Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Hangout and Talk Twins (4/8)

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Hangout and Talk Twins (4/8)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the Nunez trade.
    I view it as another example of the Twins being cheap.
    Here is why:
    If they really want to upgrade the SS position, just go out and sign Drew.
    Sure, you'd have to overspend, and I know it's easy to say when its not my money. But, I fail to see how overspending on him would hurt in any other way then perhaps philosophically (having a "price" and sticking to it).
    If there is one thing that we supposedly have (according to ownership) it is payroll flexibility.
    Yes we (hopefully) have some promising players coming up soon that will eventually need to get paid, but almost none of those players are even up yet, meaning they won't be due big money for 4 to 6 years.
    We could easily bite the bullet and "overpay" for Drew on a 3 year deal, and it wouldn't hamper our mid to long term payroll outlook.
    Nunez is, at best, only a marginal upgrade over Florimon.
    Sulbaran is a good (maybe not great) prospect. He's about the range of prospect you would expect to get with the 2nd round pick that you'd have to forfeit to sign Drew. So basically, for the same value of prospect you can either have a marginal upgrade (Nunez), or a significant upgrade (Drew).
    Tell me why I'm wrong to think this.
    Thanks.

3. These 2 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (04-09-2014), Willihammer (04-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    POST SHOW COMMENTS
    With guys coming off the DL in the OF position soon, what are the forseeable moves IYO.
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 04-09-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    POST SHOW COMMENTS
    In terms of Polanco and Goodrum playing new positions:

As I think about it - I believe that they are playing SS and 3B respectively until another outfielder comes off the DL. Its the organizations opportunity to get them extra reps elsewhere without hindering any higher level prospects (Harrison). Once Buxton or JD Williams or Roberts gets back I would imagine Harrison going back to the infield (3B) more regularly. The OF would be to crowded at that point. Right now the moves are Win Win and make sense.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    POST SHOW COMMENTS
    With guys coming off the DL in the OF position soon, what are the forseeable moves IYO.
    Such a tough question. I think Buxton will get just a few games with the Miracle before moving up to New Britain. JD Williams has earned playing time with the Miracle. Lance Ray is a hitter, though he could be pushed up to the Rock Cats quickly too.

Could move someone to CR too to get some bats there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Typical "Stohsie" laughing off, disregarding, and not taking seriously any question that is even remotely critical of the Twins front office.

Thank you Jeremy for taking the question more seriously.
    I thought your take on the question was pretty solid, even if I disagree with some of it.