Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Why is Joe Mauer Such a Lightning Rod?

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Verlander said it best last year when he said even if you make a mistake to Mauer the worst he's going to do is single.
    Thanks for that; until now I had no idea what an arrogant knucklehead Verlander is:

AB 62 2b 4 HR 3 RBI 9 BB 12 SO 10 AVG .371 OBP .473 SLG .581 OPS 1.053

Tip for Verlander: The next time you feel the inexplicable need to denigrate the game of one the best hitters in baseball, you might want to check ESPN Batter vs Pitcher and see if that player has kicked the living crap out of you at the plate, equaling or bettering his insanely great career year rates in the process...
    Last edited by LaBombo; 04-09-2014 at 07:57 PM.

2. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (04-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Zero HR's and zero rbi's through eight games for $23 million could have something to do with it. Or maybe that his arsenal is pretty much limited to opposite field bloops, flares, and bleeders. Or maybe that seemingly his main objective every atbat is to draw a walk and let somebody else worry about driving in runs. Pitchers fear him so much they start him off with a first pitch meatball every atbat that he takes 90% of the time. Verlander said it best last year when he said even if you make a mistake to Mauer the worst he's going to do is single.
    Mauer's doubles and SLG by year:

2005, 26, .411
    2006, 36, .507
    2007, 27, .426
    2008, 31, .451
    2009, 30, .567
    2010, 43, .469
    2011, 15, .368
    2012, 31, .446
    2013, 34, .476

Doesn't really look like a singles hitter to me.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

4. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-09-2014)

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another Mauer hall of fame thread but some seem to be complaining he "walks too much" to get 3000 hits as somewhat of an argument as to why he isnt a hall of famer.

Well...neither did mickey mantle...hell babe ruth didnt. Are they still hall of famers? you know how many primary catchers *do* have 3000 hits.

Its this kind of insane expectation that makes Mauer a target for criticism. I'll say it again. He is one of the 5-8 best catchers of all time. Has in ever. There are 16 total in the hall and he is in the top half of that.

His offensive value is largely in his ability to not make outs. If he was used correctly and if he was in a somewhat decent lineup in his career he would have regularly appeared at the top of the runs scored list. That he didnt is not his fault.

6. This user likes BHtwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 288 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    To what Chief and Leviathan just said.

As a Mauer guy, I will say it is a little disappointing, with the game on the line, to watch him take a base on balls and pass it off to the next guy.
    This is an absurd thing to say. You'd rather he swung at bad pitches in the hope that...he accidentally got a hit? I guarantee if he did swing at those pitches, the Mauer criticizers would be right back here talking about his high chase rate or impatience or blowing it with the game on the line.

8. These 2 users like Beezer07's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-09-2014), twinsnorth49 (04-09-2014)

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    My take is that because he is the face of the Twins. And the Twins have sucked,he gets the focus and the blame. Surrounded by a winning team? He would be St. Joe.

Remember when it was the "M&M boys"? Mauer and Morneau and some were wondering 'how many World Series they would bring????

All Mauer's fault??? I don't think so!

I enjoy his batting titles/catching/hustle and beng consistant; regardless of his "milk toast' personality.

And for being the BEST Twin for those years, despite his injuries.

10. This user likes Jerr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    This is an absurd thing to say. You'd rather he swung at bad pitches in the hope that...he accidentally got a hit? I guarantee if he did swing at those pitches, the Mauer criticizers would be right back here talking about his high chase rate or impatience or blowing it with the game on the line.
    It's almost as absurd as the idea that Mauer doesn't get a single hittable pitch in any of his plate appearances that result in a walk.
    I don't think anyone is asking him to swing at a bad pitch instead of taking a walk.

12. These 4 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (04-09-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-10-2014), mike wants wins (04-10-2014), USAFChief (04-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    It's almost as absurd as the idea that Mauer doesn't get a single hittable pitch in any of his plate appearances that result in a walk.
    I don't think anyone is asking him to swing at a bad pitch instead of taking a walk.
    I don't see anyone suggesting that idea.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 149 Posts
    I would agree pitchers probably don't fear him hitting a home run in those crucial late inning situations, but they do respect his bat. One of the reasons he walks so much in those situations is that he is either intentionally walked or pitched around. The pitcher knows they have a better chance getting the next guy out.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts

Not all of the pitches that he doesn't swing at are "bad". I think what some of us would prefer is that he be more aggressive late in games. While it may not pad his stats overall, it might be more beneficial to the team.

16. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-10-2014), USAFChief (04-09-2014)

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    I would agree pitchers probably don't fear him hitting a home run in those crucial late inning situations, but they do respect his bat. One of the reasons he walks so much in those situations is that he is either intentionally walked or pitched around. The pitcher knows they have a better chance getting the next guy out.
    As in today's game.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Not all of the pitches that he doesn't swing at are "bad". I think what some of us would prefer is that he be more aggressive late in games. While it may not pad his stats overall, it might be more beneficial to the team.
    I think he tries to get a good pitch to hit in every single at bat. I understand people want him to swing at the first pitch more often, but he just doesn't. The dude gets on base at a ridiculous rate year after year after year. He's actually being criticized because the rest of his team is not as good as him.

Senior Member All-Star
    I don't see anyone suggesting that idea.
    Really? Then what does this mean?

You'd rather he swung at bad pitches in the hope that...he accidentally got a hit?

20. These 3 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (04-09-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (04-10-2014), USAFChief (04-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    I think he tries to get a good pitch to hit in every single at bat. I understand people want him to swing at the first pitch more often, but he just doesn't. The dude gets on base at a ridiculous rate year after year after year. He's actually being criticized because the rest of his team is not as good as him.
    The first 2 sentances seem to contradict themselves.
    Often times the first pitch meatball down the middle is going to be the most hittable pitch he's going to get.

Really? Then what does this mean?

You'd rather he swung at bad pitches in the hope that...he accidentally got a hit?
    That sometimes/very often he gets pitched around, especially late & close situations.

Senior Member All-Star
    That sometimes/very often he gets pitched around, especially late & close situations.
    But not always. To assume that the poster he quoted is too stupid to know the difference between the PA's where he gets a couple good pitches but manages to coax a 7 or 8 pitch walk, and the obvious pitch arounds is pretty arrogant.

24. This user likes Mr. Brooks's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (04-09-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    This entire premise is based on the notion that every walk he takes only has bad pitches during the course of the at-bat. That seems to me to be the absurd notion.

He walked today after passing on at least one pitch that could have been driven. Frequently that pitch happens at 0-0 when he's basically wearing a flashing billboard to every pitcher that he won't swing no matter what they lob up to him.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    But not always. To assume that the poster he quoted is too stupid to know the difference between the PA's where he gets a couple good pitches but manages to coax a 7 or 8 pitch walk, and the obvious pitch arounds is pretty arrogant.
    I'll go with the judgment of the career .323 hitter, second guess away, that's not arrogant?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    I'll go with the judgment of the career .323 hitter, second guess away, that's not arrogant?
    I'm not even sure what this means, or how it relates.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Mauer's doubles and SLG by year:

2005, 26, .411
    2006, 36, .507
    2007, 27, .426
    2008, 31, .451
    2009, 30, .567
    2010, 43, .469
    2011, 15, .368
    2012, 31, .446
    2013, 34, .476

Doesn't really look like a singles hitter to me.
    Yeah, but again, most of that was a product of his high avg. His iso% are usually below .150. And only one year did he finish top 10 in doubles (2010). He's finished top 10 in singles 3x.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    So Nick, has your question been satisfactorily answered?

30. These 3 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (04-09-2014), Mr. Brooks (04-09-2014), snepp (04-09-2014)

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast