for the company that produces Indian Motorcycles. I love the heritage, love the script of the name... The imagery? I'm really torn on it.

For now, I view it like this:

- Indian, while not a self-given name, doesn't automatically carry a negative connotation. Braves and Chiefs are actually positive imagery, though not really accurate.

- Redskins is a terrible name used to disparage Native Americans for centuries. Like Indian, it was also a name created by white settlers. It really has *nothing* positive going for it.

If the Tigers were named the Detroit Jigaboos, would we have issues with it? Certainly... And that's pretty much the same classification I give Redskins.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts

6. These 2 users like PseudoSABR's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (06-18-2014), gunnarthor (06-18-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    As a Braves fan, I will tell you that multiple times in the last 5 years, the team has attempted to revive previous logos that included a Native American in war paint or such things. All were taken down heavily. The Tomahawk Chop came from Deion Sanders and Florida State, who still uses it as well. I could take or leave the chop, though the tomahawk as part of the logo being disallowed would really bug me.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    As a Braves fan, I will tell you that multiple times in the last 5 years, the team has attempted to revive previous logos that included a Native American in war paint or such things. All were taken down heavily.
    I don't get it. Why put your thumb in the wound and twist? It's a **** move.

The way the Indians have handled this should be a model for all sports franchises. No muss, no fuss, they quietly began removing Chief Wahoo several years ago and now I can't remember the last time I saw his likeness.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    I'm torn on the idea that you allow "positive" references as mascots. To me the problem is that we're using a race of people as mascots. Whether we do that with admiring imagery or disparaging ones is really irrelevant to me.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm torn on the idea that you allow "positive" references as mascots. To me the problem is that we're using a race of people as mascots. Whether we do that with admiring imagery or disparaging ones is really irrelevant to me.
    I largely agree, which is why I prefaced my statement with "for now". If Native Americans later decide that Indians, Chiefs, and Braves need to go, I will not object... But in the meantime, we can start by eliminating the most disparaging and offensive name of the bunch.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Dan Snyder is just another person in a long line of men who are short who feel the need to be a dick to everyone in order to overcompensate for their lack of height (and lack of other areas as well)

If he died, the world would truly be a better place.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Dan Snyder is just another person in a long line of men who are short who feel the need to be a dick to everyone in order to overcompensate for their lack of height (and lack of other areas as well)

If he died, the world would truly be a better place.
    Going out on a limb here.....but too far. I know the guy who doesn't understand what a fact is was grating you but this is a bit much.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...789_story.html

Holy moly. Brought to petition by a handful of Native Americans, the USPTO has revoked the rights to the Redskins' various trademarks (not sure if the logo is included in this ruling or just the typeset for any variation of "Redskins"), calling it disparaging toward Native Americans.

Personally, I think the name is an abomination and Snyder should have had the decency to move on from the name years ago. With that said, this ruling invokes my "slippery slope" alarm and I'm not sure about the USPTO erasing hundreds of millions of dollars of IP rights on a moment's notice.

That the very least, this is going to be a fun circus to watch in the coming months/years.
    pretty much summed up my thoughts. I think the whole thing is pretty overblown, and lots of hard heads are in the way.

I agree. Though the counter-argument that references Notre Dames Fighting Irish and the like exist--however, there's actually a connection between the school and the mascot in that case.

I still think the Washington Pigskins is perfectly viable alternative that would allow them to keep their colors, and their traditional fan practices.

Did any public funding go into Washington's stadium? If so, I think that undermines Snyder's notion that the decision should be his alone.

Going out on a limb here.....but too far. I know the guy who doesn't understand what a fact is was grating you but this is a bit much.
    The guy has napoleon syndrome 101, the whole suing city paper was the most ridiculous thing I have seen.

The death comment is a little much, as I will prob be sued now by him

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I agree. Though the counter-argument that references Notre Dames Fighting Irish and the like exist--however, there's actually a connection between the school and the mascot in that case.
    I find that argument laughable. Notre Dame is a Catholic school that was dominated by Irish students and they gave themselves their own name. To draw allusions between that and a bunch of white dudes naming themselves the Redskins is facepalm-worthy.

I know you agree with me, I just want to punch someone in the face every time I hear or read that defense of the Redskins name.

I find that argument laughable. Notre Dame is a Catholic school that was dominated by Irish students and they gave themselves their own name. To draw allusions between that and a bunch of white dudes naming themselves the Redskins is facepalm-worthy.

I know you agree with me, I just want to punch someone in the face every time I hear or read that defense of the Redskins name.
    Agreed, the equivalent is if they were called the Irish Famines or the Irish Curse.

Right, it takes some gall to go with that argument. It's a clear signal the person is doing very little work to understand the source of the misgivings about their beloved mascot.

I get that there's a really old-school ethic that takes exception with one group of people telling another group of people what they can or cannot do especially through public means. I think we all get that, and value such resistance.

For my part, I don't think any person or agency should force a name change. That said, the name is so brazenly disparaging, that the resistance to change is embarrassing for team, players, and the nfl. It seems forcibly stupid not to change it.

Plenty of goods and commercial products had a 'tradition' of using down-right racist iconography to peddle their goods--these companies changed not through government force (our even public outcry), but seeing that the cultural change in regard such imagery was not simply political, but material (i.e. their eventual bottom line). These brands have changed their names, imagery, what the heck ever, so they could continue to sell goods to American people.

Ultimately this is a decision that is best for business, not one made to appease liberals/minorities or done in the name of political correctness. It's so obviously bad for business going forward to keep the Redskins name. Though I'm not sure Snyder cares.

Pretty sure Aunt Jemima doesn't still advertise like this:
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 06-18-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post

I still think the Washington Pigskins is perfectly viable alternative that would allow them to keep their colors, and their traditional fan practices.

Did any public funding go into Washington's stadium? If so, I think that undermines Snyder's notion that the decision should be his alone.
    Yeah, the Irish counter-argument isn't strong. Hell, I don't care if they have to change that too if it means we aren't being openly racist.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Without quoting all PsuedoSABR's post, I'll agree that the Aunt Jemima advertising has been updated.

But they still use the name.

And frankly, the Mrs. Butterworth's bottle looks a lot like the old Aunt Jemima.

So the line is a little murky. Obviously the name itself doesn't have a derogatory meaning and I want my Mrs. Butterworth's bottle to retain that shape!

(But yes, I still agree on the Redskins).

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Agree the use of "Redskins" is long overdue for the dustbin.

Disagree with this ruling by the USPTO.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

22. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (06-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Without quoting all PsuedoSABR's post, I'll agree that the Aunt Jemima advertising has been updated.

But they still use the name.
    The reason they can get away without changing the name is there's nothing inherently disparaging by the name Aunt Jemima, though the stigma is hardly easy to shake. The issue was the branding and iconography. I know there have been other products that actually changed their names.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast