Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Football thread (saacaaar)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    LOL!!! This, This and this, well said! The stench of failure looks good on them and their insufferable fans, many of which have probably never watched an entire football match in their lives. Moyes should have never left Everton, getting his just desserts I say.

Yes, an influx of Liverpool jerseys and scarves is seemingly inevitable with the bandwagon crowd, all proclaiming to be lifers I'm sure, waxing poetically about Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley from their Google fandom.

Indeed. And lets be clear - I have no problem with the long-term Man U fans who were there prior to the last 20 years of non-stop trophies. The ones who get themselves along to Old Trafford to watch their team and support their team, through wind and rain, thick and thin (although its been a lot more thick than thin lately), good times and bad.

The ones I struggle to have respect for are the "brainwashed generation" in this country. The Sky Sports brigade, who have never been within 400 miles of Old Trafford, and yet declare their undying love for MUFC from their barstool on the other side of the country. And you ask them why ? Why do you shun your own (less successful) local team ? The one that plays just down the road in your own town or city, the one that is desperate for the support, the one you could actually turn up and watch if you so chose ? Why instead to you support this enormous football behemoth through a TV screen ? And the answer is usually something pretty lame. "Well, my dad always supported them" is a favourite. Or "George Best was my favourite player". Or "My uncles hairdresser had a brother who's best friends dog was born near the Manchester Ship Canal that runs by Old Trafford".

But we know the real reason. The real reason is that they want to be associated with success. They're gloryhunters. They want to puff their chest out in their replica shirt, and lord it over the fans of less successful clubs, because they support "the best". But the irony is, they will never find sporting fulfilment in their lives by doing this, because they have made no emotional investment in that club. They see a winning team, they see silverware, they see glory, and like a moth to a lightbulb, they're attracted to it. They flap and buzz all around it. But sure as dollars to donuts, when that lightbulb starts to dim, they'll gradually move away from it. They won't fly so close any more. They'll melt away, maybe towards a bulb thats shining a little brighter somwehere else.

I could never support any other football team than Brighton and Hove Albion. They're my team, my local club, and they've never won any major trophies, at least not anything a plastic Man U fan would recognise as a trophy. We've been up and down the leagues, existing mainly in the lower divisions (except for four years in 1979 - 1983, our glory years, playing in what is now branded as the Premier League). Since then we've hit the bottom of the 4th division, 92nd out of 92 clubs. And right now, we're in the 2nd Division (or 'Championship' as it is now branded), which is one league below the Premier. So we're not big, we're not successful, but any success we DO achieve just feels all the sweeter for it. I wouldn't swap that feeling of a rare promotion, of finishing top of a lower division, or escaping a relegation, for all the pots and baubles the Man U fans get so accustomed year in, year out.

Brighton till I die

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Great stuff, Easy 10.

Although you'll probably hate me because I like Juventus. I have no reason to cheer for them, I just always chose them whenever I played one of those FIFA games. I also cheer for Italy in the Euros and WC (besides the US of course)

Vidal is one of the top players in the world, IMO. Pogba is an up and coming prodigy (haha Man U gave him away for free), and who doesn't enjoy watching Pirlo and Buffon? Their D gets a lot of love but I feel Chiellini and Bonucci are over-rated.

It's a shame they choked in CL this year (they gave up a stoppage-time goal in their first match against Galatasaray that ended in a draw, and lost to them 1-0 in terrible playing conditions)...but watch out for them next year.

But hey, I'll take a 3rd straight Serie A title (and most points/wins ever in a single season)

Forza Juve!

Junior Member Rookie
    Not at all Mr Crapps, I have no axe to grind with Juve, except for an inherent dislike of Carlos Tevez, who refused to come on as a sub for Man City in a Champions League game in Munich. So apparently him trousering £200,000 a week doesn't necessarily guarantee you his services as a player. The club suspended him, so he went on a 2 week golfing holiday in Argentina. Class act.

Anyhoo, my super Seagulls are up against the powerhouse that is Yeovil Town tonight in the penultiumate game of the season (unless our quest for the Playoffs is successful and our season duley extended). If Yeovil fail to win, then they're relegated back down to League One. Such are the stakes when you get to the sharp end of the season...

Come on you stripes

Senior Member Triple-A
    Yeah, Tevez has certainly had his forgettable moments. But he's played great for Juve this year (minus UEFA and Internationally)...but I've heard that's not uncommon. He'll play great the first year with a new team, and then whine his way out. I hope that's not the case, he and Conte have a nice relationship it seems.

Good luck to the Super Seagulls.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Pogba's mad skillz.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Where's your bus now Mr. Mourinho? No trophies for you sir, ha!

Junior Member Rookie
    Well, we only went and did it. In the 92nd minute of the final game of the season, with just seconds remaining, the Seagulls scored a CRUCIAL winner at Nottingham Forest to win 2-1, and snatch the final Playoff spot from Reading. We now playoff against Derby County for a place at Wembley and a shot at promotion to the Premier League. EPIC stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4qx689TR44

God I love football.

8. This user likes Easy 10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Fatt Crapps (05-04-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Where's your bus now Mr. Mourinho? No trophies for you sir, ha!
    Don't speak too soon. Chelsea are still in the hunt for the Premier League title with 2 games to go....quite a battle royale at the top with Liverpool and Man City, the closest title race in years.

In fact, I'm just off down the pub to watch them batter Norwich. Then I can come back and tune in to the Twins this evening. Ahhh, Sundays.

Junior Member Rookie
    Fair play Mister Twinsnorth...a 0-0 against Norwich has all but extinguished Chelsea's title hopes. No trophies for Mourinho again this season. You were spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
    Fair play Mister Twinsnorth...a 0-0 against Norwich has all but extinguished Chelsea's title hopes. No trophies for Mourinho again this season. You were spot on.
    Not much solace in that sadly, absolutely gutted by the meltdown at Selhurst, still in disbelief. Ah well, they've lived on the edge with that defense all year, not many expected them to be top of the table with one to play so at the end of the day a great year and still not over if either The Villa or Baggies can knock off City and Liverpool can go through against Newcastle.

Congrats on your Seagulls, 92 minute? thrilling stuff! Hope you can get up to the Premier League next.

Alright, so I have to admit, I love football and always will--but I can't find a way to get my arms around a club team in the Premiership. I tried with Newcastle in the 90's (when I got one match a month whenever my Montanan tv channels were busy showing grouse hunting re-runs); I tried with Tottenham in the late Aughts (when students in India glommed on to trendier Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U)...but I just can't get riled up to follow one squad throughout a whole campaign.

Any suggestions? As a Twins fan, I'm thinking that choosing big markets and "on the verge" teams has been a mistake...I'll put up with long bouts of suffering and the risk of relegation, I can't just tune in every four years, it's too much fun.
    Peanuts From Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsFromHeaven View Post
    Alright, so I have to admit, I love football and always will--but I can't find a way to get my arms around a club team in the Premiership. I tried with Newcastle in the 90's (when I got one match a month whenever my Montanan tv channels were busy showing grouse hunting re-runs); I tried with Tottenham in the late Aughts (when students in India glommed on to trendier Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U)...but I just can't get riled up to follow one squad throughout a whole campaign.

Any suggestions? As a Twins fan, I'm thinking that choosing big markets and "on the verge" teams has been a mistake...I'll put up with long bouts of suffering and the risk of relegation, I can't just tune in every four years, it's too much fun.
    Everton, good squad, overshadowed by their more famous cross town rivals Liverpool and always seem to be on the outside looking in. They had a good run this year, almost grabbed a Champions League spot away from Arsenal but once again the bridesmaids. They're not rich, they're competitive and they'll always break your heart.

There is also nothing quite like a Merseyside Derby so even if they are low down the table you can always have a successful season by beating Liverpool.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 05-08-2014 at 06:54 AM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Not much solace in that sadly, absolutely gutted by the meltdown at Selhurst, still in disbelief. Ah well, they've lived on the edge with that defense all year, not many expected them to be top of the table with one to play so at the end of the day a great year and still not over if either The Villa or Baggies can knock off City and Liverpool can go through against Newcastle.

Congrats on your Seagulls, 92 minute? thrilling stuff! Hope you can get up to the Premier League next.
    Its a shame Liverpool imploded on the run-in, but they'd have taken 4th place and Champions League qualification before a ball had been kicked had it been offered, so it shouldn't totally detract from what has been a great season. As you say, nobody expected them to be challenging for the Title, but that leaky defence cost them.

As Liverpool started racking the goals up at Selhurst in an effort to close the gap on the goal difference, they were retrieving the ball from the Palace net and trotting back for the restart a little too quickly for Palace's liking, trying to humiliate them - hence the amazing rally from 0-3 to 3-3 in the last few minutes. I bloody hate Palace as well !

PeanutsFromHeaven - Brighton & Hove Albion (The Seagulls) play their 1st leg Playoff game tonight. If we get into the Premiership in the next couple of weeks then why not put your arms around us

We certainly wouldn't be challenging for the Title, but a battle against relegation can be every bit as enthralling just trying to stay up out of that dreaded bottom 3...come join us !

There is also nothing quite like a Merseyside Derby so even if they are low down the table you can always have a successful season by beating Liverpool.
    A good rivalry sounds like the kind of thing to keep me engaged, I like keeping an eye on Americans abroad and while I cheered on Donavan's run, I think the chance to watch Timmy Howard should give me at least one individual to hold on to while I try to fall in love with the others.

Thank you!
    Peanuts From Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsFromHeaven View Post
    A good rivalry sounds like the kind of thing to keep me engaged, I like keeping an eye on Americans abroad and while I cheered on Donavan's run, I think the chance to watch Timmy Howard should give me at least one individual to hold on to while I try to fall in love with the others.

Thank you!
    That's a good reason, the Toffees have a lot of exciting players, Barkley, McCarthy, Mirallas and Baines. Would love to see them keep Lukaku from Chelsea but not likely, what a player.

A query to all the "footie" fans here.

I know we've mostly focused on league football, but in honor of the World Cup, I wanted to write a blog about how your favorite Twins player should influence your back up World Cup pick (assuming you cheer first for nation: US/England)--So I'm trying to think which player matches best with which country? (Any feedback you give would absolutely be given credit in the blog post

Initial thoughts:
    Mauer = Germany (Consistent, efficient, not terribly glamorous, but definitely admired broadly)
    Perkins = Spain (Great, not terribly flashy or egocentric, home grown, seems to wait to the last minute to do something)
    Dozier = Belgium (Rising power, solid defense, funny accent)
    Bert Blyleven = Holland (d'uh...also never took down the brass ring--World Cup or Cy Young)
    Harmon Killebrew = England (Hard working, gritty, symbolic of the sport)
    Buxton = Colombia (Young, exciting, a little banged up right now)
    Peanuts From Heaven

As the World Cup looms, John Oliver tells us about FIFA.

Why do players do this? Do they get paid? We can't get baseball players to show up for the baseball world tournament, and when they do, they don't really try.

If I owned a soccer team, I'd tell FIFA to get bent.
    Sold or not, empty seats behind homeplate are an eyesore and an embarrassment.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    So I sort get dragged into the World Cup b/c my co-worker is a huge fan of Mexico. And then I watch Brazil/Croatia and watch all the flopping and ****ty officiating and think, "Oh yeah, this really sucks."

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,931 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Surprised you footballers aren't providing more World Cup dialog. This is for you nonetheless:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhoeR9n6lU

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Why do players do this? Do they get paid?
    While a lot of players feel pressure to show up in order to prove themselves against the best in the world (and earn a transfer to a better team/prove they belong in historic conversation), they do get paid and rather well for little work. In addition to an appearance fee they get prize money depending on how far they get. Disputes about how much they get paid get acrimonious (see: Cameroon almost striking before the tournament, Ghana losing two players mid-tournament for hitting a national representative over poor pay). But it also ends well...Algeria gave all their prize money to charity, and they have fewer top played players than either Cameroon or Ghana. If "Dominican Baseball" offered cash...I think we'd never see another team win.
    Peanuts From Heaven

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast