Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burroughs Designated for Assignment

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Sean is a recovering drug addict, singles hitting third basemen who is currently not hitting singles. I don't believe anyone will be knocking at the door during the waiver period. Just a hunch.

Rochester will be his next stop. Unless he decides to go back to his Las Vegas Nicolas Cage impersonation from a few years ago.
    Wow. That didn't seem like your style. Yuck.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    My sentiments exaxtly.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Remember when everyone was pretty pleased with the Twins bench? Way back in early April? Remember that? That was awesome.
    We had options albeit not amazing options but better options than 2011 and now we have next to none and we just got through April. If May continues at this pace our Roster will have 14 pitchers and 4 catchers and 6 people who may go on the DL but end up just missing a week here or there. What the hell happened... The TR and Gardy show need better writers because this plot sucks.

This team needs direction and I'm not sure they know what direction to go in the short term. Benefit of the doubt that the long term plan is rock solid.

On the outside it looks like too many cooks right now. TR is making a fruit salad and Gardy is convincing him that it needs Oregeno or something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    My sentiments exaxtly.
    Oops. "Exactly".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    We had options albeit not amazing options but better options than 2011 and now we have next to none and we just got through April. If May continues at this pace our Roster will have 14 pitchers and 4 catchers and 6 people who may go on the DL but end up just missing a week here or there. What the hell happened... The TR and Gardy show need better writers because this plot sucks.

This team needs direction and I'm not sure they know what direction to go in the short term. Benefit of the doubt that the long term plan is rock solid.

On the outside it looks like too many cooks right now. TR is making a fruit salad and Gardy is convincing him that it needs Oregeno or something.
    There is no need to get upset, We can all watch the Twins for **** sakes and angel food cakes, but in truth, the Twins are 6 feet under.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Yeah, that was a left turn. To keep the left turn going to 360 degrees. I was just making an aggressive point that this was a pretty safe DFA. Ill be surprised if the Orioles are a looking for a phone number.

I like Sean... I'm seriously pulling for him. Hope he keeps clean and I hope baseball helps him do just that. I want someone on the roster to push Velencia but that concept doesn't work if the only PA's he gets are cold off the bench against upper 90's closers.

Its May 1 only... Hughes 10 at bats and Burroughs 17 at bats and they are gone. The bench has been cleared and up comes Butera with his .178.

Meanwhile... Only 3 Twins have an on base percentage over .325. So the obvious answer is cut the guys with 27 at bats combined. This is messed up. How big a finger is needed for this dyke.

I lost a little faith today. I'm gonna have to try and walk it off. Right now I'm just left turning until I'm dizzy.

I can't be "upset", really, with giving up on a player that never figured to have a significant role (same way I felt about Hughes), but I'm a little confused by it. What was the number, 18 PA's? And about a third of those were pinch hits. Granted, there's a good chance he'd be hitting .220 or less with average defense had he played everyday (or even only against righties). But we never really gave him that chance. It just seems like guys like Mike Lamb and Tony Batista got longer looks than Burroughs did, and those were better teams than this one.

I'm not one of those guys that says "cut Valencia", but I applaud them for at least trying to press him a little by threatening a platoon situation. But that strategy ended before it ever really started, apparently.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Biggest suprise is we only have one 3B in Valencia. Carroll could get some time over there, might mean another infielder coming up.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Time to pickup Bobby Abreu and get a real bat in the lineup.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I can't be "upset", really, with giving up on a player that never figured to have a significant role (same way I felt about Hughes), but I'm a little confused by it. What was the number, 18 PA's? And about a third of those were pinch hits. Granted, there's a good chance he'd be hitting .220 or less with average defense had he played everyday (or even only against righties). But we never really gave him that chance. It just seems like guys like Mike Lamb and Tony Batista got longer looks than Burroughs did, and those were better teams than this one.

I'm not one of those guys that says "cut Valencia", but I applaud them for at least trying to press him a little by threatening a platoon situation. But that strategy ended before it ever really started, apparently.
    I agree with you completely. In the end... Burroughs doesn't matter... The odds were against him. He isn't George Brett. In the end... Drew Butera doesn't matter... He won't play much.

What I'm walking off is the cutting of players who didn't play which has led to the cementing of players who are not performing. I'm losing faith because of that.

Im also walking this off. Somewhere in this thread... Someone mentioned that Burroughs could have been sent to AAA out of spring training. This is a spot on assessment. He was signed to a minor league deal.Burroughs made this team for a reason and 17 at bats later the direction changed again.

And here comes Butera. The backup catcher insurance meanwhile we have no insurance at the other positions.

I just lost some faith in the front office and it really has nothing to do with Burroughs as a player.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the offensive side, the results haven't been that good, but the stats look pretty good. I say this after some nobody three-hit them last night. Doumit and Valencia's numbers are probably less than one would expect, Carroll's BA is low and right field hasn't worked yet. Burroughs and Hughes were let go because the Twins thought they would be no worse without them and I agree. I also am pretty close to certain that Burroughs will not get claimed and he said earlier he was willing to go to the minor leagues. I view Butera as very temporary insurance--when Morneau is back and Mauer is fully healthy there won't be any need for Drew. I also view Burroughs as insurance after he clears. It appears to me that there is a need for a middle infielder and if it is Dozier, the Twins would then have Carroll available to back up all three positions capably. Somebody needs to seize right field. I am in the group that says give Plouffe another couple weeks to a month and make a decision on him. If he fails, I would hope that Benson would have started to hit in Rochester. If not, there is Tosoni, Clete, Revere and Doumit, to name a few.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12